Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Why bother team playing?

The_Hurricane75The_Hurricane75 Posts: 11 Pool Player
I’m new to this forum so Hi all.
After catching up and reading through threads. It seems that many users are actually team players. Why bother? It’s not like real money is involved.
Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Carl TalesCarl Tales Posts: 706 Pool Expert
    It’s the prestige of winning a world event. I was contacted a few weeks ago by the world record holder for the weekly total. It is a team of 8 brothers and they have won the world league many times. The brother that contacted me said it had nothing to do with pool cash but just for the thrill of winning a world event. I can see where he is coming from. The world league like it or not (most of us don’t) is now a team event

• Nanny OggNanny Ogg Bah Humbug !Posts: 9,608 Pool Forum VIP
    Prestige ?
    What a crock !
    Where's the thrill of winning when they are cheating ?
    Someone needs to inform these "bros" that most decent people have nothing but contempt for them.

There is prestige in winning a world event. The top 200 or so in the world league are all playing as teams. MC know this happens and don’t do anything about it so it’s seen as being ok and therefore all the top teams are playing fairly against each other.
    Carl Tales wrote: »
    There is prestige in winning a world event. The top 200 or so in the world league are all playing as teams. MC know this happens and don’t do anything about it so it’s seen as being ok and therefore all the top teams are playing fairly against each other.

When something is intrinsically wrong yet condoned and allowed to continue, does that make it any less wrong ?
    Not in my book it doesn't.

All those people who play the game the way it is supposed to be played will never have a chance.

No, there is no prestige in winning a world event if you have to cheat to do it.
    That is especially true if the world knows you are cheating.
    I’m not for this as I mentioned in my first post. I’m totally against it and I know of several ways MC could easily alter the league system to make if fair for individuals to compete. But as all the players in the top 200 or so are all playing as teams they don’t see that they are doing anything wrong.

The OP asked why people bother playing as teams and it is for the prestige of winning a world event.. The only possible way of winning is by entering as a team. (Or as you say by cheating) :D
  • joe.joe. Posts: 234 Pool Pro
    But where's the real prestige in all of that? I've never bothered with any of the leagues - I only play for the enjoyment of breaking and clearing, that's it, not anything to do with arbitrary coins. If anything It'd depress me winning a big league as that'd mean I'd have wasted a significant portion of my week on something not fruitful at all
  • G11gamingG11gaming Contributor XDPosts: 3,046 Pool Champion
    joe. wrote: »
    But where's the real prestige in all of that? I've never bothered with any of the leagues - I only play for the enjoyment of breaking and clearing, that's it, not anything to do with arbitrary coins. If anything It'd depress me winning a big league as that'd mean I'd have wasted a significant portion of my week on something not fruitful at all

Same here i couldn't give a toss about being top of any scoreboard, it's just a game for me, a break from reality, a break from the daily grind. Okay if i find myself at the top or near the top then so what :)
    G11gaming wrote: »

Same here i couldn't give a toss about being top of any scoreboard, it's just a game for me, a break from reality, a break from the daily grind. Okay if i find myself at the top or near the top then so what :)

Yeah exactly :smile:
  • cidercodercidercoder Posts: 912 Pool Expert
    edited December 4
    Completely agree ! Prestige lol, not at all, just a sad joke.
    cidercoder wrote: »

One good idea to maybe help the 'purist' keep interest is to add a 'denial leader-board' - it'd at least give people ability to compare their own record of denials between weeks too
  • cidercodercidercoder Posts: 912 Pool Expert
    edited December 4
    One good idea to maybe help the 'purist' keep interest is to add a 'denial leader-board' - it'd at least give people ability to compare their own record of denials between weeks too
    Yes, more stats to do with the actual playing of the game would be welcome. People seem sadly more interested (and prestige lol !?) in coins/cash/rings/leaderboards or whatever, somewhere along the line the sheer enjoyment of pitting your skills against a fellow minded opponent seems to have got completely lost !
  • Slartibartfast6Slartibartfast6 Posts: 445 Pool Pro
    Prestige???
    Yes, more stats to do with the actual playing of the game would be welcome. People seem sadly more interested (and prestige lol !?) in coins/cash/rings/leaderboards or whatever, somewhere along the line the sheer enjoyment of pitting your skills against a fellow minded opponent seems to have got completely lost !

Yep definitely unfortunately...I've played this game on various accounts since 2012 and only improvement really is game physics got slightly better for old version in 2014 (?), since that nothing, just new tactics to encourage people to spend their actual real money really
  • creativehottycreativehotty THE GREAT WHITE NORTHPosts: 1,617 Pool Champion
    Prestige???

LOL !!!!
  • David RohrerDavid Rohrer Posts: 595 Pool Pro
    I don't care about TRYING to get on leaderboards or on tops of them for that matter either. When i was "ring hunting", trying to get at least one ring from each tier, i inadvertently ended up topping my league leaderboard and got some weird message from miniclip... this was like march through may of this year and then all sudden, with like 14hrs left, there had been no one near me in coins winnings in that league because again, i was racking them up playing higher tiers trying to get rings and some GROUP of people, because it knocked me to like 6th, lol, comes raging up and wins the leaderboard. ANNND like i said i'm the one who got some weird message from MC like i was doing something wrong? I didn't even MEAN to get ON a leaderboard, i was stepping up a tier every time i got a ring, nothing more. So yeah, it showed me what i already knew, i don't give a phart about a leaderboard because even if you do it "right" (albeit on accident), MC accuses you of something out of nothing, and/or the team players come at last hours of it and sweep the board. I just kept on getting my rings :D :D :D helper monkey says "meh!", doesn't care.........
  • SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,313 Pool Forum VIP
    There is no 'I' in TEAM.......

But there are two of them in 'Idiots'.......just saying.... :*

Prestige my derriere...... :s

X5lbOom.gif
  • creativehottycreativehotty THE GREAT WHITE NORTHPosts: 1,617 Pool Champion
    Sunidhifan wrote: »
    There is no 'I' in TEAM.......

But there are two of them in 'Idiots'.......just saying.... :*

Prestige my derriere...... :s

X5lbOom.gif

hehehehe ;)
    edited December 5
    Not really sure why me using the word 'Prestige' has caused so much fuss. LOL I answered the OP question and like it or not there is prestige in winning the league for these team players. Most of us on here (Me included) don't have the widespread respect and admiration for these team players but they are not competing against us. They compete against other teams and to prove their team is the best they all want to win the league.

@joe. Here you go, Give this a try if you'd like to compare your ability. - https://www.miniclip.com/social/8-ball-pool/forum/en/#/discussion/25632/denial-challenge/p1
    edited December 5
    Not really sure why me using the word 'Prestige' has caused so much fuss. LOL I answered the OP question and like it or not there is prestige in winning the league for these team players. Most of us on here (Me included) don't have the widespread respect and admiration for these team players but they are not competing against us. They compete against other teams and to prove their team is the best they all want to win the league.

@joe. Here you go, Give this a try if you'd like to compare your ability. - https://www.miniclip.com/social/8-ball-pool/forum/en/#/discussion/25632/denial-challenge/p1

It might have something to do with the fact that every time you say you don't agree with their tactics you end the sentence with some sort of caveat.....

You "understand" where they are coming from.
    They are playing "fairly" against each other.
    Or as you say by cheating.
    Widespread respect and admiration.

There's no grey area here, either they are cheating or they are not.
    There is no "understanding", unless that includes condoning cheating due to circumstances.
    Cheating is cheating whatever the circumstances.
    They are not playing in isolation from the rest of the 8ball world, therefore just because they are playing each other does not mean they are playing "fairly".
    They are cheating, regardless of whatever I, or anyone else says, it's an undeniable fact.
    No excuses.
    None.
    As far as I am aware there is no "widespread respect and admiration" for these barrel scrapings.
    Maybe amongst other cheats there may be, but the opinions of cheats are worth less than dirt on the bottom of my shoe.

Making excuses for cheats, condoning their practices because "everyone else is doing it" is just the thin end of a very dangerous wedge whereby over time less principled people may come to accept that wrong is right, that black is white, that 2 + 2 = 5, and I, for one, am not going to stand for it.

• Slartibartfast6Slartibartfast6 Posts: 445 Pool Pro

I don’t think it’s your use of the term that’s so outrageous, it’s more like someone (you) finally summed it up accurately and it’s just a bit hard to swallow.