Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Humble 8 Ball Players

CarloOcean1971CarloOcean1971 Posts: 12 Pool Player
I want to preface by this saying, I'm not the best player nor have potted that many balls as the rest of you. I pretty much only play the regular London tournament to unwind after a long day. As seen here:

rwhhtnka6e0b.jpg

But I really want to give a shout-out to all the nice, humble and respectful players who may never read this post. I occasionally play IRL 8ball (I'm better online!) at my local bar, and it's pretty much customary after every game to give your opponent a firm handshake, make eye-contact and compliment each other on a good game, no matter if you lost or how bad it was! Being disrespectful may actually get you kicked out!

With that said, I have to say, I have so much more respect for those Miniclip 8 ball players who take the time to say "Good Game" even if I win or lose, than those players (they can even be level 100+) who write "Hehe" or "I am usually better" after the game and promptly disappear without saying "Good Game".

I always take the time to compliment new, low-level players in chat, and always say "Good Game", in the hopes that they won't get discouraged and will pick up that custom to be respectful and pay it forward in future games.

I just wanted to get that out....

Good Game, everyone!

Comments

• CorbyCorby Posts: 398 Pool Pro
    That's nice if it works for you.
    Having chat turned off works for me.
  • David RohrerDavid Rohrer Posts: 598 Pool Pro
    it's all you CAN do, is lead by example. some will follow, and a LOT won't but that's on their heads/conscience. Good on you, and i try to do the same. Doesn't hurt a bit to give a "nice try" on a very close complicated shot that was missed or if you see them utilize a tactic that "surprised" you like banking off the rail to attempt a blocked shot, i will say "well played" for even the attempt. Good game, win or lose, is just a polite ending and a respectful way to acknowledge an opponent afterwards. I like the ones who can't bring themselves to say it, and even when you run the table (skunk them), and say good game, they say "thanks" hahaha. as if you did anything, but you're welcome ;) Good luck with your ego, lol.
  • CarloOcean1971CarloOcean1971 Posts: 12 Pool Player
    Omg When they say thanks and run off! That's so irritating hahaha

Another personal favorite is when they say "i need more coins" over and over
    What do you want me to do about it? Are you trying to get me to throw the game on purpose so you can get some coins??
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Been there, done that.Posts: 2,644 Pool Champion
    edited October 11
    I take a bit from all of you, lol. Im not much of a talker while playing unless i am playing a friend. So i rarely say anything while playing.........but:
    I always take the time to compliment new, low-level players in chat, and always say "Good Game", in the hopes that they won't get discouraged

I agree on this, as i usually do the same when i notice im playing somebody who is new to the game (hard to tell with all the multi accounts). But a newbie can be spotted no problem. Some are just having a bad day.
    Doesn't hurt a bit to give a "nice try" on a very close complicated shot that was missed or if you see them utilize a tactic that "surprised" you like banking off the rail to attempt a blocked shot

Yep, this is something i will always say if that happens while playing. To me, it works like this, you are telling them you recognise the shot they where trying to play, which in turn shows them you would probably have attemted the same shot.

Corby wrote: »
    Having chat turned off works for me.

lol, i get days like that as well. Sometimes i play with chat on and say nothing, some days its off.

• SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,326 Pool Forum VIP
    edited October 12
    RZCDBiO.png

I have always liked to think that I use the chat feature in a courteous and respectful manner....I tend to play and chat as if I am actually playing in a real life situation, so basically, I play the Gentleman's Game (I guess Gentleperson would be more politically correct... ;) ).....
    Always have...always will.... :)

But I have learned quite a few things over the years as well.... from discussions both here on the forum and other social sites.... as well as from observations of posted threads and comments posted on the subject...... ;) ...And all my experience with chat features in the game is limited to the canned phrases in the chat packages, I never did use the FB chat feature or the old limited open chat feature they had for a while.... :*

There are always two sides in using chat.....and everyone uses it a bit differently....depending on state-of-mind they may be in at any given moment... :*

But a huge factor is the difference between what may be implied and what may be inferred.... :*
    Which is always determined by the aforementioned state-of-mind....of both players.... Since in random games, it generally means you are playing a complete stranger......with neither player having the slightest clue as to their opponents state-of-mind at the moment...nor their customs.....
    Some people play the game when they are relaxed and just goofing around...others when they are angry or irate about real life issues just to get their mind off their problems, and that often is reflected in their chat and responses....and/or aggressive play...

Since day 1 playing the game with chat, I always say "Good luck" as soon as the rack is made and I can use the feature...I almost always acknowledge good shots, good play and say "Good game" at the end, regardless of winner....and always try to avoid putting up chat in a distracting manner.... :|

Some places in the world do not say "Good luck" but prefer "Good game" prior to the start of a game.......some people remain silent throughout, I presume they have chat turned off....others chat blast with everything they can throughout, I presume they are either trying to distract or have an odd form of Tourette's syndrome...plus in many cases, I think they may be youngsters and/or have little grasp of the English language.... :*

Like I said earlier, often times, what you intend to imply is incorrectly inferred on the other end.... :#
    For instance, if someone is doing a denial and loses position at the end, but makes a nice try on a tough shot and misses, I will often say "Nice try" for the last shot.........my opponent may take it as me saying "Nice try" in a sarcastic way in regards his failed denial attempt....so is insulted...which of course not my intent at all...... It comes down to the state-of-mind mentioned earlier as well as each players overall perception of game playing style.....i.e serious "gamers" as I define them, are like my son and his online battle games he plays...they always trash talk and do everything they can to distract their opponents and get a win at any cost.... :s
    Another example in difference in styles - I would never ever say "Nice shot" (or variation of) in regards to my own shots, or say "Unlucky" when I miss.....I would never say "Oops" to an opponents missed shot (unless done so in humor with a friend), ...in my eyes, praise is for opponents, and they get "Unlucky", not an "Oops"...."Oops is for my mistakes....lol....
    But I have played with many who say "Nice shot" after every shot they make and "Unlucky" every time they miss..... :* along with "Ooops" on any miss of mine.....too each their own I guess.... :|
    Social norms are not part of the equation for them.... probably due to the fact that the object of battle games is to kill your enemies and is pure hostility.....hostile environments breed aggressive and hostile states-of-mind ...... It is reflected in both their style of play and use of chat.... :*

This ends up with a clash of cultures in gaming styles being played.....
    Everything from the die-hard Gentleman's Game players showing courtesy and respect to the In-Your-Face virtual world game aficionados out to win at any cost......and every style in-between.... ;)

So no matter how you play, or what your style is, there are some who will relate and play the same (or close to) the same way...and those who wo will be insulted and react accordingly.....again, state-of-mind and the above combine to make that huge difference between implied and inferred intent in chat usage....at least in my opinion.... ;)

Bottom line for me is, and always has been, I will play and use the chat in my way regardless of what my opponent does..... :) ...except of course if they ever say "Watch and learn".... :s ...I will always respond the same way to that....select the "I find your lack of skill disturbing" phrase, say "Good luck" and refresh..... >:)

Or if I know the person (taking into consideration how well anyone can know someone in the virtual world... ;) ) and know that any chat at all disturbs them, I will refrain... ;)

I think that is all any of us can do.....after all, there are supposedly millions and millions of players, and only a few thousand (comparatively speaking) that interact and engage on social sites as well as the few hundred that find there way here....with less than 35 that participate here with much regularity...tons of one and done posters here.... :D

Just try to have fun and play your game style is my advice..... :)

X5lbOom.gif
    Holy BOOK batman.....lol :smiley:
  • cidercodercidercoder Posts: 912 Pool Expert
    edited October 12
    Played one opponent this morning who just continually chatted "In Your Face" all the way through the game. When he realised he was about to lose he said "Well Played", then the "I Need More Coins" message came up lol. My heart went out to him.
    I also hate these players who do a denial against you (sometime very luckily), then say "Thankyou" like I allowed them to do it lol.
  • Aulia PutriAulia Putri Posts: 1 New Member
  • G11gamingG11gaming Contributor XDPosts: 3,081 Pool Champion
    I love chat packs B)
    Sunidhifan wrote: »
    WARNING

Lmao that was long-winded!
    edited October 13
    WARNING

Lmao that was long-winded!

Lol.....I am known for that..... ;) :D :)

But sometimes....one just has to ramble to say what one needs to say.... :*

cidercoder wrote: »
    Played one opponent this morning who just continually chatted "In Your Face" all the way through the game. When he realised he was about to lose he said "Well Played", then the "I Need More Coins" message came up lol. My heart went out to him.
    I also hate these players who do a denial against you (sometime very luckily), then say "Thankyou" like I allowed them to do it lol.

kM4gVZY.png

X5lbOom.gif
    Post edited by Sunidhifan on
    i need more coins

Lmao that picture. I'm crying :D :D :D

This is how I respond to that

lxg6gb4inesy.jpg

• yakoubyakoubyakoubyakoub Posts: 546 Pool Pro
    couldnt agree more. i have so much respect for the players that take the time to say good game or well played. im so used to getting in your face that i have my chat turned off most of the times. i remember most of the a$$HOLES who try to insult me while they make a denial, so when i play them again which i do 99% of the time, and when im on the way of giving them a denial, i give them a sweat watch and learn with A LOL. its so satisfying. lol. and they clap back by saying in your face lol.
    edited October 15
    s5Qy3cU.png
    Or

jBXoT3Y.png

Would anyone care for some Iced Sweat Tea?

Best used for washing down sweat chat phrases....
    :D :D

X5lbOom.gif
  • Ryan CawdorRyan Cawdor Posts: 283 Pool Pro
    Good thing they don't have curse word chat packs... I was very very very angry after losing about 8 out of 10 games....still am... I couldn't do anything right! Assuming I didn't scratch, then I missed. And of course the lower level opponents played good, they didn't miss shots and they got perfect position...Meanwhile I kept **** up...jesus Christ.

And what made me angrier was when they slopped in shots and got perfect shape for their next shot. They sure as h3ll won't get a 'good game' from me when they pull garbage like that.
    I know EXACTLY what you're saying, and it's the same thing i noticed, and others are expressing. I don't want to believe something changed either but it sure SEEMS so. I still say GG because i'm not going to compromise MY character outwardly when i'm already struggling with it inwardly over these things :smiley: There's been times when i pulled off some LUCKERY in this game on shots i didn't MEAN to make but it sure looked like i knew what i was doing :smiley: i try to chalk it up to "what goes around comes around" :wink: but i get it, the long lose streaks frustrate me quite much also. Good luck out there and most of all no matter what TRY to HAVE FUN :smile:
    edited October 15
    Good thing they don't have curse word chat packs...

That could, technically, be debatable I think...... ;)

mBBhC0l.png

It is labeled as "Censored Swearing" chat pack after all..... :*

X5lbOom.gif