Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

What is your favorite firearm

Comments

• Nanny OggNanny Ogg Bat with a BroomstickPosts: 9,404 Pool Forum VIP
    My usuals are usually unprintable, at least they are in here unless I want to get banned again LOL
  • David RohrerDavid Rohrer Posts: 428 Pool Pro
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    My usuals are usually unprintable, at least they are in here unless I want to get banned again LOL

i edited my previous post. so have you? (oh, and LOL :D)
    edited November 11
    I've always used that, and "Shinyyyyyy" from the Crow from hmmm, one of those disney animations, and "Sparkleyyyyyyyyyy" from Templeton the rat on Charlottes Web. I get distracted easily, b00b33s do it too, lol, sad but true :D

EDIT*** but to STAY ON TRACK (ahem, lol) have you ever fired a weapon nanny? not necessarily modern smokeless firearm, but an old black powder, or stringed archery weapon? slingshot? bb gun? target shooting is FUN! especially when you realize you are not only good at it, but ambidextrous and good at it either stance :wink: the more you shoot the more you want to, lol. And i don't mean going out and acting like a jackhole either. My father was 23 years military, over 12 years Law Enforcement and on State, Federal, and Military shooting teams for longer than that. I was engrained in gun SAFETY culture. If i EVER mishandled a firearm my father would have broke it over me and that is more truth than fiction! An approved range, with responsible handling of a firearm, and a "range master" giving safety instructions, can be one of the most exhilarating experiences you will ever have and even IF it might not sound like it until you've tried it you really don't know. ESPECIALLY if you are on a SPECIAL range and get to shoot some tannerite or something and it goes BOOM! I've had a lot of specialized training so i understand the safety in it and the RESPONSIBILITY most importantly. Bullets don't come back just like words and can do a lot more permanent damage. In the same vein as specialized training and making things go boom, i'll have to tell y'all about UXO school sometime. THAT, was probably the best 200hrs of my LIFE in nearly 47 years (16th will be 47 :wink: ). I was going to, and still could if i didn't have the dogs and could travel....do that for a living. Who WOULDN"T want to answer the question "What do you do for a living?" with "I blow $#!+ up" LOL :D

Funny story since you asked David but about 20 years ago I went on a works day out with colleagues to a clay pigeon shoot.
    Up until that point I had never fired any gun in my life but unbelievably I took to it like a duck to water, and much to the chagrin of all the boys I actually outshot every single one of them and went home with the award for the most accurate shooter of the day LOL
    The instructor said I was a "natural" ! LOL
    edited November 11
    Oh yeah and the funniest part of it was the time when I was standing in front of a semi-circle of my colleagues all waiting their turn, along with the instructor/supervisor, taking my shots when one of them said something and I turned around to reply... while still holding the loaded shotgun at waist level in front of me...

You have never seen a bunch of people hit the floor so fast ! LOLOL :D
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Been there, done that.Posts: 2,487 Pool Champion
    edited November 11
    I did that clay pigeon shooting a good few years ago Nan, while on a business trip to Wisconsin. I was aked by one of the factory staff if there as something i would like to do while i was there. And i asked them was it possible to go to a gun range?

Apparently, there wasnt one near to where we where staying, but they had the clay pigeon shooting a few miles away. So we went out there for a couple of hours and shot our hearts out, lol. I had never shot a shotgun before (but have used hand guns), and it was described to me as an over and under (like dave described earlier, and must be something to do with inexperience, @David Rohrer? ). The chap i was visiting Wisconsin with was from a gun club in Ireland, and prided himself on his shooting.

We went around twice, with something like 10 posts to shoot from in each round. My favourite was what they described as a rabbit run, where the disc ran along the ground. But the best part for me was that i outshot the chap who was with me, and hit more targets than him, including the rabbit run, twice, lol. Loved it.

WIsh we could go on a shoot together JImmy, and let the amateurs show the experts how it's done hahaha
    Oh yes and btw, the guy who organised the shoot, much like your guy, also thought he was the bees knees with a shotgun, and when he came second to me in the overall rankings he was not a happy chappy LOL
    In fact after that day he never actually spoke to me again :D
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    WIsh we could go on a shoot together JImmy, and let the amateurs show the experts how it's done hahaha

Definitely, and a few beers too. But the beers come later, lol.
    @David Rohrer

I've just re-read your last posts and I think I've worked out what UXO is LOL
    Unexploded Ordinance ?

We want to hear that story ! C'mon... spill ! LOL
    edited November 12
    LOL, i was afk for a bit, sorry (SQUIRREL!!! :D ). Glad you've at least gotten the experience to clay shoot (the both of you :) ). I have some vid of my sister and cousin, and both those ladies can do the dang thing too when it comes to clay shooting! Was proud of them both :) My sister also hit the pie plate target on a hay bale at 45yds with the crossbow, nearly dead center. I take solace in knowing my dad's lessons in it weren't lost on her either ;)

Yes Unexploded Ordnance, the civilian version of EOD is what i went to school for in 2012. I'm 40hr HAZWOPER cert'd also, and up until last year was keeping HAZWOPER 8hr refresher and physical current as a "just in case" but my divorce became final and well my dogs are more important to me than travel for $$. I can make $$ here ;) I own my own company and have much more freedom and time for my life this way and have that as a "backup" if necessary on the resume.

But in 2011, on a work travel trip to Parris Island USMCRD, and staying the Holiday Inn there in Beaufort SC (no i DIDN'T join the marines and go to Parris Is, but i DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night :D lol ), i met this guy that did UXO, while sitting in the bar at the hotel after hours. I was being my normal self and cracking jokes at this and that, as discussions arose and on the patio outside smoking he asked about my background,etc and i became enamored with the concept of employment doing something so incredibly fun sounding ( i mean come on, you know you asked to hear it so it intrigued you too :D ). I ended up "winning a lottery" if you will through his website in early 2012 and wasn't working for that company i was doing the work travel trips anymore and it seemed like a God send. Went to TX to school for UXO and did two solid weeks of demolition. One non-electric means (time fuse, to blasting caps) and one via modern electrical detonation (shock tube, and radio transmitted wired and wireless ignition sources). It was with several "means" of explosives but we won't go into those details as they're not as exciting and you wouldn't know what i was talking about and we'd both end up on some list. me for saying it and you for googling it, lol :D just know that from ear to ear, i was grinning for two solid weeks. ESPECIALLY after i heard that because on our last day of electric demo week, and because our class was largest ever through that school at once (by at least 4 more students per class ratio), we did some multi-shot blasts (3 ppl simultaneously holding their wireless ignition devices (fingers NOT on the bang switch!! :D ) while one is screaming FIRE IN THE HOLE, FIRE IN THE HOLE, FIRE IN THE HOLE and then detonating on the instructor's "finger wag" go sign) and as a result of those multi-shot blasts we got a call from the STATE headquarters for Emergency i think in Austin or something, like 40 some miles away, saying they felt the tremors and it registered on their richter meters, lol :D yeah, i did that LOL :D Did 200 hours of school but 2 weeks of demo. The rest was ordnance identification and location (magnetometers) and testing, lol.
    f8ifxbaiwfd0.jpg
    Post edited by David Rohrer on
    LOL sounds like you had a blast David ( see what I did there ? Sorry couldn't resist :D )
    Dave, that UXO is some serious chit my man. I know that it can go assend up sometimes, so really knowing your stuff is a godsend when it comes to doing it right. I have watched the videos on youtube where they get experts in and go through the whole process for the cameras, and still **** it up. lol.

A demolitions expert is something i would probably have done if i was resident there, but unfortunately, most things that have to be blown up here have already been blown up, lol.

Just as a friendly question, can you answer my query about an over and under in my last post? My question was (not in actual words, but in intention) is an over and under shotgun a beginners shotgun? I dont know the answer, but i got the feeeling it was?
    edited November 12
    COOLOCKER wrote: »
    Dave, that UXO is some serious chit my man. I know that it can go assend up sometimes, so really knowing your stuff is a godsend when it comes to doing it right. I have watched the videos on youtube where they get experts in and go through the whole process for the cameras, and still **** it up. lol.

A demolitions expert is something i would probably have done if i was resident there, but unfortunately, most things that have to be blown up here have already been blown up, lol.

Just as a friendly question, can you answer my query about an over and under in my last post? My question was (not in actual words, but in intention) is an over and under shotgun a beginners shotgun? I dont know the answer, but i got the feeeling it was?

yep, was getting to that. An over and under is the term given to a "double barrel" that is TYPICALLY two different calibers given the one over the other design (over/under ;) ). A "double barrel" is just generally RECOGNIZED as the side by side configuration because it is the most seen configuration with the term "double barrel". Obviously they both are it's the configuration that is what dictates the terminology from manufacturers. An over and under, especially in the case you spoke of can be the same caliber as in two 12ga. rounds, just like side by side "double barrels" are mostly in that caliber. My first shotgun experiences were with both configs of "double barrels", an over and under black powder 10ga shotgun and a side by side black powder 10ga. The shells for those, compared to a modern 12ga would make you think they are more like a cannon gauge , lol. I was about 10, and my grandpa let me "try it" because i was so persistent and he knew i'd shot with dad's coaching already (we'll get to THAT in a sec.....lol). He stood behind me, with his big bear arm wrapped around and his giant hand in front of mine on the forearm stock of it and told me to put it against my shoulder, and carefully aim as i'd been taught and when i was ready to slowly squeeze the trigger while holding aim on target and little did i know he'd stepped to side from behind me but still holding forearm so when it kicked my little @rse back about 5ft onto the ground, he was still holding the shotgun and laughing his head off :D now........back to dad and already having been coached in shooting......when i was 5, yes FIVE, dad swears i was 6 or 7 and in 1st or 2nd grade but i clearly remember being in my kindergarten teacher's class with bruised (EVERYTHING :D ) shoulder the next few days. My dad and his Air Force rifle shooting team buddies were on our farm at that time, in Ohio. We had like 10 or 12 acres and it was long narrow field so perfect rifle range. Also sloped downwards the entire way to a creek and wooded area and sloped back up through woods to farmland on other side. Anyway, like with grandpa i was NAGGING my father to LET ME SHOOT. Against his buddies' better advice he was like "no, i got this, he can do it, sit on down there on the picnic table bench". He put two sandbags up on the table as a rifle rest and had me shoulder the m1 Garand (.30-06 caliber, just bigger than .308 or british .303 ). Like grandpa, he had his had on forearm grip and like grandpa wasn't behind me like i thought and when i pulled that trigger on that M1 i flew from a sitting position, leaning forward with everything in order in the target in my sight.............to flat on my back and OHHH WHAT A PRETTY BLUE SKY!!! about 3ft back from the picnic table bench but when i look at my father is he concerned? no.....he's holding his precious rifle and he and his buddies are just having a ball with laughing at me, lol :D i can laugh at it now but i remember as little as i was, my little conniving brain was plotting revenge. i was livid that he let me hit the ground but "saved the rifle" LOL :D
    Wow, great explanation Dave, and one that brings me to my next question. You mention a double barrel, but i seem to remember a single barrel, with over and under. Am i right in assuming this?

As for the kick back, i do and will always remember the the slightly swollen bottom lip from the kick back from that gun. I was told, hold the **** into the shoulder, grip it tight, look down the barrel, sight it, and squeeze it. And when i say slightly swollen lip, i might just be exagerating, lol.
    To this day, the only two things i've shot that can compare to that 10ga shotgun kick though (WAY worse than the M1, lol) is a .50cal rifle (both modern, and a black powder) and then my single barrel, single shot 12ga shotgun, with a "pumpkin ball" (standard round slug shot).....that will leave a small framed person possibly with a cracked collar bone or shoulder, lol. But it will knock a 200+ lb deer on it's **** like NOW and it DOESN'T get back up ;) I made that mistake from elevated in a treestand once.....first time i ever shot one of those pumpkin balls and didn't make a vital shot and also first time ever shot from elevated position......HOLY cow.....it almost knocked me clean off my stand and when i climbed down to retrieve the buck (little racked but big bodied 4pointer, again, can't eat the horns :D ) i saw that it wasn't a vital shot but that slug hit his SPINE and severed the nerve and broke the spine and it killed him... wow! anyway, those kick like a donkey! lol if anyone ever asks if you wanna shoot a slug shot and it's in a single barrel single shot shotgun you had BETTER say no, nan, lol.
    Just thinking back now Dave. it could have been a double barrel with one barrel sitting straight above the other barrel, not like side by side?
    yeah, that would be an "over and under" (but technically still double barreled right ? ;) ) again, terminology to more easily recognize the firearm being spoken of is why they call them one or the other. It could have been a benelli if you were sport clay shooting they are popular, and Ithica brand too for that.
    yeah, that would be an "over and under" (but technically still double barreled right ? ;) ) again, terminology to more easily recognize the firearm being spoken of is why they call them one or the other. It could have been a benelli if you were sport clay shooting they are popular, and Ithica brand too for that.

Sport clay is more than probably the right assumption Dave, as it was for fun in a forest. Thanks for the info my man, cheers.
  • SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,209 Pool Forum VIP
    edited November 12
    , but i DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night :D lol ),

I thought those great benefits were only achievable at Holiday Inn Express....?

LOL...if one is to believe commercials.... :D :D

X5lbOom.gif

• G11gamingG11gaming Contributor XDPosts: 2,884 Pool Champion
    An UZI.... man they are so hip. B)