Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
If you are not currently able to login via Facebook login, please right click on the Facebook icon and choose the option to "open in a new tab". Thank you for understanding
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

what would you do?

Nineballina GeNineballina Ge Posts: 593 Pool Expert
I just posted this thread (i thought) and it disappeared, although i tried to edit something on it and i don't know what happened, anyway i'll give it another go

i dont know if you've had a thread like this before, probably but if not i'll start it off

basically a thread where we post, and analyze, some of the more difficult shots, clearances, and situations we find ourselves in

it's a good way to learn and maybe get some debates going, be interesting to hear what players of my level think and what they'd do and also hear the advice and opinions of the super elite players, be interesting to see if everyone has a standard default setting for a lot of the the tough and difficult apots we face or if even at he top levels there's differing of opinions

spot 1) he rolls he brown ball over the packet and leaves us to it, what is out thinking in this spot (other than i could do with him disconnecting lol) how do we turn the situation in the top right to our advantage, and is it even possible, thoughts about how you'd be wanting this one to play out?

03qnwyk3taui.png

2) kinda self explanatory, thoughts?

vf7xp8k8jbs8.png

3) background of opponent might be important in this one, having just done the hundred game challenge played a lot of super bad players where, i mentioned in my write up, you do get 2 or 3 chances a match, so situationaly that might be applicable here but like to hear people's opinions given the player, and then the situation if the opponent was of maybe a half decent standard, ideas?

bzxsen1kfemm.png

Comments

• Tálhá SájjádTálhá Sájjád UnknownsvillePosts: 672 Pool Expert
    There has been a thread with somewhat same title as yours.. The title was "What would you do in this situation", I fancy.

I am just an average player so my opinion wouldn't be as much good as that of other members here.

For the scenario 1, I would clear the cluster near the top left pocket by potting the green by hitting purple in to 8 by applying sufficient force (depending upon the cue being used) to leave an easy clearance.

For scenario 3, I would apply a little bit bottom right spin with 3 bars of force. The cue ball would reach the top left side of the table. From where, the red would be potted in the bottom right pocket with a double bank-shot. The black isn't in a tricky situation, right?

• Nineballina GeNineballina Ge Posts: 593 Pool Expert
    There has been a thread with somewhat same title as yours.. The title was "What would you do in this situation", I fancy.

I am just an average player so my opinion wouldn't be as much good as that of other members here.

For the scenario 1, I would clear the cluster near the top left pocket by potting the green by hitting purple in to 8 by applying sufficient force (depending upon the cue being used) to leave an easy clearance.

For scenario 3, I would apply a little bit bottom right spin with 3 bars of force. The cue ball would reach the top left side of the table. From where, the red would be potted in the bottom right pocket with a double bank-shot. The black isn't in a tricky situation, right?

sorry, i should've made it clear in my post, for situation 1 i could see what was coming and took the picture 1 shot too early, he just rolls the 7 ball over the top left pocket and leaves me the table but the white is left tight on the cushion near the middle, i see what you're saying though and was hoping someone would say that as i spent the next 3 shots trying to get the white back to where it is in that pic to do that shot, i failed :(

i like your thinking for the last situation though, a double bank shot though from that position for me is something wouldnt have even thought about!! i'm levels below even seeing that shot let alone executing it lol
    It is just a possibility...
  • odlllboodlllbo Posts: 440 Pool Pro
    Some interesting spots you've got here :) I like it.

In the first spot if ur close to the bottom middle it seems like you've got to use the 10 to pocket the 14 and break the pack open. I'd hit the 10 into the 8 rail first to send the 8 away from the pocket. From there it just depends on how the balls end up.

In the second spot im interested in how people would play it and if there's a shot in missing. If we're stripes then I like potting their 5 ball. If we're solids then that's a tough one :) I think u can roll the cb into the 5 and try to hide behind the 5 and 8 as a good start.

Third spot is deadly lol I guess id try and break the 3 out by swinging around 2 rails. Or play safe behind the 7 and hope for ball in hand.
    Nice one Talha!
    If ur a good indirect player then this is def the shot.
  • SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 6,412 Pool Forum VIP
    edited March 29
    You confused me a bit with your descriptions and left and right....lol....to me, there are two ways to describe the lay of the table....
    1. Left/right/top/bottom are presumed to be as seen in the image.....so names of players are at top....This is the way most people on here describe it...
    2. Using the way tables are described in real life....the head string crosses the table at the bottom end (so the left side of image as seen is the bottom cushion), the top of the table is the right side as seen in the images, the left rail is at top of screen and right rail is at bottom.... :*

With that aside.....and as a devotee of Indirect style, here is the way I would play each of them (and all shots are made using my USA cue [FAST of 5/5/5/4]):

Situation 1 - I put the 7 in front of pocket and the cue ball where I believe you clarified he put them on his shot.....as such, the black line is path of cue ball on my first shot on the 11 ball, with green line being path of the 11 and black shows path of cue ball with spin as shown and 2/5th power with my USA (or any country cue)....the blue line is second shot with 1/4 power and spin as shown....this will drive the 12 into the 8 ball, pinching and transferring most of it's momentum to the 4 ball, pocketing the 14, moving the 4 ball down lower away from the pocket than the 8 pocket and leaving the 12 and cue ball tight on rail with the 8 dropping slightly for the 12 to get by....this will leave the rest of table for an easy clean-up and win..... ;)
    ZMsBu9N.png

Situation 2 - This is how I would play it....black line is path of cue ball with high right spin as shown and 2/3rds power.......this will kick the cue ball off the bottom rail and knock in the 5....the high right spin will add forward momentum and will also increase the deflection angle off of both subsequent rails making the hit on the 9 ball and dropping the 4 a good possibility....but at worst, clear it from the 9 and rail for a good follow shot......easy clean up and win.... ;)

I4dT7h4.png

Situation 3 - This is how I would play it....
    First shot is yellow line to the 3 ball at 3/8ths power and no spin....causing the 3 to carom off the 10 ball into top right corner as shown with green line....leaving the cue ball in position shown for the shot on the 7 ball bank to bottom left, shown in purple the blue line shows path of cue ball at 3/5ths power and spin as shown....the deflection will break the 8 ball away from other balls for easy clean up and win..... ;)

7L65CQG.png

That is just the way I would try in any given game....but of course, I am addicted to playing Indirect style at all times.... ;) :* :)

X5lbOom.gif
    Post edited by Sunidhifan on
  • christhecueballchristhecueball Posts: 468 Pool Pro
    I just posted this thread (i thought) and it disappeared, although i tried to edit something on it and i don't know what happened, anyway i'll give it another go

i dont know if you've had a thread like this before, probably but if not i'll start it off

basically a thread where we post, and analyze, some of the more difficult shots, clearances, and situations we find ourselves in

it's a good way to learn and maybe get some debates going, be interesting to hear what players of my level think and what they'd do and also hear the advice and opinions of the super elite players, be interesting to see if everyone has a standard default setting for a lot of the the tough and difficult apots we face or if even at he top levels there's differing of opinions

spot 1) he rolls he brown ball over the packet and leaves us to it, what is out thinking in this spot (other than i could do with him disconnecting lol) how do we turn the situation in the top right to our advantage, and is it even possible, thoughts about how you'd be wanting this one to play out?

03qnwyk3taui.png

vf7xp8k8jbs8.png

3) background of opponent might be important in this one, having just done the hundred game challenge played a lot of super bad players where, i mentioned in my write up, you do get 2 or 3 chances a match, so situationaly that might be applicable here but like to hear people's opinions given the player, and then the situation if the opponent was of maybe a half decent standard, ideas?

bzxsen1kfemm.png

no1: you are already in control with the cluster top left and the stripe over the pocket! start with the 10 or 13 and then play the 12 into the 8 for the 14!

no2: i would play the 5 slow 3 rails to the bottom table (almost like the line of the white in sunids impossible solution :D ) and leave the white somewhere where the 5 was! he has no split from there while you have the 5 now bottom table for an easy split or even for a carom off the 4....or a deadlock safety when he pots his ball over the pocket

no3: refresh the game :D
    i think offense makes no sense anymore, you have no split and no real opportunity to make a position for a fantasy bank on the 3...... theres a time when you have to accept that you are in a impossible situation, better using the left balls to make it harder for him to runout! i would prolly just try to bring the 7 on the bottom rail to block the hole or between his 2 stripes........or just rolling the 3 onto the 10 and hope for a mistake and a way to grind it out somehow lol

Sunidhifan wrote: »

Situation 2 - This is how I would play it....black line is path of cue ball with high right spin as shown and 2/3rds power.......this will kick the cue ball off the bottom rail and knock in the 5....the high right spin will add forward momentum and will also increase the deflection angle off of both subsequent rails making the hit on the 9 ball and dropping the 4 a good possibility....but at worst, clear it from the 9 and rail for a good follow shot......easy clean up and win.... ;)

I4dT7h4.png

i like your solutions, always fun to watch..... but that one is dead wrong lol, you never get the white down there for the split, not even with the 4th long rail........with 2/3 speed on a country cue you are so running into the 11 :D i bet my house lolol
    rechecked: maybe you avoid the 11 by a fraction....and still you wont get there....never ever lol
    not even ultrasoft with the 4th long rail......
  • JJoeJJoe OLD PC/MOBILE Posts: 957 Pool Expert
    Situation 1 - You're in control, its yours to lose. I'm no tactical expert, but I'd pot his 7, and hopefully he'd take the bait and use his 4 to pot your 14...after that you have so many options and time on your side; snooker him if needed to then get an angle for the break out

Situation 2 - Make him try the break out, not you. No reason to force anything, play percentages. If he's a low skilled player, he'll play a nothing shot and give you a position which your break out is easier

Situation 3 - Try the 3 off the 10 into the top right...if that doesn't work...who knows maybe your opponent will miss haha
    edited March 28
    JJoe wrote: »
    Situation 1 - You're in control, its yours to lose. I'm no tactical expert, but I'd pot his 7, and hopefully he'd take the bait and use his 4 to pot your 14...after that you have so many options and time on your side; snooker him if needed to then get an angle for the break out

Situation 3 - Try the 3 off the 10 into the top right...if that doesn't work...who knows maybe your opponent will miss haha

1: not necessary to let him back on the table, its all in your favour here

2: lol with both, the cb and the 3 touching the rail gl with that try..... and with position after..... :D

2: lol with both, the cb and the 3 touching the rail gl with that try..... and with position after..... :D

Oh yeah, I looked at it again, and yeah the finish is on with the first spot, true. Didn't see at first, because all I was looking for was safety options! I'd have seen that normally, just was so focused on thinking tactically :D

And well yeah, I knew that but what else is there hahah

Oh yeah, I looked at it again, and yeah the finish is on with the first spot, true. Didn't see at first, because all I was looking for was safety options! I'd have seen that normally, just was so focused on thinking tactically :D

yeah nuttin´ :D
    but im sure there are plenty of hit n hope experts out there who would smack the 7.......... and magically the white stays in the middle of the table with the 3 and the 8 over the pocket lolol

yeah nuttin´ :D
    but im sure there are plenty of hit n hope experts out there who would smack the 7.......... and magically the white stays in the middle of the table with the 3 and the 8 over the pocket lolol

:D probably

great stuff, not just different level thinking but application as well ;)

@odlllbo seeing everyone's comments i think i was just a bit frustrated, not playing, or running, very well, every cannon not going my way etc, so i felt like he had the upper hand and messed up getting the balls out, i think i was just wondering about a situation like that in general, i'm finding with this game that even though they've made it so similar to the real thing having a ball over the pocket as insurance doesn't always seem as advantageous, i'm not sure why though

my angles are still pretty bad, playing in real life i just know from instinct how much side and spin to put on a ball to get it into a cluster, still having troubles with my angles on this

i hate the little line that comes off the ball after, it might show the direction or angle the balls going to come off at but the ball doesnt really follow that line, due to various factores, so i find it a bit off putting, playing no lines potting is obv harder but i find position so so much easier lol. weird a?

@Sunidhifan sorry to hear about your problems mate, hopefully it's not too bad at the moment and you can still enjoy a game now and then

wow it took me some time analyzing the lines you drew and shots you selected, but really cool to read, the last one is different level thinking again i think i'm so far away from even thinking about, let alone seeing those shots, maybe if i play a bit more indirect but my indirect game is really bad

the first one everyone seems to agree is standard, ut lots of other and interesting ideas for the other two, practical and theoretical,

@christhecueball in number 3 i think that's a part of the game i'm getting used to, safety and when to not be as aggressive, but i haven't thought about it too much in the weeks i've been playing, it's partially why i did this thread, seeing how analytical, and good, you guys are i don't want to be hitting and hoping all the time, so starting to think about, once i'm resigned to defense, what safety to play is probably still the next step, i have trouble with the delicacy of the controls, and if i dont "snap" the power bar back i dont seem to get as much "gear" on it when i do, so i still find it a bit fiddly and when there's tiny fraction involved it makes, safety especially, a bit tricky

i like the idea though for how to make it tricky for him to clear up,

@JJoe trying to improve on my safety game i liked to hear the tactical and safe element, the third spot is just a horrible one though, was interested to hear everyone's thoughts on it, i still dream now that he disconnected :D
    edited March 29

03qnwyk3taui.png

vf7xp8k8jbs8.png

bzxsen1kfemm.png

no1: you are already in control with the cluster top left and the stripe over the pocket! start with the 10 or 13 and then play the 12 into the 8 for the 14!

no2: i would play the 5 slow 3 rails to the bottom table (almost like the line of the white in sunids impossible solution :D ) and leave the white somewhere where the 5 was! he has no split from there while you have the 5 now bottom table for an easy split or even for a carom off the 4....or a deadlock safety when he pots his ball over the pocket

i think offense makes no sense anymore, you have no split and no real opportunity to make a position for a fantasy bank on the 3...... theres a time when you have to accept that you are in a impossible situation, better using the left balls to make it harder for him to runout! i would prolly just try to bring the 7 on the bottom rail to block the hole or between his 2 stripes........or just rolling the 3 onto the 10 and hope for a mistake and a way to grind it out somehow lol

I4dT7h4.png

i like your solutions, always fun to watch..... but that one is dead wrong lol, you never get the white down there for the split, not even with the 4th long rail........with 2/3 speed on a country cue you are so running into the 11 :D i bet my house lolol
    rechecked: maybe you avoid the 11 by a fraction....and still you wont get there....never ever lol

Can you just tell me why is it not possible to make the position for the bank on 3... and how is that bank shot even a 'fantasy' ?
    Perhaps a op sdsf legendary cue has the privilege to make the cue ball get that position :D

EDIT:
    I just recorded the shot on 3... and I used bih to get that position... but it is possible for the cb to land near the position shown in the vid... by an op sdsf legendary cue :D

03qnwyk3taui.png

vf7xp8k8jbs8.png

bzxsen1kfemm.png

I4dT7h4.png

Can you just tell me why is it not possible to make the position for the bank on 3... and how is that bank shot even a 'fantasy' ?
    Perhaps a op sdsf legendary cue has the privilege to make the cue ball get that position :D

EDIT:
    I just recorded the shot on 3... and I used bih to get that position... but it is possible for the cb to land near the position shown in the vid... by an op sdsf legendary cue :D

yeah sure you can get there....... but its a very low percentage positional shot to get position on very low percentage bankshot!
    in cases like this i prefer to go out with something destructive (also depends on how good the oppo is ofc) before trying something silly with a very low chance........
    @Nineballina Ge
    About the first spot, I think we have the advantage here because of the lay of the balls. Other similar looking spots may be different though so I know what u mean. With clusters it'll vary case by case but id say in general the player with more balls on the table is gonna have the advantage. This is why it's best to try take care of these problems as early in your run as possible cuz once u have 2 balls left to their 5 you're usually in big trouble if u miss.

The third spot is a good example of this. It's very tough to win a tactical battle here and the only advantage to going defensive is if u can get ball in hand to set up a break out of the 3, otherwise u might as well swing for the fences with a breakout attempt now. As u say though against a less experienced or over aggressive player this may change things and u get more value from tying up balls and making them shoot.

Maybe ill mess around with it on the practice table for a bit to see if i can make that 10 to 3 breakout shot :)
    couple more spots:

1) she has ball in hand, intentionally knocks my ball in. we have ball in hand, what now and how do we see/want this to play out, bit of a stalemate, who blinks first, with the ball so near the black over the pocket she can't get to it but trying to knock it out i probs lose the game, thoughts?

3k9p391tbbbr.png
    ii6j507hqoie.png

(i don't know if this was the right line to take, but tried to snooker her behind the red and get it out slowly, over several shots oi thought if need be)

2) this was a tricky one, but after some of the feedback and responses from the last few i posted i was thinking shot into the bottom right, normally i think i would've tried to roll it behind the yellow and cover that pocket (thats what i'd do it real life) but really wasn't sure, and didnt want once they'd cleared up the rest to have my ball as a buffer to stop them going in off the top right after theyve cleared the rest and then cut it into top left?

pghaxc3em4be.png

3) this is a bit more of a basic one, i think you guys will agree, but where is the angle here for the cannon, we have ball in hand and i just couldnt find the angle? or is there another shot/way?

6n62d7iorkgf.png

4) dunno why i'm posting this one tbh, it seemed like a bit of a hopeless position tbh, and sometimes i suppose we find ourselves in these spots and just have to accept it's done, or i there a series of super sick bank shots that you ridic level players would pull out the bag?

8mm0vlbnnwef.png

• SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 6,412 Pool Forum VIP
    Here is how I would play them (all table positions/cushions/pockets is viewing the image as seen on screen...so top is the long rail at top of screen under the names...making the long rail center pocket the 'top cushion middle pocket):

First one is a gimme ....I would not even take ball in hand....from right there, shoot the 2 ball at between 1/4 and 1/3 power with spin as shown for the double bank... a hard one off the right cushion back to a soft one on the top cushion just before the pocket to get the kick into the 8 ball and carom into the pocket....thus clearing the table for an easy run out.... ;)

X7u9HxQ.png

Here I would take the 10 ball as you are in the pic, less than 1/4 power with the slight bottom left spin shown leaving the cue ball tight near the top cushion...then the 12 ball straight down with slight top/right spin as shown, slightly over 1/3 power, bringing the cue ball back across table to hit the 14 and drive it down table away from all his balls and open for bottom right.....clean up... :)

gY8Ffip.png

I would play this one by taking the 4 ball off the top rail into bottom right as shown with two possible ways to play it, blue line is 4 ball path to combo in the 3 ball and leave the 4 ball roughly where the purple circle is....or, the better option I think is to pinch/carom the 4 ball off the right cushion as white line shows..., pinching the 3 ball kicking it out to where the purple circle is...roughly...either one would be with spin as shown and just under 1/3 power....

QvkNUqq.png

This is the most complicated....lol...so bear with me on my attempt at explaining it... ;)
    I would play the 5 ball first, just under 1/4 power with the very slight kill/left spin in orange circle, bank the 5 back into the bottom right as shown with the orange line while the white line with the number 1 on it is the cue ball travel and rough finish position at cue ball number 1....
    Second shot is line with number 2 on it to the rough finish position of cue ball with number 2 on it after banking the three ball cross table to top center as shown with red line....just about 1/3 power with red spin as shown.....then 3rd shot is line with number 3 on it to rough finish position of cue ball with number 3 on it...for the easy finish on the 8......

E6Mfs5Y.png

All positions and depictions of strike points are not exact...too hard for this old man to do on my shareware app....lol...Each shot, exact power and spin with finish points and approach angles would have to be judged during the play.....a static image is hard to work with....

Hope that all made sense..... ;) I am old and heavily medicated.... :* :D :)

X5lbOom.gif
    couple more spots:

1) she has ball in hand, intentionally knocks my ball in. we have ball in hand, what now and how do we see/want this to play out, bit of a stalemate, who blinks first, with the ball so near the black over the pocket she can't get to it but trying to knock it out i probs lose the game, thoughts?

3k9p391tbbbr.png
    ii6j507hqoie.png

(i don't know if this was the right line to take, but tried to snooker her behind the red and get it out slowly, over several shots oi thought if need be)

2) this was a tricky one, but after some of the feedback and responses from the last few i posted i was thinking shot into the bottom right, normally i think i would've tried to roll it behind the yellow and cover that pocket (thats what i'd do it real life) but really wasn't sure, and didnt want once they'd cleared up the rest to have my ball as a buffer to stop them going in off the top right after theyve cleared the rest and then cut it into top left?

pghaxc3em4be.png

3) this is a bit more of a basic one, i think you guys will agree, but where is the angle here for the cannon, we have ball in hand and i just couldnt find the angle? or is there another shot/way?

6n62d7iorkgf.png

4) dunno why i'm posting this one tbh, it seemed like a bit of a hopeless position tbh, and sometimes i suppose we find ourselves in these spots and just have to accept it's done, or i there a series of super sick bank shots that you ridic level players would pull out the bag?

8mm0vlbnnwef.png

1: easy shot here no one knows lol....... just kick the 3 out from behind and tie the white up on the 8, but dont roll it on the 5, that way you take the rail first shot out and hes deadlocked!

2: i dont like that situation lol but i would smooth the 10 in to play a 2 way cut on the 12..........either to the split or to the bank, needs topspin with a tad left!

3: you can split here ofc but i think i like the bankshot much better here........ its a easy one, you get automatic position on the 8 and you avoid troubles from the split!

4: safety off the 5, 2 rails behind the 14..... you get the 5 in the middle of the table and he cant do anything behind the 14, at best he will open you the 3! OR the bankshot on the 5 with safety option behind the 4.....when you make it you play the safety now, at best you tie the 12 up to the 3 and leave the 4 over the sidepocket! but im for option 1, i like the 5 in the middle of the table, it gives me more options later.......
    Some more good spots :)

1) With ball in hand kiss the 2 off the 8 into the pocket. This will knock the 3 loose. Like Sunidhifan's shot but the easy version for direct players:)

2) If ur decent at bank shots then u can bank the 14 past the 8 into the top right corner. I find these long table banks easier to judge for some reason.

3) Here I like using our ball in hand to place the cb right beside the 4 ball near the rail and use the guideline to carom off it into the 3. This should send the cb uptable while nudging the 4 free.

4) If ur good at indirect then it's three bank shots and you're out. If ur in a defensive mood I might play the cb safe uptable near the 8 ball pocket. Just roll into the left side of the 5 with a bit of left spin. Even if u leave a slice of the 12 ur still safe.
    haven't looked at all the responses indepthly yet guys, just looked over the first one and love the differing of opinions everyone has, shows what the game's all about and how 3 top quality players see the game that little bit differently, 3 completely different shots for the same situation from 3 top quality players

@Sunidhifan i dont think i'd try your shot, i just don't think i'm good enough, or confident enough tbh to pull it off, i'd wind up snookering myself behind the black, or more likely knocking it in, but again just next level thinking, one day i might be good enough to take on a shot like that, i think for me and my skill level i probably, in that situation, want to keep everything as delicate (and basic) as possible, i still have so much trouble controlling speed and spin/side on he cue ball on my mobile, like i've said before without that "flick" of the finger on the speed bar if i just pull it back slowly it doesnt seem to apply the spin/side i want, i dont think the force at which you hit a shot is the only factor in that "speed bar" i think the speed you pull it back has a big impact on the shot as well and i'm having big trouble with that, so i like to keep everything as basic and simple as possible, although that's not always possible, it is ruining a big part of my game tbh

@christhecueball again that sounds like such a tough shot for me to judge, i see what you're saying though, i can see the shot and would probs play it in real life, but again as above i do struggle with the delicate shots and it seems like there's no margin for error with that shot, would have to be dead on or we're in all kinds of trouble and probs lose the game

@odlllbo this is the option i like best, easiest for me to judge and execute, but one i wouldve never have thought of lol, but weirdly if i was playing for a pub team and went to line that shot up (obv they cant give me advice during a match/shot) but the looks on their faces would be telling me that their eagerness to buy me a couple of pints after the match has just dropped dramatically lol

gonna read the rest now, just love how you guys came up with three completely separate shots for the first one :)