Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

What is something or some place that you remember from your younger years that no longer exists.

zip11737azip11737a Posts: 1,592 Pool Champion
edited March 9 in Forum Games
Prior to the convenience stores there use to be 'ice houses'. Where you could buy a few groceries, beer, soft drinks, and (of course ice). Also folks could sit and drink. Maybe a pin ball machine and juke box were in place.

Comments

• SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 4,663 Pool Champion
    edited March 9
    I would have to say Pay Telephones...... ;)

They used to be a part of the environment no matter where you were...... :*

I remember the airports always had whole areas with nothing but pay phones.....last time I was at Portland, OR International Airport I might have counted ten of them throughout
    the facility........sigh... "Kirk to Enterprise" rules today.....lol.... walk down a busy city street and no one makes eye contact....all in their own little world with that phone.... :D

Today it is rare to see them......and when you do, they rarely work....lol....usually broken from vandalism....says a LOT about society today me thinks.... :p

Last_Sig_zpsii1euxxe.gif
  • omgsunomgsun Posts: 2,239 Pool Champion
    um...
  • zip11737azip11737a Posts: 1,592 Pool Champion
    Light dimmer switches on the floor board.
    oh oh oh... a few toy stores
  • jiule--jiule-- Posts: 583 Pool Expert
    My clothes that used to fit hehe, ,Also the rag and bone man ,,going back years lol.....
    5 cent full size candy bars
  • safhiresafhire Posts: 1,315 Pool Champion
    Everthing looks smaller these days :p ,. the half penny sweets,,,used to get a bag full...was shocked to see the price of a pkt of polo mints 60pence
    got these for 15p once upon a time......
  • ZX 10 RZX 10 R Posts: 382 Pool Pro
    Woolworths Stores , liked to look around them.
    I miss woolworths store ...sold almost everything you needed ....chocks. clothes. Music.stationery. household accessories....garden gadgets..pet stuff..cleaning stuff the list is endless ..a good coffee cafe too :) yes definitely miss that !
  • KazkatKazkat Posts: 1,287 Pool Champion
    edited March 30
    I miss woolies too :)

crisps for 2 n a half p a packet
    and a few shops
    I forgot about Woolworths....... Use to buy my playing marbles there How about the ice cream man pushing his buggy and ringing his bells?
    zip11737a wrote: »
    I forgot about Woolworths....... Use to buy my playing marbles there How about the ice cream man pushing his buggy and ringing his bells?

still have them

um... A good president.
    omgsun wrote: »

still have them

um... A good president.
    I knew it wasn't your marbles. :D Anyone remember Bosco?
    :D Anyone remember Bosco?

Lol.....yep.....as an aside, that was George Costanza's password on his bank card..... :D :D

And I miss Woolworths as well.....the precursor to Walmart....but much better....especially the lunch counter.... ;)

Schwinn Bicycles....
    Goodbye Woolworths :'(

Baseball cards with the flat bubble gum. A lot of good cards were lost when boys clothes pinned them to their bicycle spokes. ( imitated motorcycle sounds) also used balloons for better effect. :o
  • Abdul-lattīfAbdul-lattīf Posts: 96 Pool Player
    9999 game. 6ft3ptbka0fq.jpg
    To recent Abdul. Drive-In theaters!! :D
    People acknowledging each other and interacting in public places......instead of being totally absorbed in their cellphones..... ;)

Last_Sig_zpsii1euxxe.gif
  • *Aurora**Aurora* There is no substitute.Posts: 5,722 Pool Forum VIP
    Boys not wearing hats/caps/tuques/hoodies inside.