Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Loot Boxes and the Death of Gaming As We Knew It.

Nanny OggNanny Ogg Bah Humbug !Posts: 9,608 Pool Forum VIP
I could have sat down and written a thoroughly long winded essay on the issue of microtransactions, loot boxes and the disgusting and excessive greed of todays gaming companies, but as I would be criticising MC along with all the other moneygrubbing companies in the gaming industry this thread would not be guaranteed to last very long, so why waste all the time and effort doing so when the guy in the following video makes all the necessary points better than I could have done anyway.

The sad thing is that the gaming industry won't change it's manipulative dirty tricks and tactics as long as there are enough gullible mugs out there continuing to fall for them.

Watch or don't watch, it's up to you, but if you want to educate yourself on how you may be being made a fool of then sit back, grab a cup of coffee or a glass of beer, chill out and take a break for a few minutes and you might just have your eyes opened ;)

Comments

• SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,313 Pool Forum VIP
    b0230.gif

@Nanny Ogg So true.....although as you say, probably will not be here long..... ;)

Tis the reason I have detested the shiny golden pieces of fecal matter and associated fluff since December 11, 2012...... :* ...and always will.... :)

X5lbOom.gif

• fellow biafrafellow biafra Posts: 6 Pool Player
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Been there, done that.Posts: 2,638 Pool Champion
    edited November 27
    Funny you should mention this Nan, as i just happened to be reading this, this morning:

http://www.pcgamer.com/revenue-from-pc-free-to-play-microtransactions-has-doubled-since-2012/?utm_content=buffer7bd10&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

When there is mega money to be made this way, then you could expect almost every game developer to follow that same path. Pure greed though.

I have also read somewhere that some countries consider it such a big problem, that they are trying to ban it all. Lets hope so.
    Post edited by COOLOCKER on
  • Nanny OggNanny Ogg Bah Humbug !Posts: 9,608 Pool Forum VIP
    edited November 27
    @COOLOCKER

Yep, as he says in the vid, gambling is illegal for under 18s in every country in the world except when it comes to computer games.
    They are exploiting a loophole in gambling laws to take advantage of vulnerable people, and storing up addiction problems for whole generations to come.
  • cidercodercidercoder Posts: 912 Pool Expert
    As the bloke says "It's a cancer on the gaming industry" and practically never improves a game . . . . . but then we all knew this :neutral:
    cidercoder wrote: »
    As the bloke says "It's a cancer on the gaming industry" and practically never improves a game . . . . . but then we all knew this :neutral:

We did indeed Cider, I just hope that some of those that haven't yet come to the same conclusion will watch the vid and realise how they are being manipulated.
    A bit off topic here Nan, soz, but has something to do with the gaming industry.

This article just goes to show the lengths some companies will go to to get their pound of flesh. It seems your never too young to be taken to court for cheating. I agree that cheating is a scourge on the game, and should be dealt with. And if anything, these loot boxes (although not mentioned here in the article) are only going some way to encourage it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/mother-of-14-year-old-sued-by-fortnite-developer-claims-son-is-scapegoat/?utm_content=buffercf289&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb
  • SilentR4ySilentR4y Machismo Town Posts: 2,456 Pool Champion
    edited November 28
    Just don't play in multiplayer Nan, why would you want to hear a bunch of 12 year olds talking about your mother anyway? Go offline, download some trainer that'll give you infinite lootboxes, and if you're really p1ss3d at the devs join the dark side - Yarrr.

edit: lol that word censored too? :D
    COOLOCKER wrote: »
    A bit off topic here Nan, soz, but has something to do with the gaming industry.

This article just goes to show the lengths some companies will go to to get their pound of flesh. It seems your never too young to be taken to court for cheating. I agree that cheating is a scourge on the game, and should be dealt with. And if anything, these loot boxes (although not mentioned here in the article) are only going some way to encourage it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/mother-of-14-year-old-sued-by-fortnite-developer-claims-son-is-scapegoat/?utm_content=buffercf289&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Corporate fatcats vs a child ? Can these people sink any lower ? You don't need to answer that, I think we already know LOL

SilentR4y wrote: »
    Just don't play in multiplayer Nan, why would you want to hear a bunch of 12 year olds talking about your mother anyway? Go offline, download some trainer that'll give you infinite lootboxes, and if you're really p1ss3d at the devs join the dark side - Yarrr.

edit: lol that word censored too? :D

I wonder if people understand that MC's rare, epic and legendary boxes are the same pseudo- gambling loophole exploiting items as the loot crates in the triple A titles in the video ?

I don't play multiplayer games Ray, ( except for 8ball ), and I am the mother those 12 year old brats are constantly insulting LOL
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    I wonder if people understand that MC's rare, epic and legendary boxes are the same pseudo- gambling loophole exploiting items as the loot crates in the triple A titles in the video ?

At least MC is free to play company so you know what you're signing up for, f2p have always been equal to pay 2 win system.
    edited November 28

At least MC is free to play company so you know what you're signing up for, f2p have always been equal to pay 2 win system.

The only issue I have with the system is that it should not be a gamble, you should know exactly what you are paying for.

The only issue I have with the system is that it should not be a gamble, you should know exactly what you are paying for.

Yeah i agree with you, well maybe this recent controversy with EA's star wars game lead to something, i heard Belgium was thinking about considering loot box system as an online gambling, maybe other countries will join them.
    edited November 28

Yeah i agree with you, well maybe this recent controversy with EA's star wars game lead to something, i heard Belgium was thinking about considering loot box system as an online gambling, maybe other countries will join them.

I hope so Ray, I understand businesses have a need to make a profit but they seem to have forgotten that there is a difference between making a profit and profiteering.
  • *Cheetah Girl**Cheetah Girl* Queen Bee Posts: 766 Pool Expert
    @Nanny Ogg , lets hope this game site will not become membership fee . They might charge us dollar or two for membership ? Who knows for the future . :D
    @Nanny Ogg , lets hope this game site will not become membership fee . They might charge us dollar or two for membership ? Who knows for the future . :D

Actually Cheetah I wouldn't mind that provided they got rid of all the stupid overpowered sdsf cues and boxes and other pay to win rubbish and we all played on the same level playing field with the same cues and no coins ;)
    A little insight again into how the games manipulate players. And i reckon this crowd here have this exact scenario going on with the legendary cues with their new levels attached, lol. If you want it bad enough, the game will recognise it, and let you stew.

http://www.pcgamer.com/us-lawmaker-who-called-out-star-wars-battlefront-2-lays-out-plans-for-anti-loot-box-law/?utm_content=buffer5bcef&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb
    COOLOCKER wrote: »
    A little insight again into how the games manipulate players. And i reckon this crowd here have this exact scenario going on with the legendary cues with their new levels attached, lol. If you want it bad enough, the game will recognise it, and let you stew.

http://www.pcgamer.com/us-lawmaker-who-called-out-star-wars-battlefront-2-lays-out-plans-for-anti-loot-box-law/?utm_content=buffer5bcef&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Thanks for the link Jimmy, although I found the comments even more interesting than the article itself LOL

It always amazes me how many people willingly defend corporate greed and run scared of any kind of governmental oversight.
    So many people seem to want to go back and live in the days of the wild, wild west without realising that their ancestors were ten times tougher than they themselves are, because they had to be.
    Lots of tough talking keyboard warriors that wouldn't last 5 minutes in the really hard times.
    They seem to want to live in an anarchistic society where survival of the fittest comes first and devil take the hindmost ( where the hindmost are the one's that can't always fend for themselves ).
    How did we manage to breed so many people with absolutely no empathy or compassion for the weaker members of society ?

The attitude of "I'm alright Jack" is pervasive in the more conservative elements of the population, and it's getting worse.
    The religious are always spouting about how they are being discriminated against while claiming their religion gives them the right to discriminate against others ( and all three of the major Abrahamic religions are guilty of that ).
    The victimisers bleat that they are the victims.

None of us knows where this world will be in twenty years time, but the way it's going right now I'm glad I won't be around to see it.