Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

9ball without "call pocket" is NOT a game of skill

Nanny OggNanny Ogg Growing Old DisgracefullyPosts: 10,170 Pool Forum Veteran
I can't speak for the real game but MC's version without calling the pocket is a game of luck not skill.

90% of the players I come across simply bang the balls with no regard for positioning whatsoever, and 90% of the time something goes in a random pocket.

Where's the skill in that ?

It's beyond frustrating LOL

Comments

• christhecueballchristhecueball Posts: 290 Pool Pro
    ofc, thats what im praying from the start..... call pockets, no combos on the 9 and no golden break and you have a game of skill!
  • JJoeJJoe Posts: 534 Pool Expert
    Lol I agree. Almost every player in Miami tier tries to combo the 9 as soon as they can, even if it's just the wrong shot, too. And sometimes they'll fluke something in the process
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,040 Pool Expert
    ofc, thats what im praying from the start..... call pockets, no combos on the 9 and no golden break and you have a game of skill!

No combos on the 9?? Why would you say that requires no skill? It’s possibly the most skillful part of the game if a player goes for it.
  • -Alyna-Alyna Posts: 467 Pool Pro
    Combos on the 9 are ok for me, despite never trying them, and you can play that way in Dallas, where you must always call pockets. The golden breaks are a bit annoying, but it's not likely every player will make a golden break
    edited February 3
    -Alyna wrote: »
    Combos on the 9 are ok for me, despite never trying them, and you can play that way in Dallas, where you must always call pockets. The golden breaks are a bit annoying, but it's not likely every player will make a golden break

sure, combos are ok when used the right way, but when its only used to get lucky its just embarrassing.......and since many do it im all for 9b last on the table!

sure, combos are ok when used the right way, but when its only used to get lucky its just embarrassing.......and since many do it im all for 9b last on the table!

You mean you hate the annoying long, useless and impossible combos, like this one:
    xkqly2khu81k.bmp
    edited February 3

You mean you hate the annoying long, useless and impossible combos, like this one:
    xkqly2khu81k.bmp

ofc not, thats a beautiful way to win it...... but how many are able to pull that off?
    buuut, what happens when you miss it and the white crawls behind the 3? then you lose a game, which is already in your pocket........so, i would never go for it.......risk is not worth the reward!
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,040 Pool Expert
    edited February 3

xkqly2khu81k.bmp

ofc not, thats a beautiful way to win it...... but how many are able to pull that off?
    buuut, what happens when you miss it and the white crawls behind the 3? then you lose a game, which is already in your pocket........so, i would never go for it.......risk is not worth the reward!

Skillful players can that’s who which is why I questioned your first statement.

xkqly2khu81k.bmp

buuut, what happens when you miss it and the white crawls behind the 3? then you lose a game
    There is less than 5% chance of that happening. And my win % is 78.2%, not a big deal. Yet I didn't try that shot because the table was pretty easy so I just potted every ball

xkqly2khu81k.bmp

buuut, what happens when you miss it and the white crawls behind the 3? then you lose a game
    There is less than 5% chance of that happening. And my win % is 78.2%, not a big deal. Yet I didn't try that shot because the table was pretty easy so I just potted every ball

yeah with that open table the 9 is no option, even when theres only a 5% chance to happen to go wrong.....thats what i mean using it the right way, when you have a messed table im all for it, but without potting the 1 when possible lol
    I've played 9 ball into 8 ball in the old PC version and it's imo a better style, despite being slow. You can't really win games with only ''luck''
    I've played 9 ball into 8 ball in the old PC version and it's imo a better style, despite being slow. You can't really win games with only ''luck''

Oh, like rotation? That does sound good
    joe. wrote: »

You must pot 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 and the 8 or 9-10-11-12-13-14-15 and the 8. If you hit a wrong ball, it's a fault and you must pot the cue ball. They're the basic rules, there's a post on this Forum explaining other things such as the ''push out rule''

You must pot 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 and the 8 or 9-10-11-12-13-14-15 and the 8. If you hit a wrong ball, it's a fault and you must pot the cue ball. They're the basic rules, there's a post on this Forum explaining other things such as the ''push out rule''

I'd be up for a few games of that another day, nice

jep, slow games are generally better imo........i even prefer one pocket, thats the real skilltest!

jep, slow games are generally better imo........i even prefer one pocket, thats the real skilltest!

May be the toughest game, I've played it only once. I've also played an only middle pockets game which was hard as well

straight pool is something I so wish I played, that's my style lol

May be the toughest game, I've played it only once. I've also played an only middle pockets game which was hard as well

lol never played middle pockets, sounds torturing lol
    we played bottom pockets for a while, then switched to top pockets, its a bit faster......

heres one at bottoms (have no top pocket vid unfortunatly)

straight pool is something I so wish I played, that's my style lol

yeah straight pool would be fun, but lets face it, this game is way too easy for it lol you would need to play to 250 or so for it to make sense lol
    Very good gameplay from you both @christhecueball @Unleash The Fury
    There were more snookers than potted balls :|
    Very good gameplay from you both @christhecueball @Unleash The Fury
    There were more snookers than potted balls :|

thx.....yeah lol its a very defensive game, prolly thats why i like it that much..... :D
    the only bad thing is, there are no oppos to play it lol