Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

How would you grow the forum?

George SweeperGeorge Sweeper Posts: 38 admin
edited October 23 in Community
Hello, fellow forum dwellers

This is your chance to be heard. We are asking you for suggestions on how to breath new life into this forum.

We believe that the official 8BallPool Forum is by far the most engaging and interesting community of players we have. It's a safe place for players to ask questions and get advice and, has seen by recent threads, a place for great and incisive discussion.

But we are lacking more voices and more points of view. So we ask you, how would make the forum more appealing?

This a very open ended question, we realize that, but we want to hear everything you have to say. This can range from in-game features that are exclusive to forum members, to actual changes to the forum that you would like to see and cross promotions on our social platforms.

(I know some of you will suggested an optimization for smartphone and iOS, but for the moment that is out of our reach.)

We already have some ideas of our own but we want your out of the box thinking to help us out.
Post edited by George Sweeper on

Comments

• Nanny OggNanny Ogg Bites backPosts: 9,345 Pool Forum VIP
    Thanks for the opportunity to contribute George :)

Here are a few ideas just off the top of my head.

How about the return of the Forum Cup, one for mobile and one for pc, to be organised and run by the staff.

A general amnesty and an invitation to return to those characters that helped make the forum as successful and popular as it used to be.

More community interaction from the mods and admins, which already seems to be happening in a very small way and used to be the norm.

Forum competitions with exclusive ingame prizes for forum members only.

An addition to the ingame chatpack inviting people to "Come and join the Forum".

Loyalty rewards based on length of forum membership.

Acknowledgement of quality contributions to the forum such as "thread of the week/month" or "post of the week/month".

• Carl TalesCarl Tales Posts: 669 Pool Expert
    Hi George, An in game feature that would be great for forum members would be the ability to create our own private tournament. Once 8 or even a 16 entries are filled the tournament would start.
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Been there, done that.Posts: 2,445 Pool Champion
    When i click on your link George, i get this "Permission Problem".

Anyways, i will get my thinking cap on and get back to here later, if i can think of anything.
    edited October 23
    For the forum:

The ability to upload custom Avatars. Depending on how long the member is a member of the forum.

5qaxapsj9w7d.gif

A section in the profile settings where members can paste in a sig, so that any time they post, the sig automatically comes out with the post they made.

dy4h58mai5aq.gif

If you want to increase the membership of the forum, then there has to be an incentive. Some good ideas posted above.

Shot of the month competition voted on by the admins/mods. But only for normal games, and not trick shots. This way, we can gaurantee that the shot was not set up.

A problem/help page where forum members can get the latest advice on how to fix things, and on updating/upgrading the devices they are using etc. Example: Get the latest dowload for flash for android here etc. And advertise it on the official miniclip game site.

Just a few ideas for the moment.

Post edited by COOLOCKER on
  • David RohrerDavid Rohrer Posts: 412 Pool Pro
    edited October 23
    I like a lot of what Nanny offered. MOST of it actually. Coolocker your requests are valid and should have been heard and maybe will come to fruition but that is most likely blocked out for space limitations. I'm sure the forum is hosted somewhere and the more you store the bigger server space you need and higher the cost to offset (imagine every old thread where every person had custom signature stored on server, just sitting there and no one even talking in that thread anymore, just occupying server space). But again, a valid request and something that is allowed on most of the forums I've been on for years in the gaming world.

I'd like to see a chat ability amongst friends. In other words you only have the option in game to chat with someone if they're on your friends list.

More 9 ball rooms/options would be nice.

"Gentleman's Pool" rules room. Some of us learned to play pool irl this way. It's not that hard, just a courtesy based concept. For instance let's start with the basics. Say you break, and made 3 solids and 1 stripe but also scratched. The other person , puts the ball back at the dot you break from, and shoots from there, and shoots STRIPES, out of courtesy to not "steal" the 3 solids you made on break. Additionally, they don't place the cue on a scratch ANYWHERE but on that starting point and it's ONLY moved one ball space from there if there is a ball there blocking any possible shot from there (gentleman works both ways :wink: ). The last major "rule" of it so to speak, is you ALWAYS, put the 8 in indirectly. Either the cue, or the 8 goes off at least one rail before the 8 goes in. That doesn't mean if they 8 is sitting by a pocket you barely graze the cue off the rail before it and it goes in, lol. You would try to bank it in a different pocket instead of "the easy route out" :smile: My gaming friends and i have been doing this for years but we agreed beforehand on teamspeak or in messenger or something to playing that way after explaining to those unfamiliar with the concept. This teaches you inadvertently to be good at banking the 8 in for those upper tiers before they even came out with that, and just to be better at indirect anyway!

Lastly (for me anyway), the facebook cue........ ANYONE who did as MC requested and merged/synced those accounts should be able to claim that. There was a post made about it, and i was working but got off EARLY that day. I read post in forum when i got home, and it had been ONE HOUR, and 4 MINUTES since mod posted it, and yet that offer was already expired? LOL....... Anyway, it should be available to and offered to anyone who merged those accounts. I have to deal with my FULL real name being out here for the world on forums because of this merge (although some seem to have gotten theirs changed......)
  • *Aurora**Aurora* Join the N0V8MB8R League!Posts: 6,227 Pool Forum VIP
    edited October 23
    Carl Tales wrote: »
    Hi George, An in game feature that would be great for forum members would be the ability to create our own private tournament. Once 8 or even a 16 entries are filled the tournament would start.

This would be great.

More forum tourneys and leagues, of course, because that really is what the forum is about. We want to meet for "safe" games with players we know won't cheat or quit and respect the rules and keeping appointments as well.

The forum index page is very scarce. There should be more categories for topics. Music forum is one that is needed. Also a subsection for Achievements. Tournament section should be equal to other categories, if you arrange a league/tourney there, it's not noticed.

I don't like to separate people any more based on how much they post. Currently the posting ranks are not too distinctive. Maybe everyone's own profile page could have more options for expressing oneself if there's need for that.

I'm not fan of creating too many off-topic sections either. There's still the option to go to the other forum which has more to do with things other than 8 ball pool.

Whatever you decide to change or improve I wish the old Miniclip looks stays.
  • G11gamingG11gaming Contributor XDPosts: 2,832 Pool Champion
    A link from the mobile to the forum.

A like thumb up with counter. No names.

A Kudos system for those who help out.

A polling vote option.

A shout box.

More ranks as you post.

A massive array of different smilies.
  • *Cheetah Girl**Cheetah Girl* Queen Bee Posts: 613 Pool Expert
    edited October 23
    G11gaming wrote: »
    A link from the mobile to the forum.

A like thumb up with counter. No names.

A Kudos system for those who help out.

A polling vote option.

A shout box.

More ranks as you post.

A massive array of different smilies.

I think they should more pop ups on the games, which games they choose, so they could come and join the forum. They should make the forum more noticeable so people come and join them. ;)
    Coolocker your requests are valid and should have been heard and maybe will come to fruition but that is most likely blocked out for space limitations.

Thanks Dave. As a former forum admin/mod who actually set up a site for another game, i can tell you this does not cost much to do, especially for a company like miniclip.

Just want to also point out that this next bit has already been brought to their attention. The site we ran was a v-bulletin site. It costs something like 200 dollars to run per year, and that included all the above options for graphics that i mentioned. It also only costs a little extra for more bandwidth.

Yep, i know this is only a vanilla site (at least im sure it is?), and probably doesnt cost as much to run as the v-bulletin, but it does or should have the option to enable those graphic capabilities:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/signatures-plugin
  • R_E_B_E_L_SR_E_B_E_L_S R I P !Posts: 736 Pool Expert
    edited October 23
    100% sure,that if a platform was introduced,mabye in the app store/play store,while it may be an investment for you all, it would pay OFF in the long run!
  • *SpIdEr*Ba!!*SpIdEr*Ba!! Posts: 21 Pool Player
    1- Live Chat with the support team.
    2- new activities and some good rewards for members.
    3- game tournaments for members.
  • George SweeperGeorge Sweeper Posts: 38 admin
    I'm liking this so far. I don't want to get your hopes up but I'll try my best to make things happen.

Nevertheless there a few things I want your input on.

"Loyalty rewards based on length of forum membership," as per Nanny Ogg's suggestion :

What do you think these should be and what would be the minimal lenght/ number of posts to get a reward?

"Thread of the week/month" or "post of the week/month":

Again, questions: Should this be voted on every month by the community? Would it be fair to have the mods and admins decide? What would be a reward that would make you create more quality threads?

"Shot of the month competition voted on by the admins/mods."

What would make you participate? Raquel and I have talked about the possibility of bringing back what Benjo and Sam used to do on the youtube channel and have a segment dedicated to the best trick shot posted on the forum. Does something like this sound appealing? Any more suggestions are welcomed

"Live chat"

I mean, we like to think that we are pretty approachable whenever you create a new thread or contact us by private message. Do you think that if we were to make people aware that the forum is the place to be to have a more direct contact with Miniclip staff that that would bring more people along?

"Gentleman's Rules tournament"

Is this something you feel more people want? It sounds like it could be a cool feature but I've never heard anyone asking for something alike.

All in all, I think somethings that were suggested here are very doable. Again, no promises. Still, I think this is the time to make yourselves heard. I get that rewards based on your activity on the forum is useful input but I really would like you guys to go further and actually speak to what you think is fair. What type of rewards, if it is in-game currency what would be fair. Remember that we actually want to engage players to stay as forum members and not just fly by, colllect the rewards and never hear from them again.
    The thread/post of the week/month could be combined with someone elses' suggestion of having a "like" button for posts and threads which would make it an automatic ongoing voting system, however although it hasn't been explicitly stated yet I would not like to see a "dislike" button as that would be feeding negativity. If you don't like a post or thread you can just ignore it.

As you say, loyalty rewards based on length of membership should also have a minimum weekly post count attached, although you guys would have to be more proactive at deleting obvious spam in order to make it fair to the good contributors.

I like the Gentlemans rules idea and it's very close to how I play friendlies with my regular challengers and friends.
  • G11gamingG11gaming Contributor XDPosts: 2,832 Pool Champion
    How about offering prizes ( with livery ) for certain competitions to include ;

8 Ball pool t - shirts

Pens

Mugs

Wallets

Phone covers

Hoodies

I'm not sure what kinds of things you can get produced but those kinds of items maybe?

How about a tour of MC's head office to see what goes on? ( For a big winner )

A real pool cue with the livery and the winners in game name on it? ( Big prize win )
    edited October 24
    I'm pretty sure that MC won't be open to awarding anything that actually costs them money to produce, so how about something like an exclusive "Forum Cue" that has to be earned or the facility to customise your own YoMe as has been suggested already by COOLOCKER, that also has to be earned.
  • creativehottycreativehotty THE GREAT WHITE NORTHPosts: 1,500 Pool Champion
    edited October 24
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that MC won't be open to awarding anything that actually costs them money to produce

:+1: hahahaha !!
  • George SweeperGeorge Sweeper Posts: 38 admin
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that MC won't be open to awarding anything that actually costs them money to produce

Should we work on the Zinger Award Of The Year? The Zaotys
    What ? Too sharp ? LOL :D >:) ;)
    I'm liking this so far. I don't want to get your hopes up but I'll try my best to make things happen.

Nevertheless there a few things I want your input on.

"Loyalty rewards based on length of forum membership," as per Nanny Ogg's suggestion :

What do you think these should be and what would be the minimal lenght/ number of posts to get a reward?

Again, questions: Should this be voted on every month by the community? Would it be fair to have the mods and admins decide? What would be a reward that would make you create more quality threads?

What would make you participate? Raquel and I have talked about the possibility of bringing back what Benjo and Sam used to do on the youtube channel and have a segment dedicated to the best trick shot posted on the forum. Does something like this sound appealing? Any more suggestions are welcomed

"Live chat"

I mean, we like to think that we are pretty approachable whenever you create a new thread or contact us by private message. Do you think that if we were to make people aware that the forum is the place to be to have a more direct contact with Miniclip staff that that would bring more people along?

Is this something you feel more people want? It sounds like it could be a cool feature but I've never heard anyone asking for something alike.

All in all, I think somethings that were suggested here are very doable. Again, no promises. Still, I think this is the time to make yourselves heard. I get that rewards based on your activity on the forum is useful input but I really would like you guys to go further and actually speak to what you think is fair. What type of rewards, if it is in-game currency what would be fair. Remember that we actually want to engage players to stay as forum members and not just fly by, colllect the rewards and never hear from them again.

Im just going to break down your post here George so that i can put my thoughts on it.

You could be a member here for 5 years, and not post much, or even visit the forum, but your still a member. I think you would have to tie in visits to the forum if anything, and it would have to be just a daily thing, and not the amount of times you visit daily. Folks could log on and off all day like i do thinking the more times they visit, the more they will get.

Although im not a fan of the coins etc, some are. So maybe break it down a little.

Visit the forum every day of the week, get some coins.

Visit the forum every day of the month, get some cash.

Visit the forum every day of the year, get yourself a customised cue. Where you pick your own attributes. Between force aim spin and time, there are 40 slots of power. Give the customised cue something like 30 slots, and let the winner choose which power slots they would like to fill.

Again, the minimum for 1 post a day. And maybe have a limit to the amount you can build up per day. Not sure what the reward would be, but i wouldnt be a fan of a load of gibberish on the forum just to fill up posts to accumulate rewards. The more rewards without limitation, the more gibberish me thinks.

NOTE: The above 2 posts by me both tie into the same question. Just some thoughts

I know asking the mods to do this can be difficult. But also asking the community to vote could throw up some problems. Just as an example. If there was a clique, then anyone in that clique could win over and over. Its a difficult one this to manage me thinks.

Just as an idea. On the forum i used to admin on, we had a count system on the awards we gave out. Just a simple little system that counted the amount of times that each member won something. We ran 8 competitions. If somebody won the alternate shot competition, they would have an image of the alternate shot cup on their sig area, along with the amount of times they won it. Yep, we know this site isnt set up for that, but theres a plugin that can enable that, lol.
    "Live chat"

A shout box on the forum could be a good thing. If you placed it on the site (see picture) then you would probably be stopping folks coming to the forum. They would just stay there and use the chat without visiting the forum. Maybe put up a video of the forum in action where you see the shout box in the attached pic?:

5s4pxewwvdfj.jpg

It would have to be a forum related tournament. Unless you could code the game for the rules? A tough one for sure, but something that i think could take off.

Maybe everyone wont agree about the above points, but thats just some pointers there in the hope it can get something going.
  • *Aurora**Aurora* Join the N0V8MB8R League!Posts: 6,227 Pool Forum VIP
    edited October 24
    Based on past forum experiences I can't support any kind of reputation system for posts. If the community likes popularity voting then it should rather be a monthly community poll and/or admins picking helpful/fun/good threads.

But here's a thought: VIP posters get their own subforums, where they can moderate their own threads. ;)