Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Spin and arrow keys

_raoul_raoul Posts: 254 Pool Pro
I have always had disdain for the idiots on PC who don't use the arrow keys for spin (line up shot, break away to choose pocket, line up shot, break away to choose spin, line up shot, finally take the shot 30s later).

But with the new bug where the arrow keys are messed up, I now realize... I have no idea how spin works. After playing a billion games there is a neural net in my brain that controls my fingers to pick the right spin, but I have no access to that to choose the spin consciously.

Comments

• SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,313 Pool Forum VIP
    edited December 6
    Lol......well, considering that I have never once used the arrow keys to apply my spin, I always use the mouse to click on where I want it......and you labeled me an idiot for doing so...... ;) ....not really sure I want to share any tips or secrets I may have...... :*

:D :) ....I don't really have any.....I just know where I want to put it for any shot I use it on.....so I put the cursor there and click the mouse.....has always worked for me..... ;)

Edit: As to the basics in use of spin....one must keep in mind that spin is closely tied to power used, distance between cue ball and object ball, angle of approach/deflection and desired effect after contact with both object ball and subsequently the cushions......

Top spin - anything above center line on cue ball will generally create forward spin on the cue ball...meaning it will continue to roll forward after contact.....the higher above center line you apply, the greater amount of forward momentum created.....

Bottom spin - anything below center line of cue ball will generally cause the cue ball to either stop after contact (very little spin used) or to back-up after contact (the lower down from center on cue ball applied, the greater the back spin, hence more back-up)....

And again, the amount of any of the above effects are dependent on both distance between cue ball and object ball and power used..... ;)

Side spin of any kind, and used in conjunction with top or bottom spin is generally used to get the cue ball to turn in the applied direction after contact....it is also far more effective after contact with a cushion rather than another ball.....but again, distance between object ball and/or cushion is a huge factor in the power one applies as well..... ;)

Hope that helps a little..... :)

X5lbOom.gif
    Post edited by Sunidhifan on
  • _raoul_raoul Posts: 254 Pool Pro
    Ha, well thanks man, but my fingers have all that stuff figured out.

But really, you should try the arrow keys. It speeds the game up by a factor of 3-4.
    edited December 6
    For some that may be true....however, in my case, arthritis and MS make using the arrow keys very difficult and oftentimes painful....so I have always just used the mouse and cursor method...... I generally know what spin I want on my next shot before the balls even stop moving from the last shot taken, so I already have the cursor where I want it before I can even shoot again....so very little delay for me..... ;)

As a p. s. here.....I probably use the spin applied on the cue ball far less than most.....I tend to depend on power and '"mouse manipulated" spin a LOT......lol...always have...

X5lbOom.gif
  • _raoul_raoul Posts: 254 Pool Pro
    All right, as per usual you get a special dispensation :) . But all others take heed.
    edited December 6
    :D :D :D

Thanks..... ;) :)

@_raoul As support of my above p. s. regarding my lack of using applied spin on the cue ball....in this video, you can see, the only time I used it in the entire game was on the break...... ;)

X5lbOom.gif
  • usman_mobiusman_mobi Posts: 55 Pool Player
    _raoul wrote: »
    I have always had disdain for the idiots on PC who don't use the arrow keys for spin (line up shot, break away to choose pocket, line up shot, break away to choose spin, line up shot, finally take the shot 30s later).

at least these persons give you ball in hand a plenty of times :D
    _raoul wrote: »
    But with the new bug where the arrow keys are messed up, I now realize... I have no idea how spin works. After playing a billion games there is a neural net in my brain that controls my fingers to pick the right spin, but I have no access to that to choose the spin consciously.

if you are talking about new pc version, i too had a bad experience with that. pressing the arrow key for fraction of a second that gives full spin in old pc version has literally no effect in new version.

• cidercodercidercoder Posts: 912 Pool Expert
    I always use the arrow keys for spin ! :wink:
  • usman_mobiusman_mobi Posts: 55 Pool Player
    Sunidhifan wrote: »
    I generally know what spin I want on my next shot before the balls even stop moving from the last shot taken, so I already have the cursor where I want it before I can even shoot again....so very little delay for me..... ;)

As a p. s. here.....I probably use the spin applied on the cue ball far less than most.....I tend to depend on power and '"mouse manipulated" spin a LOT......lol...always have...

X5lbOom.gif

level of skill that i can only dream of
  • joe.joe. Posts: 234 Pool Pro
    Obviously Sunidhifan manages without the arrow keys just fine, so he's fine like that - but for all beginners, use the arrow keys, especially if you have a laptop. Also if you have a laptop, just touch the touchpad to perform the shot itself, don't press on the usual buttons if that makes any sense? As that gives you much better cue ball control.

My personal style of play is very dependant on manipulation of the cue ball, I'll never play a shot plain ball unless I have a very small margin of error rolling the ball forward. It helps both in negotiating the clearance pattern wise, and mentally too, as it forces you to play with more confidence. Even though I manipulate the cue ball a lot, I hardly hit the ball hard, though.
  • joe.joe. Posts: 234 Pool Pro
    Sunidhifan wrote: »
    :D :D :D

@_raoul As support of my above p. s. regarding my lack of using applied spin on the cue ball....in this video, you can see, the only time I used it in the entire game was on the break...... ;)

X5lbOom.gif

Wow that is just ridiculous @Sunidhifan! Unreal...

Though must say use of spin is a complete different matter when playing indirect, only spin that should be applied unless you're really trying to straighten a ball up is centre ball or draw, that's it
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Been there, done that.Posts: 2,638 Pool Champion
    Have never used the arrow keys myself, i have always used the mouse. But then again, im in no rush, as i like to take my time with things. The world is in a speed frenzy at this moment, and could do with a lot of slowing down.

5 reasons why slow is better:

1: Ageing. Who wants to grow old quick?

2: Eating. The benefits of slow eating include better digestion, better hydration, easier weight loss or maintenance, and greater satisfaction with our meals.

3: Drinking. Lashing back the gargle only serves for a night with your head on the toilet bowl (lose street cred). Slowing down ensures you stay the distance and dont miss the craic (increase street cred).

4: Sleeping. Studies have also shown that folks who slow down tend to sleep better than those who rush.

5: And finally, last but not least, ;)

Now, i think that covers the 5 best reasons to slow down, lol.
    edited December 6
    joe. wrote: »
    Wow that is just ridiculous @Sunidhifan! Unreal...

X5lbOom.gif