Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

How would you grow the forum?

Comments

• creativehottycreativehotty THE GREAT WHITE NORTHPosts: 1,500 Pool Champion
    edited October 24
    being able to send out invites to the forum for other friends :)
  • David RohrerDavid Rohrer Posts: 412 Pool Pro
    edited October 24
    "Gentleman's Rules tournament"
    Is this something you feel more people want? It sounds like it could be a cool feature but I've never heard anyone asking for something alike. It would have to be a forum related tournament. Unless you could code the game for the rules? A tough one for sure, but something that i think could take off.

First I appreciate y'all being present and active on the forum. For the longest time when i came over to here, well, it wasn't like that :smile: . Also appreciate y'all being open to listening to ideas and wanting to improve overall experience for seasoned players and new ones alike and that you're open to ideas of loyalty rewards for those of us who are active in your forums and game. I love this game. Does it have quirks? of course but what game doesn't? I liked what REBELS said about a one time app purchase. That would boost/kick off development revenue for fixes/changes/implementations of new things and you could still do your promotions for those of us who like the cues that come around ever so often......yes, i've bought a couple now, lol. I've spent a LOT more on MMO games than i have in here and aren't even playing them, so.... :wink:

I don't know y'all as well as some "veteran" forum leeches (haha :smiley: ) who've been here for years and i'm pretty sure some of y'all took me wrong on my initial appearances over here. Most are finally learning who I am and "get me" in that aspect of joking/fun. I appreciate the new friendships made over here since joining too. Lots of diverse folks and opinions from the World over. Anyway, enough horn tootery. Bottom line is I (we, because i've seen others express too) APPRECIATE y'all, and thanks for putting effort into making this fun over here and not seeming like an endless echo chamber for us forum peons to ramble off in, forever unnoticed.

• *Aurora**Aurora* Join the N0V8MB8R League!Posts: 6,227 Pool Forum VIP
    edited October 24
    I don't know y'all as well as some "veteran" forum leeches (haha :smiley: ) who've been here for years and i'm pretty sure some of y'all took me wrong on my initial appearances over here. Most are finally learning who I am and "get me" in that aspect of joking/fun.

Didn't you feel yourself welcome here at first? Sadly, that happens a lot with new members IMO, we'd need this forum more welcoming to new members.
    LOL, well, i made some "rough around the edges" comments about watching wonder woman, in good fun but was "too much over the top" for some evidently :wink: i don't feel unwelcome per se. But i do notice some that were "more active" when i first joined aren't around much now like zippy? maybe they just have other things going on irl that take precedence right now over 8bp :smile:
  • G11gamingG11gaming Contributor XDPosts: 2,832 Pool Champion
    *Aurora* wrote: »
    I don't know y'all as well as some "veteran" forum leeches (haha :smiley: ) who've been here for years and i'm pretty sure some of y'all took me wrong on my initial appearances over here. Most are finally learning who I am and "get me" in that aspect of joking/fun.

Didn't you feel yourself welcome here at first? Sadly, that happens a lot with new members IMO, we'd need this forum more welcoming to new members.

Ah ha you just jogged my memory i had that to add - a good successful forum always has admin/mod to meet and greet the new comers makes them feel welcome, i must say i've seen a lot of new comers introduce themselves here over my very short time here and not get any reply, i also never got a reply or " welcome to the forums " this goes a long way in my book and with my past experience on gaming sites it's a sign of a well run forum. ( not saying that this place isnt btw ) it's just been lacking official involvement from recognized staff, if i may be as bold to say. :* :)
  • Suhail AnsariSuhail Ansari Posts: 28 Pool Player
    Create a separate app for 8 Ball pool forum..... :)
  • SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,163 Pool Forum VIP
    edited October 25
    Well....since you posed the question, and I presume you want honest responses, I will give my frank and honest opinion.... ;)

I like the other ideas proffered up so far...but to be honest, prior to getting anything new and extra going, the biggest thing is what you are doing now... Showing an interest...
    The single most important thing that has been missing, has been interaction with the community and more active participation from staff...both admins and mods.... :|

On the old forum, there used to be regular communication and involvement from all staff, with, in most cases, a more personal touch as well as being far more active and present on a minimum of a daily basis...of course, there were more back then.....
    Just as there was when this version came online..... At first there were two or three very active admins and 5 to 7 mods....with at least 4 or 5 being active every day, throughout the day since they were from different geographic locations ensuring at least one could be online at any given time....rarely would the forum be left 'unattended' for longer than two or three hours....Nowadays, it can go for more than a day or longer before necessary clean-up and/or responses, which do not always happen even then.... :*

To be honest, staff actions this year seem to come across as arbitrary and capricious....some things are strictly enforced...sometimes...and at others not at all....it also seems to be 'selective' at times....and I know I have gotten out of control and emotionally charged myself more than a few times... but I do try to stay within the rules, albeit skirting the edges at times...... :|
    But, it is more than just enforcement....there seems to be very little in the way of support for specific issues...especially for newer members, and I don't mean the one and done posts we all see on a regular basis....I am referring specifically to things like @Carl Tales (a fairly new forum member) when he had such a bad problem that he felt he wanted to leave altogether....it took far too long to address and resolve his issues....IMO....

Having a Help Center for account specific issues is all well and good....and it is both logical and understandable from a business viewpoint that all such issues must be initiated through a central location....but I think a good standard benefit for regular/semi-regular members here would be some ability to get issues expedited and recognized in a timely fashion....I mean I know there must be tens of things to look at each day, but I do not think a simple acknowledgment and quick message to the support team would be all that time consuming....and would go a very long way in making members here feel that they have a voice and some staff support behind their issues....
    As it is now, I see a lot of threads that people post, both older members and newer ones with specific questions about developments and/or problems with how things work or don't work in the game....and in 90% of the cases, there is never any kind of official response, just other members trying to advise....e.g. the issue a while back about the latest version and when and where it was available...it took almost a week to get anything official.....there is no excuse for that in my book.....
    This is the Official 8 Ball Pool Forum...if a valid and legitimate issue is raised, it should be dealt with in a timely and as precise as possible manner.....even saying "we are not sure what the status is, but we will get back to you on this as soon as possible" would be far better than dead silence..... :s

After all, the whole idea of the forum is to promote a sense of community and belonging for it's members....but when we are continuously ignored and dismissed, the whole thing loses that feel...I also think a big part of that is the communication between admins and mods, I honestly feel that MC administration does not make much effort in keeping their mods in the loop on things....hence many lose interest and/or the ability in helping us members, since they are "not in the know" on many subjects.........but that is just the feel I get.... ;) ..
    I honestly believe that the development and implementation team should put out an email or message of some sort addressed to all staff (including mods) whenever an update or modification is made to or in the game in any versions....that way, every employee and volunteer will at least, be able to look up quickly all pertinent data regarding the official status of each version and pass it on to the community....It is, as we all know, your biggest money-maker and successful game, so any and all employees/volunteers should be kept abreast of the latest and greatest to be able to answer any questions about it........IMO.... ;)

I think you are on the correct path right now...with this thread, and the sentiment behind it.... ;)

Bottom line for me is this:

Once staff becomes more active and involved with the community as such, the result will be a more cohesive and active community that participates.....Two-way communication and recognition is vital to a vibrant and active community.... :) Feeling neglected and ignored makes it feel futile and frustrating to participate sometimes.... :/
    As a long term member, I have to say with full honesty that I personally have felt pretty much abandoned by MiniClip..... not just for me, but for the community as a whole..... :| .... I think more interest shown by staff will get more involved, and with better structure....then the other fine suggestions will be much easier to implement and get going..... ;)

I think this is already apparent just by the responses already shown here..... ;) ..as the old saying goes...."Ask, and you shall receive"..... :)

X5lbOom.gif

Post edited by Sunidhifan on
  • Tank33RungeTank33Runge Posts: 36 Pool Player
    edited October 25
    From Sunidhifan's post:
    """Once staff becomes more active and involved with the community as such, the result will be a more cohesive and active community that participates.....Two-way communication and recognition is vital to a vibrant and active community.... :) Feeling neglected and ignored makes it feel futile and frustrating to participate sometimes.... :/
    As a long term member, I have to say with full honesty that I personally have felt pretty much abandoned by MiniClip..... not just for me, but for the community as a whole..... :| .... I think more interest shown by staff will get more involved, and with better structure....then the other fine suggestions will be much easier to implement and get going..... ;)"""

I log into here on a daily basis just to see what is new with people and just to be nosy also I guess lol.

First off, Sunidhifan deserves any kind of award this year due to the fact that 'he' is the main contributor
    when it comes to helping people out when they are lost and frustrated. Yeah, a mod/admin usually does not
    respond at all, unless they are tagged 2-10 times. And there are others who also help out, not sounding to be
    rude, but when you look ole Sunidhifan is there tending to them and explaining his experiences and giving out
    the links to where they can be helped the quickest. Well, that is another problem as mentioned above a few times.
    People send in their help tickets and they either never get helped at all, or it is taking way to long to get that help
    on very important matters such as buying something and something on MiniClip's end isn't working right. That is a Big
    no-no here in the forum or with the other staff.
    I like the live help with mods a LOT! People want their issues solved yesterday but that's just how it is. People make this
    business thrive so serve them in a manner that is quick and responsive, and make sure and keep that person posted if there
    are issues and is taking a bit longer to figure out what the problem is on the staff's end.
    I am not afraid to admit this but I play in the London Tourneys and being able to live talk with them to give them some
    knowledge as cues, the forum room, etc. etc., can and will bring them confidence to move further into the game. We all
    remember when we started and always got beat. some will quit for good, while others muster on due to their interest in the game.
    I would love to chat with them and give them that 'boost' of confidence to keep on playing because it is fun, and you 'will' get
    better in time if you watch others and how they play the game. But I can now only use my chat pack, but after the game they are
    usually logged off in a second so cannot even help them out there by saying 'Good Game' or something to keep their spirits up.

That is my 2 wooden nickels on my part, but remember- Sunidhifan needs to be declared the Forum Winner of the Year! My choice of
    award for what that kind man does would be his favorite- 1 million coins and the Czar cue. As the gavel BANGS! :smiley: That man has more than
    earned his keep in this forum, and I read here on daily basis. Not saying that no one else helps out here because that is just not true. But
    ole Sunihhifan is usually grinding his intellect with another member at all hours of the day. Peace and Cheers, the Tank... :wink:

• COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Been there, done that.Posts: 2,445 Pool Champion
    Well said Jeff (Sunidhifan).
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Been there, done that.Posts: 2,445 Pool Champion
    edited October 25
    Well, its just an idea, and thats what this thread is about. Folks love to get the free daily spins etc, and you are looking for ways to get more folks on the forum, and to get current members more active. Why not hold a forum lottery, and advertise it on the game page?

Folks have to sign up (current members allowed to participate) to the forum, make so many visits or posts, and can then enter the forum lottery.

But you would need to come up with some kind of idea that steers away from the spin and win type, as many think that is rigged as it is.
  • cidercodercidercoder Posts: 882 Pool Expert
    edited October 25
    Offer Incentives ! People should be rewarded for posting in the forum (as long as they post responsibly !). How about special Legendary "Forum Cues" being awarded to people who contributed Posts to the Forum. For example after 500 posts you get a fancy cue for free, then after 1000 posts you get an even better cue etc etc ! People would see them in use and wonder how they could get one themselves ! Or give cash/coins for volume of forum activity ?
    Also, lift the bans on some former forum members, some really great people have been forcibly removed from this forum, and they had loads to offer, such a shame.
    Sorry @Nanny Ogg , just noticed you posted something similar higher up the thread ! Great minds eh ! ?
  • Nanny OggNanny Ogg Bites backPosts: 9,345 Pool Forum VIP
    @cidercoder
    Well if we are coming up with the same ideas independently of each other then they must be good ! LOL
  • Nanny OggNanny Ogg Bites backPosts: 9,345 Pool Forum VIP
    Before implementing any new ideas it might be worth considering either insisting that Vanilla Forums fix and maintain their software properly, or transferring the whole forum, including everything in the database ( so as not to lose all the historical good stuff ), over to a more professionally run forum provider.
  • yakoubyakoubyakoubyakoub Posts: 491 Pool Pro
    make tournaments bewteen the forum users. im pretty sure the word will pass by the facebook groups for 8 ball pool and tons of them will come here to participate and give prizes to the winners like a unique cue or cash
    Is there any time frame for these planned improvements?
    edited November 11
    i don't think showing your b00bies was part of the plan to grow the forum, lol :smiley: not that i'm against it, i just think it might violate some forum rule somewhere........lol
    At my age they can be called knee warmers, so no worries.
    *Aurora* wrote: »
    At my age they can be called knee warmers, so no worries.

LOL
  • SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,163 Pool Forum VIP
    edited November 12
    If none of my initial post was felt to be applicable....then my secondary way to grow the forum would be to find a nice spot with good loam soil, dig a 2.5" hole, place the forum in it and cover loosely....water thoroughly every day for a few days.....wait a while and see what pops up.... :)

Edit: I would probably sprinkle some Miracle Grow on the spot as well......that stuff works wonders..... :D

X5lbOom.gif
    Post edited by Sunidhifan on