Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
If you are not currently able to login via Facebook login, please right click on the Facebook icon and choose the option to "open in a new tab". Thank you for understanding
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

9-ball tournament (Mobile)

Comments

• Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 3 New Member
    Carl, you've overlooked a cue ball billiard (deflection) off the lowest numbered ball into the 9-ball.

Not a particularly rare scenario where potting both balls would be a realistic possibility.

BTW, please consider me for your 9-Ball Tournament. :)

That’s my example 2. And all Im saying is it’s rare and never needed to pot both balls. All accept a follow through in example 1 and only if the deflect path in example 2 takes the lowest numbered ball in to a pocket. But you wouldn’t risk that, all you’d be aiming for is a precise hit on the 9 ball to pot that ball in the nominated pocket.

Huh... Carl, me thinks you left out a key word in your #2 example, but that's beside the fact...

This begs the question... why the need for call-shot 9 ball in the first place?

I like a good debate so please excuse me for not understanding your point? Firstly what key word did I miss out in my Example 2? Secondly please explain what you mean in you last sentence? The need to call pocket is to legally pot a ball whether that's the 9 ball or even 1 through to 8 in that nominated pocket as we all know. As long as the lowest numbered ball is hit first the nominated pocket is the one when at least one ball will pot.

I stand by my opinion that in most cases when attempting to pot the 9 ball early it's the only ball a player will be focusing on potting. At least it would be in both my examples. They would not care where the lowest number ball ends up
    Oops didn't realize my forum login has used my alt FB account for log-in (Sorry moderators)
    I'm unable to edit as i'm a Noob LOL, Yes ok I can see i missed out a key word. My example 2 should of said to deflect the CB off the object ball to hit the 9 ball
  • RollYour RockRollYour Rock Posts: 259 Pool Pro
    Please explain what you mean in you last sentence? The need to call pocket is to legally pot a ball whether that's the 9 ball or even 1 through to 8 in that nominated pocket as we all know. As long as the lowest numbered ball is hit first the nominated pocket is the one when at least one ball will pot.

I stand by my opinion that in most cases when attempting to pot the 9 ball early it's the only ball a player will be focusing on potting. At least it would be in both my examples. They would not care where the lowest number ball ends up

Carl, why would the 9-ball be your sole focus when it's a much lower-expectation shot compared to the lowest numbered ball? - Example: The lowest numbered ball is a mortal cinch, but the 9-ball is maybe 50/50 at best, but still worth going after, considering the lay of table.

BTW, IRL, I've never played a 9-ball game, match or tournament with a "call shot" rule.
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,477 Pool Champion
    edited April 3
    Please explain what you mean in you last sentence? The need to call pocket is to legally pot a ball whether that's the 9 ball or even 1 through to 8 in that nominated pocket as we all know. As long as the lowest numbered ball is hit first the nominated pocket is the one when at least one ball will pot.

Carl, why would the 9-ball be your sole focus when it's a much lower-expectation shot compared to the lowest numbered ball? - Example: The lowest numbered ball is a mortal cinch, but the 9-ball is maybe 50/50 at best, but still worth going after, considering the lay of table.

BTW, IRL, I've never played a 9-ball game, match or tournament with a "call shot" rule.

The whole point of this discussion was when OP asked which pocket to nominate when attempting to pot the nine ball early.

There is a nine ball tier where you need to call all pockets.
    And so I responded to the OP saying when you attempt to pot the nine ball early then your not usually worried where the lowest number ball goes so it’s obvious which pocket you would nominate. Anyway the thread is there for all to read. I’m obvioudly not being understood. :)

I stand by my opinion and my 2 examples.
    LOL... we need a ruling over here! :D

Cheers my friend! :)
    LOL... we need a ruling over here! :D

Cheers my friend! :)

Ok so is your view when attempting to pot the nine ball early would you also be potting the lowest numbered ball. I said maybe 1 in 10 shots you would but rarely your focus and I gave my 2 examples.
    I got your examples right here! - Use your imagination... :o

All jesting aside, 9-ball was never intended as a call shot game.

But I also have to admit "call shot" Miniclip 9-ball is probably understandable, given the ridiculously high powered batons that are made available.

I can play either way and still have fun... :)

Let the games begin...

• Nineballina GeNineballina Ge Posts: 596 Pool Expert
    in, if this is still open?
  • Tálhá SájjádTálhá Sájjád UnknownsvillePosts: 672 Pool Expert
    7 people agreed to play, the tournament shall start as soon as we get the 8th participant :#
    *Aurora* wrote: »
    Oops didn't realize my forum login has used my alt FB account for log-in (Sorry moderators)

Do not apologize. You look very handsome on this profile too. B) o:)

Lol. Aww thanks. Hiding behind sunglasses helps. :joy:
  • sizzzlersizzzler Posts: 47 Pool Player
    sizzzler wrote: »
    prolly cant play this week, depends on format, but maybe next one.

q: if you're sinking the 9 early, do you call pocket for the 9 or for the lowball?

You wouldn’t usually be trying to pot both balls?

of course - why not?

ok, so you want to play balls in order? and only one at a time allowed?

That’s not what I said if you care to read my post properly. If your going for the 9 ball early you won’t be aiming your shot usually to pot both balls so the nominated pocket will be where you expect the 9 ball to land. Unless you are going for both balls and if one is more risky than the other then you pick the less risky pocket. I wasn’t tying to be funny I was just saying usually attempting to pot the 9 ball early you’ll be potting just the 9 ball by way of cannon or another billiard type shot.

Best shot is to sink both, obviously.

So q still not answered: if you are sinking both, which one do you call pocket on?

Q was answered and I dont agree with you and certainly not obvious both balls will be potted. Maybe less than 1in 10 attempts would both balls be deliberately potted. . By attempting to pot the 9 early 100% of the focus is doing just that and one would never usually worry about potting the other ball so it’s obvious the pocket you nominate is the one that the 9 ball will be sunk unless as I mentioned earlier that you are attempting the 1 in 10 shot and the 9 ball pot is only a half chance whereas the other is more or less guaranteed.

So let’s look at ways of potting the 9 ball early. Example 1. Hitting the next numbered ball on to the 9 ball. (Not likely you would be potting both balls)

Example 2. Aiming object ball at precise angle as to deflect in to the the 9 ball to pot in to the nominated pocket. (Again no reason to be trying to pot both balls here )

Please share with me what other examples you have where you attempt to pot 9 ball early and why both balls being potted is so important to you?

I can sink both balls in one shot. One will sink before the other. I can put both down exactly together but I am making this simpler for you).

Which one do I call pocket on?

q: if you're sinking the 9 early, do you call pocket for the 9 or for the lowball?

of course - why not?

That’s not what I said if you care to read my post properly. If your going for the 9 ball early you won’t be aiming your shot usually to pot both balls so the nominated pocket will be where you expect the 9 ball to land. Unless you are going for both balls and if one is more risky than the other then you pick the less risky pocket. I wasn’t tying to be funny I was just saying usually attempting to pot the 9 ball early you’ll be potting just the 9 ball by way of cannon or another billiard type shot.

Best shot is to sink both, obviously.

So q still not answered: if you are sinking both, which one do you call pocket on?

Q was answered and I dont agree with you and certainly not obvious both balls will be potted. Maybe less than 1in 10 attempts would both balls be deliberately potted. . By attempting to pot the 9 early 100% of the focus is doing just that and one would never usually worry about potting the other ball so it’s obvious the pocket you nominate is the one that the 9 ball will be sunk unless as I mentioned earlier that you are attempting the 1 in 10 shot and the 9 ball pot is only a half chance whereas the other is more or less guaranteed.

So let’s look at ways of potting the 9 ball early. Example 1. Hitting the next numbered ball on to the 9 ball. (Not likely you would be potting both balls)

Example 2. Aiming object ball at precise angle as to deflect in to the the 9 ball to pot in to the nominated pocket. (Again no reason to be trying to pot both balls here )

Please share with me what other examples you have where you attempt to pot 9 ball early and why both balls being potted is so important to you?

I can sink both balls in one shot. One will sink before the other. I can put both down exactly together but I am making this simpler for you).

Which one do I call pocket on?

You obviously can’t read. I’ve said numerous times which pocket I would call. The very fact you keep asking a question that’s been answered shows how simple you are.

If you so frequently pot both balls then it shouldn’t be too difficult for you to have found the answer for yourself by now. Maybe it’s when you attempt to pot both balls in the same pocket that’s confusing you? I would def call the pocket the 9 ball is being aimed at in this circumstance :D .

of course - why not?

@sizzzler I’ll make it simpler for you. This was where I attempted to answer your question with my opinion over a week ago. The fact remains if your attempting to pot the 9 early you won’t normally be concentrating on potting the lowest numberd ball. I have never said both balls would never drop. On occasion they might but my opinion above covers this.
    I am not looking for opinions, I just want to know which ball to call pocket on in this tourney.

Are you saying I can call either one, doesn't matter? Please give clear answer, thank you.
    If you're potting two balls in one shot then you can call a pocket for either. I'll record it to make it clear later in the day.
    If you're potting two balls in one shot then you can call a pocket for either. I'll record it to make it clear later in the day.

Exactly what I put 45 posts ago :) Then again yesterday. :/

No need, but thanks for the reply. Very clear.

I would not like to be a dentist :D

No need, but thanks for the reply. Very clear.

I would not like to be a dentist :D

Okay! I wont post it then..