Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Hiding the ball - fair or not?

Nikola MiljanićNikola Miljanić Posts: 2 New Member
Hi everyone,
From time to time I get in a situation where I don't have any good attacking options, and (as an occasional snooker player) I tend to look for defensive moves, and I hide the ball.
Many times my opponents have negative comments about those moves, so I started doubting whether they are considered fair play or not.
In snooker they are legitimate and even respectful when good, but what about 8 ball?
Tagged:

Comments

• Nanny OggNanny Ogg Growing Old DisgracefullyPosts: 10,650 Pool Forum Veteran
    If it's not against the rules then of course it's fair.

It's only those players who aren't very good at the game that complain about snookering ( looks in the mirror and grins sheepishly :D ) LOL

I was one of those people for the longest time, and I still don't like it very much LOL
    But over time I have come to accept that it is a perfectly valid strategic ploy.
  • Nanny OggNanny Ogg Growing Old DisgracefullyPosts: 10,650 Pool Forum Veteran
    Oh I almost forgot... Welcome to the Forum ! LOL

If you've been playing here at MC for any length of time I'm sure you must have gotten used to negative comments by now anyway, since they actively encourage bad sportsmanship with their ridiculous chat packs LOL
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Secluder.Posts: 3,710 Pool Champion
    Yep, no problem at all with defensive play. Its just that some countries deem defensive play as a no no. But some countries look on it as a part of the game also. I always go on the attack myself, but when its just not possible to finish off a game, then the defensive play comes out.
  • cidercodercidercoder Posts: 1,050 Pool Champion
    edited February 3
    Hi everyone, From time to time I get in a situation where I don't have any good attacking options, and (as an occasional snooker player) I tend to look for defensive moves, and I hide the ball.
    Perfectly fine with me, sometimes there is no other option, after all, you're trying to win a game ! I've had opponents do it to me, so all's fair !

• christhecueballchristhecueball Posts: 379 Pool Pro
    a good safetybattle is one of the most enjoyabale things in the game and a very good skilltest! and if someone dislikes your moves you know they cant have much clue about the game!
    go for it.....lol
  • JJoeJJoe OLD PC/MOBILE Posts: 875 Pool Expert
    Agree with all previous posters, unless other rules were agreed prior just do whatever you need to in order to win. Though, 'attacking safeties' are what you ought to play in most cases, but you'll know that :)
  • LuxtelumLuxtelum Posts: 143 Pool Pro
    Hi everyone,
    From time to time I get in a situation where I don't have any good attacking options, and (as an occasional snooker player) I tend to look for defensive moves, and I hide the ball.
    Many times my opponents have negative comments about those moves, so I started doubting whether they are considered fair play or not.
    In snooker they are legitimate and even respectful when good, but what about 8 ball?

I play mostly in the lower tier games, but I play defense when there isn't a good shot available...sure its fair..don't know if you would call it "hiding" the ball..but i align the cue ball so my opponent doesnt get a good shot..its called "defense"....
  • Nikola MiljanićNikola Miljanić Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks for clearing things up guys, I'll enjoy the game more now while playing it with clear conscience :)
    Luxtelum wrote: »
    I don't know if you would call it "hiding" the ball..but i align the cue ball so my opponent doesnt get a good shot..its called "defense"....

Sure, thanks, English is not my native language so I just translated the term we use in Serbian.
  • KnutKaseKnutKase Posts: 5 New Member
    It's fair. When it gets annoying is when a player does it on every single shot. I see it happen all the time in tournament play. That's no way to play the game.
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,398 Pool Champion
    KnutKase wrote: »
    It's fair. When it gets annoying is when a player does it on every single shot. I see it happen all the time in tournament play. That's no way to play the game.

It’s just an alternative way to play the game. Nothing wrong in playing tournaments to win by time out.
  • Deimos666Deimos666 Mobile / AndroidPosts: 588 Pool Expert
    edited February 9
    Snookering is perfectly fine in my opinion as I've stated in the past, and I do it when needed, completely fair; it certainly isn't easy to do well.

I've also had people run out my timer in tournaments (mainly when I first started playing 8 ball pool), but they generally give that up if you do ok making contact with your ball well.

I don't have the patience to win a frame by timing out my opponent, I hate sitting waiting in the tournaments for players to finish, I try it win as fast as possible. :D
  • UnEquiVocaL EnDUnEquiVocaL EnD Posts: 531 Pool Expert

It’s just an alternative way to play the game. Nothing wrong in playing tournaments to win by time out.

Most satisfying when you get an idiot touch the pack on the break deliberately then you play the clock against them.
  • KnutKaseKnutKase Posts: 5 New Member
    Deimos666 wrote: »
    I don't have the patience to win a frame by timing out my opponent, I hate sitting waiting in the tournaments for players to finish, I try it win as fast as possible. :D

Likewise.
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,398 Pool Champion
    edited February 9

Likewise.

But surely that contradicts what your saying. If you win fast it is likely you will be waiting for your next opponent to finish. Whereas if you win slowly then you won’t have any time to wait.

I posted a video winning Chicago few weeks back and its worth posting again discussing this topic because what I noticed was quite unusual. Take a look at how long I’m waiting between 1st and 2nd match....... I can only think of one explanation

• davylfc66davylfc66 Posts: 232 Pool Pro
    Hiding the ball is a fair tactic , i hide it from myself in most games :D
    davylfc66 wrote: »

LAMO. Post of the week there.
  • cidercodercidercoder Posts: 1,050 Pool Champion
    COOLOCKER wrote: »
    lol, I was thinking that as well mate :wink:
    edited February 10

Likewise.

But surely that contradicts what your saying. If you win fast it is likely you will be waiting for your next opponent to finish. Whereas if you win slowly then you won’t have any time to wait.

I posted a video winning Chicago few weeks back and its worth posting again discussing this topic because what I noticed was quite unusual. Take a look at how long I’m waiting between 1st and 2nd match....... I can only think of one explanation

I thought about that Carl, but I still try to win fast, but yes, you are waiting for other players even doing so. I suppose I "hope" others are doing the same to get on to the final, but can be a long wait sometimes. :'( I still don't have the patience to try to time out an opponent, just not fun to me.

I'll also add, I just watched your video. I've had some long waits like that too, maybe even longer at times, been long enough I got to the point I was about to close the APP as I didn't want to wait anymore and then my opponent showed up. Can be brutal sitting there waiting.
    Although its a tactic that can be used well, its not something i have ever tried in the game, to time out somebody. And i guess thats why the clock is there also, but also to try and move the tourny along so that others arent left waiting either. Im like Deimos, in that i go as fast as i can if the game allows, trying to kill it off quickly. But yeah, that wait can be annoying for sure.
    cidercoder wrote: »
    COOLOCKER wrote: »
    lol, I was thinking that as well mate :wink:

That was hilarious. :D I read that and laughed, then I realized it is true for me at times. I try my best not to snooker myself, but it happens :*