Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

just an FYI...

HummakavuulaHummakavuula Posts: 3 New Member
Anyone can win playing *hide the cue ball*.....it takes zero skill and even less talent. Make an effort at least, otherwise, you are simply broadcasting you lack of skill and sportsmanship.

Comments

• *Aurora**Aurora* Join the N0V8MB8R League!Posts: 6,227 Pool Forum VIP
    Snookering is part of game, imo. As annoying as it is when it happens to you, you shouldn't let yourself end up in that situation.
  • Ryan CawdorRyan Cawdor Posts: 281 Pool Pro
    And it takes skill to get out of a snooker... knowing the angles for kicking the cue ball 1 or 2 or 3 rails is a good skill
  • G11gamingG11gaming Contributor XDPosts: 2,832 Pool Champion
    *Aurora* wrote: »
    Snookering is part of game, imo. As annoying as it is when it happens to you, you shouldn't let yourself end up in that situation.

I love a good snooker. :p
  • CorbyCorby Posts: 363 Pool Pro
    If i create my own poor position I'll play to make a shot, even if it's a low percentage shot. If you play hitt'm hard style and miss but leave me bad I'll hide the cue if possible.
  • SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,168 Pool Forum VIP
    edited July 23
    In an American bar, from my experience, the third time you do an intentional snooker in a game of 8 ball, be prepared to step out to the parking lot for a fisti-cuffs..... ;)

In the UK and parts of Europe, Asia and the Caribbean, it is considered an art form in and of itself.....go figure.... :D

So bottom line is.....in this International game based on International rules of the WPA, you need to be prepared for and expect people to play all different styles of play.....tis the way of the world.....at least the virtual one.... ;)

X5lbOom.gif
  • HummakavuulaHummakavuula Posts: 3 New Member
    The point of the game is to pocket all the balls on the table. If you simply hide the ball and not drop a single one and run the clock out....there is no skill in that. Period.
    The point of the game is to pocket all the balls on the table. If you simply hide the ball and not drop a single one and run the clock out....there is no skill in that. Period.

what you just said is different than in your first post. You mentioned running the clock out this time around. I kinda agree with that.

BUT.... what's so different about running the clock out versus in a football game, rather than the QB doing his thing, he runs the clock out in the last 2 minutes of a game?

And safeties are valid. It takes *skill* to do a 1rail or 2rail or multiple rail kicks to get out of the snooker.

What it comes down to is playing a safety if you have no viable shot is certainly valid.
  • 동규동규 Posts: 44 Pool Player
    Hiding the cue ball is kind of skill too
  • Deimos666Deimos666 Posts: 464 Pool Pro
    I've said it before, but I'll repeat myself. Snookering / tactical play is a skill set by itself. These tactics are generally reserved for the last ditch effort when you have otherwise lost the game, but I quite enjoy the challenge of safety shots; it isn't easy to do well, and much less effective against a very skilled player.

Personally, I tip my imaginary hat to the low number of players that do this skillfully.

It isn't just about potting balls to me. I'd be a fool if I had no shot, to just bash my object ball hoping it falls into a pocket. I mean yes I've bashed the ball hoping for a fluke before, but I feel I have a better chance with a safety / snooker.

These tactics take a lot of practice, and I find it fun to see who slips up first at times when both opponents have to play safety shots.

I've played quite a lot of 8 ball, and I don't run into this all that often, really only a small number of games does this go on. I'd much rather see this than the hit and hopers trying to fluke shots, but even that doesn't bother me.

Now I will say that, if you're playing a tournament and someone snookers you repeatedly until your timer runs out, I don't like that kind of play (I had people this when I first started playing this game). It doesn't really bother me, still takes skill to not allow your opponent to contact his object ball (or perhaps lack of skill if you can't contact your object ball), but no one has tried it to me in a couple years that I can recall, so again, I don't feel this happens all that often.

If you really don't like the way someone is playing, simply quit and move on to the next, I have no problem doing that.
  • David RohrerDavid Rohrer Posts: 412 Pool Pro
    Some people will always try to justify that type of play as a "skillset", lol. To me it shows limited skill, in thought process on how to tackle a challenge. MANY a time i will take that opportunity they left, and make something of it. You have no shot, so you decide to play jerk and "hide the cue" or "snooker" as most call it. I would rather show the testicular fortitude to TRY a difficult indi shot and miss, than to COWER the cue, as I call it, and miss anyway. At least i'm TRYING to pot a ball, and sometimes as a result, do. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. To each their own, but i don't call cowering from a difficult shot, or because i know i've already lost, a "skill". :smiley:
  • Carl TalesCarl Tales Posts: 669 Pool Expert
    Everyone saying safely isn’t a skill set or there’s no place for it in this game needs to take a look at their win %. Because I’m betting it will be in the 50’s or below! Play to win no matter what it takes. Is my motto B)

50's or above is still giving as good as you're getting, without the little girl tactics. that's my motto :wink:
    50 is giving as good as you get. All I’m saying is to be a 60’s 70’s or the few that are 80’s+ they will have a good tactical game. One mistake in the higher tiers and it’s game over.
    I hear you Carl. We just don't see eye to eye on "skills" and "tactical games" is all :smile: You can still have a 60's 70's and 80's percentile without "hiding the cue" in gameplay on a regular. Knowing the same angles to get OUT of a snooker is to take those shots in the first place if it's all you have, INSTEAD of snookering to neglect taking that SKILLED shot. That was my point in it with the "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" :wink: . Again, to each their own but there are some who have played me here when i was "on it" with my game without those tactics and one mistake could be game over too game after game. I have my moments. I'm not the most skilled or tactical player and don't even try to claim so but i take solace in not playing to "thwart" someone else's game but in polite, fair play manner and chat. Like the other topic of "in your face!" and the other "taunt chats", some folks just thrive on that gameplay and mannerisms. I'm here to have fun :smile:
  • Nanny OggNanny Ogg Bites backPosts: 9,345 Pool Forum VIP
    I'm with you on this David, or at least I was since I've always disliked snookering and don't normally use it myself except in retaliation when someone does it to me first.
    But David.... "little girl tactics" ? Really ? LOL
    Yea I hear you Dave and everyone has their own style of play of course. I’m mostly making my opinion based to the OP remark saying anyone who prefers hiding the cue ball rather than take on a high risk shot has 0 skill. I suspect he said it because he’s fed up of losing against these players.

This is a similar topic to the one about is this game more about luck or skill. The skill part is knowing which shots to take on and which are too high risked. Luck at times comes in to it as it does with most other games / sports. But it’s a good example to take on a risky shot and hope for some luck or de ide to play safe and rely on your safety skill.
  • Nanny OggNanny Ogg Bites backPosts: 9,345 Pool Forum VIP
    edited November 8
    If every game was "call all pockets" there wouldn't even be a need for the OP to get upset, no-one's going to try snookers under those circumstances LOL

Mind you I would miss being able to make some of those unbelievable flukes I sometimes make LOL
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Been there, done that.Posts: 2,445 Pool Champion
    edited November 8
    Its a simple case in my book. I will try to play and pocket all shots. But if i mess up and see that i havent got a hope of potting my next shot, and that my opponent has a free run to win the game, then i will play the snooker shot, if its possible.

I will not play the snooker shot just for the heck of it. Its then down to the opponent to get out of that snooker by displaying his/her own skills. If they do manage to get out of it, and win, then i doff my hat to them.

As Jeff said, its considered an art form of sorts on this side of the world when played properly, and seeing as the game here is international, then i suppose it has to be accepted.
  • ZogggZoggg Posts: 899 Pool Expert
    COOLOCKER wrote: »
    Its a simple case in my book. I will try to play and pocket all shots. But if i mess up and see that i havent got a hope of potting my next shot, and that my opponent has a free run to win the game, then i will play the snooker shot, if its possible.

I will not play the snooker shot just for the heck of it. Its then down to the opponent to get out of that snooker by displaying his/her own skills. If they do manage to get out of it, and win, then i doff my hat to them.

Well said, that's exactly what I do.
    What it comes down to is this: If you want to go for a difficult shot.... go right ahead. And you're probably going to lose.

You guys should watch real life pool, with pros such as Shane Van Boening, Jayson Shaw, and all of the other greats. You don't see them going for stupid low percentage shots.... nope. They play smart. Why play safe? Because if they go for a difficult shot and miss, then the opponent is going to capitalize on your stupid decision and probably run out the table for the win.