Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

What would you do in this spot?

odlllboodlllbo Posts: 296 Pool Pro
Was playing a tough opponent and this spot came up: (I'm playing solids obv :) )
giyg2jder6kv.png

Im still not sure the best way to play it. I have a couple ideas but nothing im super confident in. In the game I ended up thinking so long I ran out of time lol. :s

Any thoughts?

Comments

• G11gamingG11gaming Rock out :BPosts: 4,555 Pool Champion
    I would have gone for the snooker behind the yellow. :)
  • odlllboodlllbo Posts: 296 Pool Pro
    G11gaming wrote: »
    I would have gone for the snooker behind the yellow. :)

:) Yea but assuming he keeps nudging the yellow how do I get it free?
  • christhecueballchristhecueball Posts: 325 Pool Pro
    the only option i see by a quick look is a destuctive one but the only one i think!
    roll the 6 in followed by a stopshot on the 7, then roll the 5 onto the 8 and put the white behind the 1 and then have alot of patience lol
  • VijayGunnersVijayGunners Posts: 782 Pool Expert
    Bank the yellow in to the bottom left pocket? Tricky one for sure. :/

Rolling up behind the yellow could leave straight up/down the table bank on for the black.
    edited January 18
    or you could try to get the 8 out by starting with the 5 and trying to get the right angle on the 7......then you could try to get the 8 out by hitting the long rail first, but that needs a perfect white!
    think i´d go with option 1
    oooooor you make a delib foul by tapping the 8 onto the 1 rail first......hmmmm guess thats the right thing to do......he cant do anything and the 8 is bit further fom the hole!
    oooooor you make a delib foul by tapping the 8 onto the 1 rail first......hmmmm guess thats the right thing to do......he cant do anything and the 8 is bit further fom the hole!

Ah ha! Nice idea. I didn't think of that. I would still need a precise hit cause I can't leave him enough room to place the cb between the pocket and the 8 and then just leave me hooked. If i play it perfect what's his next shot?

With ur first option I like the idea of putting the 5 on top of the 8 to block the kick cause once he nudges that 8 a bit closer to the pocket the kick becomes a pretty high percentage shot. If he does nudge the one with his next shot I guess it's just about using my ball in hand to push the one out just far enough off the rail where it gets tougher for him to renudge it.

It's tough to think too far ahead here cuz it's gonna really depend on what he does with his next shot. Guess it's gonna come down to patience like u said and who messes up first.

Rolling up behind the yellow could leave straight up/down the table bank on for the black.

Yea I thought about the bank but I think the cb is a bit too close and would prob scratch.
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,353 Pool Champion
    I would of tried potting the 5 in the centre then the 7 top right leaving the cue ball at the top then the 6 in the bottom right moving the black our of the way and freeing up potting the yellow
  • JJoeJJoe OLD PC/MOBILE Posts: 793 Pool Expert
    Idk really, but first thing that came to mind was to roll the 6 in, then half ball roll the 5 towards the black. Hopefully covering the black, then play waiting game
    I would of tried potting the 5 in the centre then the 7 top right leaving the cue ball at the top then the 6 in the bottom right moving the black our of the way and freeing up potting the yellow

what? 5 center and 7 top right? how? lol with a power srewshot on the 5 in the middle? and splitting with the 6? lol thats a really really bad option........
    odlllbo wrote: »

Ah ha! Nice idea. I didn't think of that. I would still need a precise hit cause I can't leave him enough room to place the cb between the pocket and the 8 and then just leave me hooked. If i play it perfect what's his next shot?

With ur first option I like the idea of putting the 5 on top of the 8 to block the kick cause once he nudges that 8 a bit closer to the pocket the kick becomes a pretty high percentage shot. If he does nudge the one with his next shot I guess it's just about using my ball in hand to push the one out just far enough off the rail where it gets tougher for him to renudge it.

It's tough to think too far ahead here cuz it's gonna really depend on what he does with his next shot. Guess it's gonna come down to patience like u said and who messes up first.

in both options it depends what oppo does, but you have the tablecontroll and you can decide, not him.......
    and still im thinking the delib fouls is the best option, the only real positve option, since you can split it then much easier and you dont have to go in a patience battle!
    odlllbo wrote: »

Yea I thought about the bank but I think the cb is a bit too close and would prob scratch.

bank isnt available here i think....even if, its a do or die shot.....no option
    Ah Nice one! I didn't think of that either. At first glance I didn't think the 6 passed the 8 but it looks like if it's hit rail first at the right speed it'll glance off the 8 into the pocket.

Think this might be the best solution.
    Last post was to Carl btw
    oh true, the six could pass, that changes everything ofc lol
    edited January 18
    but you need to smooth it, and then its not guaranteed that you have a open 1 after....
    also starting 5 to the middle isnt the shot i would wanna play.....
  • JJoeJJoe OLD PC/MOBILE Posts: 793 Pool Expert
    oh! I read carl's post wrong at first, he means the 6 passes the 8? May do actually, problem solved if so - though I'd just screw up past the 6 with the 5, to then play the 6, not have to try to play it in middle, just play it in bottom right
    oh true, the six could pass, that changes everything ofc lol

I guess even if it doesn't pass u could use the 6 to block the pocket. Gotta hit good speed tho. Once the 6 is blocking the 8 u can free the one.
    joe. wrote: »
    oh! I read carl's post wrong at first, he means the 6 passes the 8? May do actually, problem solved if so - though I'd just screw up past the 6 with the 5, to then play the 6, not have to try to play it in middle, just play it in bottom right

yeah, 5 to the middle is suicide.....for me lol
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,353 Pool Champion
    5 centre is as basic a shot as you can hope to take on so lol all you like. The only problem I’d face is whether the gaps there to pot the green.

I think you’re post proves why I was quick to defend myself when you commented on my videos. I’ve proven I make a high % of denials and rarely miss. I believe I would of made a denial if that was my table! wheras your option is 80% chance of losing.