Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

How would you grow the forum?

124»

Comments

• SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,305 Pool Forum VIP
    *Aurora* wrote: »
    The issue is the topics. After that come the posters, but topics first.

I see.....well I shall address each section from my point of view....

The issue should not be about who creates a thread. It's what is in the topic. Everyone should be welcome to join the discussion to discuss the topic. Of course, in the forums someone may decide that they are not going to "contribute" to a certain thread because it was created by a certain person. OK, that's fine, when someone makes an individual decision to stay out of the someone else's threads, but it becomes a problem when several people do so deliberately or by an agreement and simultaneously contribute to other threads of people, whom they like. This is what's called cliques. People form them and it shows in the forums IF the structure is not fixed and posting rules not obeyd.

Of course everyone is welcome to join any topic as long as they contribute to the topic, I personally have never had any issue with that at all....and I could care less who does it, or how many they do, as long as bumps of old threads remain on topic....bumping an old and dead thread on a totally off-topic post is an unacceptable way to up their post count....but on topic is perfectly OK in my book...but I get ahead of myself....
    The reason someone elects to join any given discussion is completely irrelevant....they either want to join or not, whether it is because they have no interest in the subject or they dislike the creator is moot.... Cliques are a part of human nature and happen in all aspects of life....some people naturally like each other and some people will never get along at all....except of course as needed in their professional or personal lives to make things work....part of life, always has been, always will be.... I see no way that policing of who posts when in where in your vision of 'fairness' could be enforced....lol...when you start telling people they have to post just as much in Johnny's thread as they do in Timmy's, it would empty of people faster than a pay-per-post (pool coins (gag) of course) feature.... :*
    But reacting to such a perceived belief that people are actually sitting in pm's or other social sites plotting against anyone and or deciding which threads they will respond to and which ones not is, tbh, bordering on Paranoia.....IMO.... :|

Posting games -type posts, where you repeat your similar replies over and over again, should go to Posting Games section. Personal threads like Sunid's Adventures should go to some section where personal threads are welcome. My achievements thread in Community section should go to separate section where talking about ME and MY game achievements is more allowed. I made the title as an example [ACHIEVEMENTS] *Aurora*. It used to be like that in the original forums.

What if we all created a thread of our own in the general topics section? It would be like the old Anagrammatic forums. Everyone had their personal threads there, if you tried to create a thread with a topic, it was bumped down by someone posting in all other threads just to say hello. It would become a popularity competition of whose thread is up there on first index page. Staying on first index page was to show which people were important there.

Is this happening here?

As you say....Posting game type threads should be placed in the Posting Games sub-category...such as this one should have been:
    https://www.miniclip.com/social/8-ball-pool/forum/en/#/discussion/25309/forum-bingo/p1
    To be guilty of the subject about which one is complaining about does not lend much support to one's point .... if you know what I mean.... :*

All challenge type threads should be in the sub-category of challenges...but that pretty much stopped a while ago and they are numerous throughout the Community Category....
    Same is true with Tournaments of any kind.....they should all be in the proper sub-category....but they are not, they are also all in the Community Category as well....
    No argument with you there at all ...... but there is, as most of us know, including you since you run your tournaments there, a very good reason for that....... Stuff disappears into a vacuum when put in a sub-category....people do not have the patience to search through all kinds of different places, they want everything front and center...if there were hundreds of active and participating members instead of the tens that there are, that would all be more proper, effective and easy to do....but as is..... if you want to guarantee obscurity, post in those sub-categories.... ;)

Sorry my personal thread offends you so much and that you felt the best way to demonstrate your displeasure was to create your personal achievement thread in protest...and that nobody seemed to make that connection.....but we are both limited to posting what is currently available...and at least my personal thread is in the most appropriate Category available....
    As to the worry of whether everyone would start doing the same, it is a bit moot since no one else has....I found a new toy after getting my new transportation...and I wanted to share...so I posted it in the only section available and applicable....again, sorry my topic offends you....Personally, I have no problem at all with personal achievement threads in the Community Category either, they relate to the game...and despite the fact that there are at least 10 different 'Achievements' type threads currently available to post in........and, as you say, there is no personal section available on this forum as on the original forum....but, this forum is not the old forum in many ways.....the old forum of course covered all of the MiniClip games and thusly, had, as I said above, hundreds of active and regular posters....it could handle the many sections and categories available and had multiple and active Admins, Mods and developers aplenty to monitor and maintain it....the devs all disappeared at MiniClip direction....and this forum is dedicated solely to Pool...even though it is their most popular game... The majority of players do not make it here, most who join seem to only find this place out of frustration with game issues and come here to complain or seek assistance...then disappear just as quickly.....As I said above, there are only tens of people who could be labeled as regular, long-term active members...and a few on and off semi-regulars.....the mods and admins do not participate here much on a full-time basis by any means...adding to their duties and responsibilities of policing even more sub-categories and posting activity is not realistic.... As I said in my initial post in this thread, and you obviously agree, more active participation by staff is a MUST to grow the forum...the community itself cannot make it grow and flourish...as you said as well, structure is needed...but so is consistent and regular monitoring and maintenance....

As to the Anagrammatic section....lol...who cares...seriously....if anyone wanted to participate, you easily could...I did on occasion and was made to feel welcome.....but the regulars all played multiple times every day...and all with each other...of course they all posted and talked to each other...it was their game and section after all........I never saw them having regular discussions as being exclusionary...or planned in order to ostracize anyone intentionally....I did not see it as a popularity contest on their first index page....just the place where they talked the most.....
    And frankly, from what I see, no...it is not happening here..... :|

Now that you look at the screen shot I sent, how is that welcoming to a newcomer? Since we are talking about growing the forums. It could be other names as well, but with the same scenario. A new member sees the board and always the same people "taking it", thinks it looks like I have to get along with just these few people to get along in these forums. Does he want that? He does not know them and has maybe not come to forums to look for buddies but to talk about interesting topics or have fun with anyone that thinks alike.
    The idea of a forum has been misunderstood here. Clearly this won't fix itself until staff makes changes.

You posting stats about started topics and Coolocker once telling me that my threads all die. To me this is evidence enough that I am being boycotted as a topic starter because there is a clique that wants to favor other threads. I don't mind if it is MY threads that die, it's more about diversity not being welcomed, if someone sees it important to count them. We all know that threads here are being bumped down. We all know how it happens.

What comes to community section, it would need an active moderator to delete duplicate threads, link wanderers to correct places. It would be important that the mod knows the games he's talking about, all versions of them, just to be able to relate with users' problems.

People, stop spamming and let go of your ego trips.

PS: Also, since it bothers you, Yakoub-yakoub did a favor to the forums during a silent spell by digging up some perfectly fine old threads with topics. I found many topics which I hadn't noticed before or I was - like many others - too lazy to go look beyond the first index page.

PPS: I miss Scootz.

Lol....love the way you put it in the first paragraph that your image as posted is off-putting to newcomers...as if our names there are more so than as when you put in your cute ending Post Script....that when yakoub-yakoub did it, it was interesting and a good thing for the forum when he did it making the Category intriquing and useful for you..... but if a more regular member does it, such as me and @Nanny Ogg it is bad and intimdating to a newcomer.... ....so what you are saying is that when your friend does it, as in here:

gAaC4ke.png

It is valuable and useful, but us two doing it is damaging and off-putting for the forum .....but more particularly....to you personally.... :*

First off....how would a newcomer know who is a longstanding member and who isn't?.....How would they have any clue that mine or Nanny's or yours or yakoub-yakoub or any other regular is a so-called dominate member that they need to kow-tow to?......They are new....they have no idea who is who or what is what...like all newcomers....They need to feel the place out a bit to start out....
    We do agree that more staff presence is needed to get things going and operating properly...again, see my initial post in the thread....

You made the complaint that the off-Topic section was out of control in becoming a Posting Games thread with way too many topics ....... I simply pointed out that in the last ten pages, you started 33 threads...many on similar topics as existing threads....so I merely pointed that out....hardly an indication of a boycott against your threads.....In point of fact, I happily joined your new music thread regarding cover bands.....you soon lost interest and discontinued posting there....so who was ignoring who?..... If you yourself lose interest in your own threads, are you boycotting yourself?
    When you complain that there are too many threads and topics, my commenting on the fact you created more than twice as many as the next most, who you also now say is spamming the forum, and in addition, almost ten times as many as the vast majority of members was not really supportive of your premise.....again, hardly an indicator of a boycott of any kind...just a fact.... :|
    And what pray-tell does what @COOLOCKER once said to you (no source quoted, just a random comment made somewhere) have to do with this thread?....Just more fodder for your misplaced and slightly paranoid belief that there is vast conspiracy against you here....I can assure, I have not discussed any concerted effort to target you here..... You pick and choose your battles as you see fit.....if you have alienated many with your sharp tongue and bossy attitude, that is on you, not me....You also have a long-standing and well-known habit of trying to draw others who have no involvement in an ongoing discussion.....such as mentioning Coolocker here...and David Roher in the describe yourself thread during our discussion there....you caught him off-guard with that I believe.... based on his reaction.... :* ...Who is doing all this bumping down?.....so if anyone makes posts that end up bumping your threads off the 1st index page, the only reason is to do so?....they are not just adding posts to threads that interest them during the time they are online and you are off, but specifically targeting your threads?.....laughable at best......everyones threads get bumped off there whenever they are not around and no one else is posting.....such as my personal thread you despise so much, not very many post responses there...lots of views, but few comments.....so it often gets bumped off the index page until I make another post......have never felt it was a coordinated and intentional plan being implemented....just that people wanted to post in other threads .....
    And now who is telling others how to behave?....lol...People need to stop spamming and let go of their egos...since that is all everyone else is doing, while you on the other hand are only contributing valuable material to the forum.... :* ....hardly a fact......just your opinion....

I will finish with how you still think yakoub-yakoub bumping threads bothers me in some way....That subject was covered and closed in the "What makes you angry" thread......you just refuse to accept it and still think what you inferred was what I said....when I clearly showed that not to be true....but again, you are right and everyone else is wrong...even the post author.... :D

You miss Scootz......I miss m4rt1n......but if he was here, we would not even be having this discussion..... :)

• Nanny OggNanny Ogg Grumpy Old MoosePosts: 9,580 Pool Forum VIP
    edited November 20
    @Sunidhifan

I do hope I don't get told off for posting this in the "wrong" thread and section, but after reading your beautifully thought out, well researched and well prepared responses and rebuttals in here I wanted to dedicate this song to you :D ;) olu1natk5qrf.gif

Post edited by Nanny Ogg on
  • TalhaTalha Posts: 663 Pool Expert
    7topleft wrote: »
    that took a while to read.......but it was worth every line :D

And I haven't got guts to read such a prolonged discussion :D
  • *Aurora**Aurora* A minute, an hour, a month. Death is certain. The time is not.Posts: 6,347 Pool Forum VIP
    edited November 20
    Sunidhifan wrote: »
    You miss Scootz......I miss m4rt1n......but if he was here, we would not even be having this discussion..... :)

You know, it's all too long for me to read and digest, let alone reply. I have realized that it's not a big deal to me, what the changes will be, if there's any.

Miniclip should in fact turn this forum into anything you, Nanny and anyone you agree with want it. You have so much passion for it. You'd go any lengths to get what you want.

Martin should also return, but I would have thought, he had already suffered enough.
  • creativehottycreativehotty THE GREAT WHITE NORTHPosts: 1,617 Pool Champion
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    @Sunidhifan

I do hope I don't get told off for posting this in the "wrong" thread and section, but after reading your beautifully thought out, well researched and well prepared responses and rebuttals in here I wanted to dedicate this song to you :D ;) olu1natk5qrf.gif

he just died yest :( :(

You know, it's all too long for me to read and digest, let alone reply. I have realized that it's not a big deal to me, what the changes will be, if there's any.

Miniclip should in fact turn this forum into anything you, Nanny and anyone you agree with want it. You have so much passion for it. You'd go any lengths to get what you want.

Martin should also return, but I would have thought, he had already suffered enough.

if you dint read it, how come ur replying ? seems odd to me ... just sayin :o
    @Sunidhifan

Awww how sad :'(
    I knew he was in hospital and had been suffering with dementia for some years, but that is sad news to hear. He was such a beautiful boy in his early career.
    @Sunidhifan

Awww how sad :'(
    I knew he was in hospital and had been suffering with dementia for some years, but that is sad news to hear. He was such a beautiful boy in his early career.

yest it was very sad, and he SURE was hehehe and ooh charles manson died too but who cares on that one eh :|
  • *Aurora**Aurora* A minute, an hour, a month. Death is certain. The time is not.Posts: 6,347 Pool Forum VIP

if you dint read it, how come ur replying ? seems odd to me ... just sayin :o

After struggling with some other long texts by Sunid, I'm convinced that he has viewed every aspect of my posts very thoroughly and they are all proved as garbage. The last paragraph was short enough for me to get through with my mild reading disability. But I agree with Sunid, let's ask Martin back and the forum will surely grow.
  • G11gamingG11gaming Contributor XDPosts: 3,040 Pool Champion
    Definitely as mentioned get the log-in issues ironed out, the page un-safe script thing resolved, make it a trusted site. Folk will feel more comfortable with the MC Pool Forum. Also create more links to the forum from say the mobile platform and those that are hosting your game on their site or sites. Oh and make it mobile friendly too, for example if you try to log in via your phone you can't , you have to tick a check box to enable it to go full site, okay i get that and many others do, but some don't and will just give up on it. So an easy access option to the MC Pool Forum is a must for forum growth , just my opinion ofc. B) :)
    @George Sweeper @Raquel Oliveira this is what folk don't want to see.

raejcpxvtbqn.jpg

It doesn't look professional.imo.
    What does that mean?
    What does that mean?

Just the info i got from Chrome browser.
    Yes, but I don't understand how would someone trick another by modifying a pic they are looking at?
    edited November 26
    Yes, but I don't understand how would someone trick another by modifying a pic they are looking at?

Probably not a very applicable issue with this forum in particular....but on other sites that are more image based in their purpose, such as celebrity pictures sites, news sites, information research sites, et al, the same security issue could be far more applicable and damaging .....

I believe the warning itself is kind of generic and shows up for any site that has a security coding issue.....something that started happening on the forum a few months back...and still exists to this day....I personally can never log into the forum at any time without having to "allow" unsecure site access.....it can be seen in a number of videos and images I uploaded in the past couple months and are in a few threads, but primarily in this thread:

https://www.miniclip.com/social/8-ball-pool/forum/en/#/discussion/25404/is-www-miniclip-com-a-safe-and-secure-website

I saw an official response from MiniClip that in their opinion, it is a non sequitur issue since they cannot replicate it at their facility, therefore it does not exist..... ;)

But again, as I said above, probably not a very big issue here on the forum..... :*

X5lbOom.gif

The interwebs is a complex affair. Unless you know what you are looking for. ;) glad i have IT on my side. :smiley: i'll pm you.
  • David RohrerDavid Rohrer Posts: 580 Pool Pro
    mine says secure, with lock icon, where yours has the "info" button G11. Chrome up to date?
    edited November 27
    mine says secure, with lock icon, where yours has the "info" button G11. Chrome up to date?

This has been going on for quite a while now.....I made a few videos to show it.... ;)

But I made this just now....using all three fully up to date browsers....in fact, lol..Firefox updates when I open it in this video...But as you can see, it is the only way I can get on the forum anymore.... @Nanny Ogg 's method of right clicking and @Zanna136 's method of clicking on any persons name both stopped working for me.....I HAVE to "allow unsafe script" on every browser, every time I sign in...... :s

It does not effect everyone.....no idea what the criteria is to be one so effected, but lucky me got chosen..... :D ...MiniClip cannot replicate the issue on their end, so the problem does not exist... :*

X5lbOom.gif
  • SilentR4ySilentR4y Machismo Town Posts: 2,456 Pool Champion
    How would you grow the forum?

I would put it on a sunny windowsill and pour water every other day.
124»