Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

9ball without "call pocket" is NOT a game of skill

Comments

• Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,011 Pool Expert
    edited February 5
    @whalersailor I think I’m the only person who’s mentioned the word ‘beginner’ I was making reference to the low tiers where beginners have to start but also where the hit n hopers hang out because those tables aren’t ‘call all pockets’.

I was actually saying those tables have their place and shouldn’t be changed
  • -Alyna-Alyna Posts: 460 Pool Pro
    Any Moderator here? Can't you people just put Nanny behind the desk so, she can launch a new version of 8 ball? lol @Nanny Ogg

And it'll be better than new PC version
  • Aliyan ChaudharyAliyan Chaudhary Posts: 109 Pool Player
    -Alyna wrote: »
    Any Moderator here? Can't you people just put Nanny behind the desk so, she can launch a new version of 8 ball? lol @Nanny Ogg

And it'll be better than new PC version

That Beta version? Played once and for the last. Sucks big time.
  • G11gamingG11gaming Mr lover, lover. :)Posts: 3,761 Pool Champion
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    @Carlos Tales
    You're not sure what the problem is here because there is no problem here, we're just having a discussion LOL

@whalersailor
    Thanks, as Julius Caesar might have said... Veni, Vidi, et Farcit... "I came, I saw, I Ranted !"

@ZX 10 R and @The Scobester and @others
    Although I said I would like to see "call all pockets" on all tables my main gripe is with 9ball.
    I play Dallas to avoid the hit'n'hopers now, and on 8ball they are more than welcome to bang away all they like since we all know that is always going to be to our advantage.
    But on 9ball every fluke brings them closer to a situation where the 9ball is easier to combo-pot or they actually accidentally pot the 9ball itself. So playing well isn't always enough to win and your opponents lack of accuracy doesn't always matter if he/she is going to fluke the 9ball in.
    Even without call all pockets the game would be better if the 9ball had to be the last ball potted, with no combos allowed.

The problem is with all the falling out this has caused making someone feel he is doing something wrong because he likes bashing balls around and being laughed at.

I’m just adding to the discussion that’s all ;)

By the sounds of it some would like to see call all pockets on all tables so prevent the hit n hopers. Im just saying I think that’s a terrible idea for all those beginner skiers out there. Oops I mean pool players.

OK, I get that, but the problem with that is if everyone is too scared to voice an opinion in case it might offend someone then we might as well close the forum down because there would never be any discussions LOL
    Plus I will never accept the politically correct social justice warriors claim that people have some sort of right to not be offended. I'm an opinionated old baggage, always was, always will be LOL

But some opinions of yours come across as a put down on others, do you not see that? LOL?
  • odlllboodlllbo Posts: 120 Pool Pro
    -Alyna wrote: »
    Now a lot of people will say you can also bet 10M in Dallas where you must call pocket on every shot, but have you really tried to bet 10M coins in Dallas from the mobile version? You'll probably play for 2500 coins because nobody is betting 10M, while in Miami, you'll either play for 10M or 2.5M
    This was the reason I didn't play Dallas as often as I'd like but it seems MC has fixed this issue and for the past week or so I've got a 10M game almost every time when I bet 10M. You may have to wait an extra 5 or 10 seconds sometimes to find a player but that's fine with me :).

Agree about Istanbul too. I actually like playing the ngl tables sometimes cause it's more of a challenge and long shots or tough cuts in the side aren't gimmies like on the gl tables. But like u say if a player can just smash away at a cluster and make a random ball more often than not, it takes away a bit of the fun imo.
    It's nice to see that the majority of posters agree with the original preposition :)

I would be interested to see if anyone agrees that the whole MC Pool experience would be dramatically improved if they were to make it mandatory to call all pockets on EVERY game, and get rid of flukes forever LOL

AAAAH - GREED !!!

:D

If you think this old curmudgeon is too scared to voice an opinion, think again. And if I am offended (not likely) you can be assured that I will retaliate in kind, and then some. In this instance the purists, while espousing standards that far exceed the international rules of the game, are wanting to make changes that would take away most of the pleasure I get from playing the game. SO of course I am going to oppose any thought of such changes being implemented. Beginner on this website yes, but over 70 years experience at 9 ball.

I agree with you that players should be able to play the style they like which is why having the option of both call pocket tables and no call tables seems like the way to go.

In real life 9 ball it's not call pocket, like u say, but u don't often see players smashing away full speed at clusters. I guess the main reason is cuz the cue ball would fly off the table half the time :D. Of course on the barbox table at the local pub I'm sure the bartender wouldn't mind too much but if Eddie Felson tried that at Ames Billiards he'd be out on his **** before the balls stopped rolling :p .

And cheers to being a 9ball player for 70 years! I hope im able to say that one day :)
  • Nanny OggNanny Ogg Growing Old DisgracefullyPosts: 10,146 Pool Forum Veteran
    edited February 6

If you think this old curmudgeon is too scared to voice an opinion, think again. And if I am offended (not likely) you can be assured that I will retaliate in kind, and then some. In this instance the purists, while espousing standards that far exceed the international rules of the game, are wanting to make changes that would take away most of the pleasure I get from playing the game. SO of course I am going to oppose any thought of such changes being implemented. Beginner on this website yes, but over 70 years experience at 9 ball.

If you think I meant you were too scared to voice an opinion then I suggest you go back to school and relearn how to understand plain and simple English.

If you think any of my opinions are going to be taken seriously by Miniclip and there is an actual danger of anything I've said actually being implemented then I suggest you are giving me far too much credit for having any influence whatsoever in this arena... I have none.
    I have made a discussion that people have found interesting enough to want to comment on, you should try doing the same without taking things personally.
    Are you really not offended ? Your responses would seem to indicate that you are.

If you think that being old and curmudgeonly gives you a free pass think again, other people may be falling over themselves to fawn all over you just because you have managed to dodge the grim reaper for longer than most but I am also old and curmudgeonly and I don't think it's any kind of "achievement" and I certainly don't think it warrants a round of applause and backslapping.
    Post edited by Nanny Ogg on
    edited February 6
    G11gaming wrote: »
    @Carlos Tales
    You're not sure what the problem is here because there is no problem here, we're just having a discussion LOL

@whalersailor
    Thanks, as Julius Caesar might have said... Veni, Vidi, et Farcit... "I came, I saw, I Ranted !"

@ZX 10 R and @The Scobester and @others
    Although I said I would like to see "call all pockets" on all tables my main gripe is with 9ball.
    I play Dallas to avoid the hit'n'hopers now, and on 8ball they are more than welcome to bang away all they like since we all know that is always going to be to our advantage.
    But on 9ball every fluke brings them closer to a situation where the 9ball is easier to combo-pot or they actually accidentally pot the 9ball itself. So playing well isn't always enough to win and your opponents lack of accuracy doesn't always matter if he/she is going to fluke the 9ball in.
    Even without call all pockets the game would be better if the 9ball had to be the last ball potted, with no combos allowed.

The problem is with all the falling out this has caused making someone feel he is doing something wrong because he likes bashing balls around and being laughed at.

I’m just adding to the discussion that’s all ;)

By the sounds of it some would like to see call all pockets on all tables so prevent the hit n hopers. Im just saying I think that’s a terrible idea for all those beginner skiers out there. Oops I mean pool players.

OK, I get that, but the problem with that is if everyone is too scared to voice an opinion in case it might offend someone then we might as well close the forum down because there would never be any discussions LOL
    Plus I will never accept the politically correct social justice warriors claim that people have some sort of right to not be offended. I'm an opinionated old baggage, always was, always will be LOL

But some opinions of yours come across as a put down on others, do you not see that? LOL?

And my response to that is if you're offended then come back at me, after all you did.
    Free speech and all that, right ?
    And my secondary response to that is... tough, deal with it.
    edited February 6
    Here is a point I made in a different forum back in April 2016, which seems to be quite salient at this moment...

Why do we always talk about "rewarding" people for the happy accident of avoiding the grim reaper for 7 or 8 decades ?
    What is it that makes people think that being old is some sort of heroic achievement ?
    When someone gets up on stage at BGT or AGT and says "My name is whatever and I am 80 years old" why on earth does that warrant a round of applause ?
    Some doddering 90 year old can just about still use a fork and people condescendingly coo "Isn't she wonderful/amazing ?"

Age is just a number, nothing more.
    edited February 6

LOL Aliyan, can you really see me behind a desk ?

Apart from the fact that I would end up chasing the rest of the staff around it whilst waving my broomstick, I think they ( and some others here ) would rather see me 6 feet under LOL
    uikyp6hwgu9n.jpg
    If you think that being old and curmudgeonly gives you a free pass think again, other people may be falling over themselves to fawn all over you just because you have managed to dodge the grim reaper for longer than most but I am also old and curmudgeonly and I don't think it's any kind of "achievement" and I certainly don't think it warrants a round of applause and backslapping.
    Haha yea age is certainly no help for a weak argument but if someone presents their back for slapping surely it'd be rude not to give it a whack :p But of course you're right that age is just a number. Seems to be an age obsessed culture we live in and I always find it funny when "journalists" include the age of everyone they mention in an article when it's got nothing to do with anything.
    'The neighbor Joe Blow, 49, didn't witness anything but heard a loud noise at the time of the incident'.

Another cringy one is saying congrats on being xx years young. One of my favorite Joan Rivers lines was when she was talking about being introduced this way by Vanessa Feltz:
    "Here's Joan, 78 years young"...
    "And here's Vanessa, 350 pounds thin" :D
    odlllbo wrote: »

Another cringy one is saying congrats on being xx years young. One of my favorite Joan Rivers lines was when she was talking about being introduced this way by Vanessa Feltz:

Haha I love that Joan Rivers quote !
    What a shame there's no youtube clip so I could watch it ( and yes I have already looked :D ) LOL
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,011 Pool Expert
    edited February 6

If you think I meant you were too scared to voice an opinion then I suggest you go back to school and relearn how to understand plain and simple English.

If you think any of my opinions are going to be taken seriously by Miniclip and there is an actual danger of anything I've said actually being implemented then I suggest you are giving me far too much credit for having any influence whatsoever in this arena... I have none.
    I have made a discussion that people have found interesting enough to want to comment on, you should try doing the same without taking things personally.
    Are you really not offended ? Your responses would seem to indicate that you are.

I honestly believe we may have our first Miniclip Pool forum wedding on the cards here <3 and I'm so excited at the prospect of meeting you all.

May I suggest having the wedding in London (Just because it's the cheapest place! According to MC that is LOL

It would be a pleasure to meet you all at such a fantastic even. Real Life Pool tables would need to be included at the after party of course, @christhecueball I will look forward to whipping your @ss IRL as much as I've done on this forum :D :D ;)

What a shame there's no youtube clip so I could watch it ( and yes I have already looked :D ) LOL

Well it's your lucky day :) it's from this Graham Norton appearance about a minute in.

Well it's your lucky day :) it's from this Graham Norton appearance about a minute in.

Woohooo thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu LOL

I honestly believe we may have our first Miniclip Pool forum wedding on the cards here <3 and I'm so excited at the prospect of meeting you all.

May I suggest having the wedding in London (Just because it's the cheapest place! According to MC that is LOL

It would be a pleasure to meet you all at such a fantastic even. Real Life Pool tables would need to be included at the after party of course, @christhecueball I will look forward to whipping your @ss IRL as much as I've done on this forum :D :D ;)

Hahaha forum wedding, forum schmedding LOL Once was more than enough thank you very much ( although I might be up for a dirty weekend in Bognor, depending on whether the old fart still has what it takes :D ) LOL
  • Davy DacueDavy Dacue Qui Audet Adipiscitur.Posts: 2,122 Pool Champion
    edited February 6
    @Nanny Ogg
    Apart from the fact that I would end up chasing the rest of the staff around it whilst waving my broomstick, I think they ( and some others here ) would rather see me 6 feet under LOL

Would they dig that deep just to get rid of a little pile of ash ,of course it would be closer to he!! :D
    a6q1rjq22as8.gif

We all , well maybe not quite all would miss you :'(
    Davy Dacue wrote: »
    @Nanny Ogg

Would they dig that deep just to get rid of a little pile of ash ,of course it would be closer to he!! :D
    a6q1rjq22as8.gif

We all , well maybe not quite all would miss you :'(

LOL !

n0r6500mdd9a.gif

Who ? Moi ? Was it something I said ?
    5ri8wq1ut6lt.gif
  • whalersailorwhalersailor Posts: 53 Pool Player
    Who would have thought it, a small pocket of ageism hiding in a pool hall.
    Although it's a little past the holiday season, would all of you ageists please take note of the mistletoe hanging from my back center belt loop.
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Looking Good.Posts: 3,077 Pool Champion

Hahaha forum wedding, forum schmedding LOL Once was more than enough thank you very much ( although I might be up for a dirty weekend in Bognor, depending on whether the old fart still has what it takes :D ) LOL

lol. Congrats on the new forum status Nan. BTW, can we watch?