Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
If you are not currently able to login via Facebook login, please right click on the Facebook icon and choose the option to "open in a new tab". Thank you for understanding
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Moving On Up?

RollYour RockRollYour Rock Posts: 259 Pool Pro
Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations regarding when to consider taking-on higher-tier tables?

I understand that everyone's comfort level will very. - Basically talking about available coinage to sustain solvency against ever-increasing skill levels.

Will I be able to continue competing successfully with just a Beginners Cue beyond Tokyo? - I enjoy this challenge as long as I have a reasonable chance of winning.

Comments

• UnEquiVocaL EnDUnEquiVocaL EnD Posts: 533 Pool Expert
    edited February 20
    I don't know your coin balance but you have 109 200 total winnings 49 wins from 54 games.
    I'd just be careful you can afford to lose a few games without worrying about your coins.
    Vegas is 10,000 entry and it would be wise to have at least 10 times the entry fee in the bank to cover a bad patch although at present your stats look fine.
    You'll be fine with beginner cue until the latter tiers but the cue isn't what wins you games anyway.
  • RollYour RockRollYour Rock Posts: 259 Pool Pro
    Thanks for your reply...
    Coin balance is currently 48 925
    Only played just two games in Vegas going 1/1
    Does everyone get a little edgy when "moving up"? - I do! lol
    It's silly! - But I guess people worry about having to start all over again. :'(
  • UnEquiVocaL EnDUnEquiVocaL EnD Posts: 533 Pool Expert
    Well your taking a risk with 48k if you get edgy lol. Lose a couple of games and you'll start to worry even more with only 28k left.
    What's the rush anyway?
    Build your cash so your a bit more comfortable then move up to the next tier.
    To be honest once you get to the million coin tables don't worry about other players levels just play your game. The standard does not improve as you go higher in tiers after Dubai really.
    Thanks again! - Cheers! :)
  • G11gamingG11gaming Rock out :BPosts: 4,555 Pool Champion
    - But I guess people worry about having to start all over again. :'(

Definitely i just hung about in the lowest tiers only going as far as Tokyo lol for the first couple of years. Only now have i just started to venture into the higher tiers, but when that unlucky streak hits i see my coin balance drop at an alarming rate then i take a break and go back at it, but as stated always keep a few thousand in the bank. :D
  • LifeEternalLifeEternal Posts: 517 Pool Expert
    Thanks for your reply...
    Coin balance is currently 48 925
    Only played just two games in Vegas going 1/1
    Does everyone get a little edgy when "moving up"? - I do! lol
    It's silly! - But I guess people worry about having to start all over again. :'(

Forget high tiers.Stay old version(the best choise) ,for example Moscow(for eyes) and play sometimes no guideline (beijing) for fun.High tiers really not funny,trust me.Billioner players need delibrate fouls for more win,for high win percentage!Buy table frames,clots etc.if boring default tables.If need coins (millions-for any standard cues) play new version beta Monaco.Many time 2-4 coins transfer players find possible,all time.Your choise.
    @LifeEternal, I'm a bit confused. - Are you relaying suggestions for a PC player?

I play on a mobile platform.

I haven't tried the PC/Mac version of the game.

Maybe I should? - Have you played both?

Thanks!

• Deimos666Deimos666 Mobile / AndroidPosts: 590 Pool Expert
    edited February 21
    I only play tiers I can lose comfortably. Although, I would test the waters occasionally, meaning if I had 50,000 coins, I would play in Las Vegas and hope I got the break and could clear the table. If I lost a couple times, no big deal, I'd go back to low games, if I won, I give it another go.

Beginner cue is fine if you are use to it in any tier, although is a bit limiting, and the shot clock moves MUCH faster when you get to high tiers (on mobile at least). Assuming you can get the cue ball where you want it with virtually no spin or power, you can win, even in high tiers. I often enjoy using the beginner cue as well.

I suspect you'll have about the same win % in say Vegas and Jakarta, as you do in Tokyo, you just need more coins to play in those tiers comfortably is all.

Don't be afraid to swap to a Standard cue or similar to help you build up your coin balance, then go back to beginner once you have lots of extra coins!

I too would get a little edgy moving up, but once I got enough coins, I don't worry at all now. Seems like it took forever to build up the coin balance. :D
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Secluder.Posts: 3,801 Pool Champion
    edited February 21
    Looks like your in your infancy playing the game, with only 54 games played (if thats correct?). So i wouldnt be in a hurry to get to the top just yet. Seems your itching to get right up there, but you also understand the risks, lol.

There is no rush to do it, and if your only that many games into playing for the first time, then there really is no rush. Chances are you are good at the game with those early stats, but you probably have come up against a lot of new players also. I also took my time to go into some higher tiers, but i dont play them exclusively either.

One thing i normally do when trying to play higher tiers is to make sure that i have enough coins to fall back on in case of a loss, as mentioned above. But if i was to enter a higher tier and won, i wouldnt go straight into another one. Chances are you would be caught out, and back to square one again. I would enter one, and if i won, i would drop back down again, while still trying to build up more coins in the lower tiers. If i won a 10k game, i would drop down, win more, and then try the 10k again later. Gradually building it up that way.

That way, i have built up some winnings from a higher tier win and didnt risk losing it by going for the throat, so to speak. Also, as you progress in the game, you will come across many higher skilled players. My advice is to observe them closely, and take on board how they play. When you feel you can put it up to those players, then you might just be ready for those higher tiers. Good luck.
  • ObelObel Posts: 78 Pool Player
    Take a risk and play in Monaco
  • VijayGunnersVijayGunners Posts: 885 Pool Expert
    Obel wrote: »

I wouldnt do this if I had a low amount of coins lol

Don’t risk a big table unless you have enough coins to recover if you lose, keep playing a lower tier if you have to win more coins to be able to risk a bigger table. I personally never played a table unless I had at least 3-4 times the amount of coins.
    Not sure if you’re still using a beginner cue but I’d definitely upgrade that to something better.
  • Nanny OggNanny Ogg Growing Old DisgracefullyPosts: 10,889 Pool Forum Veteran
    edited February 21
    Actually Monaco is a good risk when you only have a small amount of coins, since there is a reasonably high possibility that you will come up against an opponent who prefers to play for millions and can't be bothered playing for a few thousand. In which case he/she will simply leave the game and double your money with no effort on your part.

Obviously the risk is there that they may decide to play and take your money which is why I would recommend that if you decide to try it then only do it once. If you win or are given the win then be happy with that and go back to playing lower tiers, if you lose the lot then it's a lot easier to come back from a loss of a few thousand than it is from a few million LOL

I took my little alt into Monaco yesterday and turned 70k into 140k without even taking a single shot LOL

Edited for the sake of numerical accuracy LOL
    Post edited by Nanny Ogg on
    edited February 21
    Ooh Talha you tightwad ! hahahaha you have billions and you would take some poor noobs 50k ?
    shame on you hahahahaha :D :D :D
    edited February 21
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    Ooh Talha you tightwad ! hahahaha you have billions and you would take some poor noobs 50k ?

I need the ring :( so I aint got other chance....
    And yeah, I'd rather have millions irl than zillions in pool :D

ON TOPIC:

you'd need not to get flustered while playing a higher table. Believe me, nerves play a vital role in making you lose.....

Easier said than done tbh, if your account is your only account then for me it wouldn't be worth the stress LOL I'd use my alts for higher tiers because I wouldn't give a toss if I lost everything on them. I have played my first ever 500k games on one of my alts recently and didn't care if I lost, although I won both times which was a nice bonus LOL
    I would never risk that on my main LOL
  • VijayGunnersVijayGunners Posts: 885 Pool Expert
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »

ON TOPIC:

you'd need not to get flustered while playing a higher table. Believe me, nerves play a vital role in making you lose.....

This is definitely me :s

The only reason I’ve ever played Monaco was just to get the ring, at the point of playing I had enough money where if I lost it didn’t matter even when I came up against the max amount (20m).

By slowly playing up the tiers I went from 50m > 1m (chose high table by accident) and now it’s 5.8b
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. - Much good advice here! :)
  • JJoeJJoe OLD PC/MOBILE Posts: 958 Pool Expert
    edited February 21
    My way of building coins is:

If you have, say, 30,000 coins - play Tokyo until you have won 10K from the original starting amount, then with that 10K you have won, play Vegas. If you win, play Vegas again, and so forth, as long as you are not risking a loss of the amount you started with, it's a risk free game imo. If you lose, repeat the process until you win.

Eventually Vegas will replace Tokyo as the base room, and Jakarta will replace Vegas.

Also, as for cue. I find spin to be very important, so a beginners cue would really hinder you in many games. Limits how you can take the balls, what order, etc. I play with a high tier cue for some odd reason (doesn't really help me), but a standard cue or higher suffices - so a 3/3/3/3 cue ish
    I am a Windows 10 user.I don't have a smart phone.No idea for mobile game,maybe very funny.But i read forum user posts and watch pool 8 videos. Forum users say: old version physics better than mobile or new version.Money Clip(and many idiot players) kill the game,kill the fun.Business model very bad.Game control parameters kill the fun.For example:screen changed.If trust me,read my reply,again and again..Play for fun,good luck.
    Obel wrote: »

No.Fair and the best tier.
    I am a Windows 10 user.I don't have a smart phone.No idea for mobile game,maybe very funny.But i read forum user posts and watch pool 8 videos. Forum users say: old version physics better than mobile or new version.Money Clip(and many idiot players) kill the game,kill the fun.Business model very bad.Game control parameters kill the fun.For example:screen changed.If trust me,read my reply,again and again..Play for fun,good luck.

@LifeEternal, I like the way you think - Cheers! :)