Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

what would you do?

Comments

• JJoeJJoe UKPosts: 788 Pool Expert
    couple more spots:

1) she has ball in hand, intentionally knocks my ball in. we have ball in hand, what now and how do we see/want this to play out, bit of a stalemate, who blinks first, with the ball so near the black over the pocket she can't get to it but trying to knock it out i probs lose the game, thoughts?

3k9p391tbbbr.png
    ii6j507hqoie.png

(i don't know if this was the right line to take, but tried to snooker her behind the red and get it out slowly, over several shots oi thought if need be)

2) this was a tricky one, but after some of the feedback and responses from the last few i posted i was thinking shot into the bottom right, normally i think i would've tried to roll it behind the yellow and cover that pocket (thats what i'd do it real life) but really wasn't sure, and didnt want once they'd cleared up the rest to have my ball as a buffer to stop them going in off the top right after theyve cleared the rest and then cut it into top left?

pghaxc3em4be.png

3) this is a bit more of a basic one, i think you guys will agree, but where is the angle here for the cannon, we have ball in hand and i just couldnt find the angle? or is there another shot/way?

6n62d7iorkgf.png

4) dunno why i'm posting this one tbh, it seemed like a bit of a hopeless position tbh, and sometimes i suppose we find ourselves in these spots and just have to accept it's done, or i there a series of super sick bank shots that you ridic level players would pull out the bag?

8mm0vlbnnwef.png

1 - I'd feel SO tempted to bank the 2 ball to the pocket near the black, as its a big pocket with the black and in turn opening up the cluster. I'd want to do that, especially with ball in hand yeah

2 - drag ten in, leave white similar area. Then play the cut shot on 12 and go at the 14 possibly. Though if I get a funny angle where the pace needed and the spin needed don't mix easily, I'd try banking 14 as the last stripe.

3 - 78riqtewcs1g.png The 3 red spots could be possible options for CB to be placed imo. Tough one tho actually. I'd be tempted with putting CB near the 4 and playing the carom lol

4 - snooker behind 4, maybe he'll be careless and hit the escape too hard so it changes the layout
  • Nineballina GeNineballina Ge Posts: 171 Pool Pro
    @Sunidhifan thanks for putting all the effort in, those are some super accurate shot selections there, i still have huge trouble judging side, spin and especially pace (joe will confirm this, fml lol ;) ) so i try to play % shots and aim for areas, like shot 2 for example i cant ever imagine being that precise on a shot, and executing, but i love the thinking of it though and yes the third example did get a bit super complicated, but out of all your options shown i like option 3 the best, it suits my game and how i think about it, the shots i like to play, so thanks, but an a-level in maths specializing in geometry would certainly help lol

@christhecueball a bankshot for option 3 on non indirect tables is something now, after 6-7 weeks of playing i wouldnt still have thought of, and playing live i'd see it that's the weird thing, and for the last spot i can see exactly in my head the shot you described, playing it out, and again weirdly probably the shot that i'd play live, that's why i love this assessing of situations, the good but mostly different ideas you get from a lot of top quality players, everyone can learn a bit from it i think, seeing the ideas of other top quality players, but also you see lines to take and spots that you're missing for whatever reason and then the situation comes up again and something like this thread, and the answers that have come back sinks in, and you see a shot completely differently

@odlllbo yeah i know what you mean about being able to judge the up and down double easier than off the side cushion, i'm only starting out taking some of these shots on but have found the up and down a bit easier, practiced the angles a bit from a convo in an earlier thread, about spin when coming off the cushion, was carlos and maybe you discussing it, but the difference between full power and the drift when you slow it down, i dont know it it makes sense but the parallel line to the shot your'e trying to bank, since practicing that on the practice table, i see a lot more clearer if that makes sense?

and again different than a couple of the other solutions but i like your answer for option 3, playing indirect of the 4 onto the 3, opposite to what i was saying to chris about playing some of the shots suggested in real life this is one without the help of that line coming off the cueball which is super hard to judge in real life, and again a situation my fellow pool friends down the pub would be none too happy about me taking on, but again yeah here i like it and i think i was so fixated on getting the ball out coming off the 3 ball and finding the angle i hadnt looked at some of the other options

@JJoe i'm probably missing something here and gonna make myself look really stupid (more stupid than usual) but why bank it when we have ball in hand lol?

your shot for option 3 seems to be an emerging favorite, i'm kinda liking the bank shot though here now that i've seen what ideas people are coming up with

i like your option for spot 3 though, that's the way i was seeing it (probs not a great sign for you that my feeble pool brain is coming up with similar ideas) but yeah, tough spot and at the time was the best i could come up with
    @JJoe i'm probably missing something here and gonna make myself look really stupid (more stupid than usual) but why bank it when we have ball in hand lol?

your shot for option 3 seems to be an emerging favorite, i'm kinda liking the bank shot though here now that i've seen what ideas people are coming up with

i like your option for spot 3 though, that's the way i was seeing it (probs not a great sign for you that my feeble pool brain is coming up with similar ideas) but yeah, tough spot and at the time was the best i could come up with

Honestly banking it is a stupid option and I don't recommend it lol, but like I said I'd be so tempted to play that. It's not the percentage shot at all.

Haha yeah, did you mean my idea to put CB behind the 4 and carom?
    just wanted to say a quick thank you to the guys who have contributed to this thread, and give you a practical example of how your input and opinions have helped improve the theoretical side of my game, and hopefully has made you think about yours and reading the opinions of other top players have been an insight into how other people think about certain spots and situations

so a couple of months ago i had never potted an online ball in my life, and down the pub my indirect game is not exactly a big part of my shot selection range

so apart from rome and berlin where we're forced to go indirect, a lot of spots we've assessed in this thread so far are ones where i'd have never, in a million years, thought of as lines to take when playing the next shot

so i know this will be a pretty basic and standard example for you guys but for me it was a real and applicable example of thinking progressively about certain situations born uniquely out if the advice given in this thread

this spot comes up...

m1zt159qnri1.png

so straight away i go into aggressive mode and look at ways of potting it

1) super thin cut off the red, hopefully with a bit of help it goes, that was my initial thought, but it just wasnt on

2) a more direct off the red cut, off the cushion with a bit more pace into the red and knocking it in, again the angle just wasnt there (it did'nt seem to be anyaway)

so thinking i cant pot it i look at safety options

3) i'm thinking of a thin and delicate tap to roll up behind my ball, all sorts can go wrong with this shot, a very hard and delicate shot to play, having to bring it out off the cushion slightly that even if played perfectly leaves him a bank shot

it's at this point i'm thinking about this thread, and how this could be a situation to assess and see what your thoughts are here, which is when i insta realize what each of you would say is the, quite clear, and easiest shot :)

so i opt for option 4) and...

l2kbqt6i514d.png

:#

was actually quite pleased that i'd gone through the shot selection process the way i did and came to what was clearly the optimum shot here( i'm assuming everyone know what the shot was lol) but it was certainly with the help of this thread that i did so, so thanks guys!

will probs post a few more spots up in a few days

if anyone else faces some tricky/weird or unique situations in the meantime feel free to pop them up here as it seems to galvanize some really good analysis and discussion

just wanted to say a quick thank you to the guys who have contributed to this thread, and give you a practical example of how your input and opinions have helped improve the theoretical side of my game, and hopefully has made you think about yours and reading the opinions of other top players have been an insight into how other people think about certain spots and situations

so a couple of months ago i had never potted an online ball in my life, and down the pub my indirect game is not exactly a big part of my shot selection range

so apart from rome and berlin where we're forced to go indirect, a lot of spots we've assessed in this thread so far are ones where i'd have never, in a million years, thought of as lines to take when playing the next shot

so i know this will be a pretty basic and standard example for you guys but for me it was a real and applicable example of thinking progressively about certain situations born uniquely out if the advice given in this thread

this spot comes up...

m1zt159qnri1.png

so straight away i go into aggressive mode and look at ways of potting it

1) super thin cut off the red, hopefully with a bit of help it goes, that was my initial thought, but it just wasnt on

2) a more direct off the red cut, off the cushion with a bit more pace into the red and knocking it in, again the angle just wasnt there (it did'nt seem to be anyaway)

so thinking i cant pot it i look at safety options

3) i'm thinking of a thin and delicate tap to roll up behind my ball, all sorts can go wrong with this shot, a very hard and delicate shot to play, having to bring it out off the cushion slightly that even if played perfectly leaves him a bank shot

it's at this point i'm thinking about this thread, and how this could be a situation to assess and see what your thoughts are here, which is when i insta realize what each of you would say is the, quite clear, and easiest shot :)

so i opt for option 4) and...

l2kbqt6i514d.png

:#

was actually quite pleased that i'd gone through the shot selection process the way i did and came to what was clearly the optimum shot here( i'm assuming everyone know what the shot was lol) but it was certainly with the help of this thread that i did so, so thanks guys!

will probs post a few more spots up in a few days

if anyone else faces some tricky/weird or unique situations in the meantime feel free to pop them up here as it seems to galvanize some really good analysis and discussion

As a general rule, play with an economy of cue ball - don't make it travel any more than it should, so I would never cut that. Unmissable double/bank, play it with backspin for the control too :)

And for sure yeah, i'll look out for tricky situations to post here. My breaks tend to be horrific so I do get a lot of odd patterns
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,343 Pool Champion
    edited April 2
    I see the easiest shot here is a cut on to the cushion using the brown and the only place the 11 has to go is in the pocket. 99/100 shot with half power IMO. But your bank shot equally as efficient and gives you more control of the CB :)
    I see the easiest shot here is a cut on to the cushion using the brown and the only place the 11 has to go is in the pocket. 99/100 shot with half power IMO. But your bank shot equally as efficient and gives you more control of the CB :)

Lol I always mess up them type of shots, even more in irl. It most be something that distracts me with the set up
  • SunidhifanSunidhifan Earthbound....Posts: 5,875 Pool Forum VIP
    So......what happened with this thread?..... :*

I rather enjoyed it.... ;)

X5lbOom.gif
    When I'm next in a tricky spot, I'll screenshot and post it here ;) B)
  • طلحہ سجادطلحہ سجاد UnknownsvillePosts: 672 Pool Expert
    JJoe wrote: »

Your intent is to stop posting here?

lol
    i've been taking some screen shots now and then of some tough and sticky spots that have come up, but just haven't had the time, and i know @JJoe said he might post a couple

it has been a really good and enlightening thread, be good to keep it going so keep an eye out for any weird or horrible situations you find yourself in and post them up :)

and i did anticipate, with the way @odlllbo is running at the moment, his responses would be something along the lines of:

spot 1) i clear the table and win the match

spot 2) i pot all the balls and win the match

spot 3) get oppo in impossible snooker, after which i clear the table and win the match

:D

so some spots to talk about, the last selection i'll break down into 3 parts, as they're 3 separate situations, but very similar and one i'm sure we all find ourselves in, so interested to hear peoples opinions on the situations themselves and then in general if there's a rule for these spots that you tend to follow

but to get us started, maybe a more easy one, and i think i took the right line here, messed up position, couple of mm away, was gutted!....

v0u9nilkdi5r.png

but what now? initially, and am i'm sure what might pop into a lot of people's heads, just try to cover the pocket, but then thought about it a bit more and went for the deliberate foul, tie his ball up, right shot?...

rqgs0fb2ig9u.png

2)

this spot comes up, not a great one for me, and maybe wrong choice, my ball tying up his two are all that's stopping him from the win:

xiznt0qmt74h.png

so i figure i dont want him breaking them up, but then what's the long game here? i go for the deliberate foul, give him one less ball to come off and break them up, but if i chose this line was it the right ball to pot, is it the right decision in the first place, and how do we see this playing out?

vsmg30h2weoc.png

3)

this one was a weird one, i decided to come off the 11 ball to move the black out, that was the line i thought was right....

ctm78sgqbws9.png

but then i didn't fancy it, i thought i was going in off, could see me **** back and skimming in off, so he could'nt see the potting angle, i thought i'd give him a chance and see if he would hopefully make a mistake, and create the opportunity for me

stn86w4huv14.png

thoughts?

it wont let me post any more pics so will break the next one down into parts a,b and c as they're all similar and be interested to hear peoples general thoughts on this situation that seems to come up quite a bit......................

i've been taking some screen shots now and then of some tough and sticky spots that have come up, but just haven't had the time, and i know @JJoe said he might post a couple

it has been a really good and enlightening thread, be good to keep it going so keep an eye out for any weird or horrible situations you find yourself in and post them up :)

and i did anticipate, with the way @odlllbo is running at the moment, his responses would be something along the lines of:

spot 1) i clear the table and win the match

spot 2) i pot all the balls and win the match

spot 3) get oppo in impossible snooker, after which i clear the table and win the match

so some spots to talk about, the last selection i'll break down into 3 parts, as they're 3 separate situations, but very similar and one i'm sure we all find ourselves in, so interested to hear peoples opinions on the situations themselves and then in general if there's a rule for these spots that you tend to follow

but to get us started, maybe a more easy one, and i think i took the right line here, messed up position, couple of mm away, was gutted!....

v0u9nilkdi5r.png

but what now? initially, and am i'm sure what might pop into a lot of people's heads, just try to cover the pocket, but then thought about it a bit more and went for the deliberate foul, tie his ball up, right shot?...

rqgs0fb2ig9u.png

2)

this spot comes up, not a great one for me, and maybe wrong choice, my ball tying up his two are all that's stopping him from the win:

xiznt0qmt74h.png

so i figure i dont want him breaking them up, but then what's the long game here? i go for the deliberate foul, give him one less ball to come off and break them up, but if i chose this line was it the right ball to pot, is it the right decision in the first place, and how do we see this playing out?

vsmg30h2weoc.png

3)

this one was a weird one, i decided to come off the 11 ball to move the black out, that was the line i thought was right....

ctm78sgqbws9.png

but then i didn't fancy it, i thought i was going in off, could see me **** back and skimming in off, so he could'nt see the potting angle, i thought i'd give him a chance and see if he would hopefully make a mistake, and create the opportunity for me

stn86w4huv14.png

thoughts?

it wont let me post any more pics so will break the next one down into parts a,b and c as they're all similar and be interested to hear peoples general thoughts on this situation that seems to come up quite a bit......................

1. get cb behind the 11 after hitting your 2 half ball ish. Tough to get perfect, but only safety shot you have that if played perfectly will promote your ball to a nice spot while leaving him in trouble.

2. Not 100% sure if this is on, but I'd try to tie the 8 up with the 6, by deliberate foul of course, but it'd then give him 2 problem areas - so that on next shot you can free your ball while still leaving him with a problem area.

3. Stun dead on the 13, then draw into the 8 cluster with the 10 if you're feeling attacking. OR hit 11 to go near ish to the 8 while snookering him, as then when you get another shot you can work towards using the 11 to break out the 8 probably by carom

Just what I see :)
    4 a) so those pesky on the rail tippy tappy situations :)

how do you feel about these spots, and who tends to have the advantage, in the end arnt we just heading towards the corner pocket, however many shots later it is? what are we trying to achieve?

hnecujbngixz.png

several shots later as we headed towards the middle pocket i think he could see he was gonna leave an opening over or around the middle and was forced to do something a bit more creative but came unstuck, maybe i forced him into the mistake, maybe he got bored, but is that what we're trying to achieve, positive safety of just try to get oppo to make a mistake?

d1doec7kdjof.png

b) so this one was on the cards for a while and then went on for a good few minutes...

w4bwwtxtdvgq.png

i messed up in the end and left the black of the pocket, luckily for me he missed it, and pretty sick for him wound up sending the black into the pocket down the other end of the table, but i played one of these situations last week where i didnt get away with it, after a 10-15 shot exchange, knocked it over the bin very marginally, and he smashed it in

4kah7sdykmgw.png

c) looking at the above examples above this is one that we can see coming a few shots out, is this a situation destined to replicate the ones above, and are you happy for it to do so, if you get the chance to see that that's the way it's going is it a situation you're happy to let happen or is it omething to try and avoid at all costs

o3dq0mprl80f.png

so how do you feel about the above spots and these situations in general, is there a rule for them you tend to follow, what is your goal, and is there another way instead of getting into these spots that can maybe move you away from these exchanges that maybe people have missed or over looked

obv in these spots if ur on the right side you get ball in hand a few times, i've noticed that trying to get his ball of of the cushion ever so slighty seems to be an advantage, very hard to judge but means further shots from him will just connect to his ball and move it even more away from the rail, eventually opening up the rail completely, like i said very tricky to judge and maybe a but idealistic but the chance came up once in an encounter like this and i saw how difficult made the exchange for my opponent and keeping the rail

anyway those are my thoughts and observations on those horrible exchanges that tacticaly can be quite interesting but can also be laborious, time consuming and soul crushing if you're on the wrong end of one :D

ideas?

A+
    @JJoe

love the first one, didn't even see it tbh, probs because those delicate shots i find so tricky, so straight away it's something i'm not even thinking about, but now you've said it as simple as it seems (but maybe delicate/tricky to execute) is definitely the shot

and ironically saves a situation developing like the ones i went on to show a bit later

i was gonna say for option 2 i wasn't sure how much value there was in what you was suggesting, but in terms of long game i like the thinking of trying to do something positive to get my ball out rather than the super negative line i took

i see what you're saying in both the number 3 ideas, i just hate the whole situation tbh i dunno why though cos i'm sure it's a pretty good spot for us and he'd be scratching his head hoping somehow we make a mistake
    @JJoe

love the first one, didn't even see it tbh, probs because those delicate shots i find so tricky, so straight away it's something i'm not even thinking about, but now you've said it as simple as it seems (but maybe delicate/tricky to execute) is definitely the shot

and ironically saves a situation developing like the ones i went on to show a bit later

i was gonna say for option 2 i wasn't sure how much value there was in what you was suggesting, but in terms of long game i like the thinking of trying to do something positive to get my ball out rather than the super negative line i took

i see what you're saying in both the number 3 ideas, i just hate the whole situation tbh i dunno why though cos i'm sure it's a pretty good spot for us and he'd be scratching his head hoping somehow we make a mistake

What I said for number 1 is very low percentage tbh,it wouldn't be as low percentage if he had less balls on table but...

and true, its just the first thing I saw. i'm not the best tactically lol
  • odlllboodlllbo Posts: 295 Pool Pro
    @Nineballina Ge In all these spots I'd just pot our balls and win the match. I haven't looked at them yet but I'm pretty sure that's the right answer :)

Some more interesting ones you've got here. I'll have a look through my saved screenshots and see if there are some good spots to add.

1) here I think u prob played the best shot against most opponents. If u feel ur opponent is 99% to break the cluster and get out then I like Joe's shot of rolling with a bit of right side and freezing them to the 11.

If ur confident in ur kicking skills u could also try and kick it across table and back at slowish speed and try to pot the 2. This shot would be alot easier if the 2 was a bit closer to the pocket but still makeable as is.

2) here again I think u played the best shot. I like tying up the 6 and 8 if u can but from this position it doesn't look like it's on.

Long game here I think is just to keep tying up the balls til we get an opening and ofc is gonna depend on the opponents shot. If they freeze behind the 4 and push the 15 near the 8 then I think we could try to put the 4 between the 15 and the 8 to advance our position.

...actually looking at it again now I just noticed an attacking option that might just be lined up perfect. Hit the 15 into the 4 sending the 4 to the rail and back to 15 to make it in the corner. Looks like the 15 and 4 are lined up at a very slight angle to make this doable. Hit it at a slower speed to make the pocket as big as possible plus if it rattles out u may leave it over the pocket to block the 8.

The more I look at this shot the more I like it:) nifty little shot that would sure shut up our opponent if they happen to be trash talking :)

3) Here I like just rolling into the 11. Even if we don't hook them they have no shot. If they roll the 11 into the 8 we should be able to work that with bih, and if they don't move the 11 for some reason we can use it to kiss off the 3 into the pocket to break out the 8.

In these spots I usually look for the kiss shot (or carom or billiard?:) to clear things out if there's a cluster near the pocket.

I'll get to 4) later :)
    4 a) so those pesky on the rail tippy tappy situations :)

how do you feel about these spots, and who tends to have the advantage, in the end arnt we just heading towards the corner pocket, however many shots later it is? what are we trying to achieve?

hnecujbngixz.png

several shots later as we headed towards the middle pocket i think he could see he was gonna leave an opening over or around the middle and was forced to do something a bit more creative but came unstuck, maybe i forced him into the mistake, maybe he got bored, but is that what we're trying to achieve, positive safety of just try to get oppo to make a mistake?

d1doec7kdjof.png

b) so this one was on the cards for a while and then went on for a good few minutes...

w4bwwtxtdvgq.png

i messed up in the end and left the black of the pocket, luckily for me he missed it, and pretty sick for him wound up sending the black into the pocket down the other end of the table, but i played one of these situations last week where i didnt get away with it, after a 10-15 shot exchange, knocked it over the bin very marginally, and he smashed it in

4kah7sdykmgw.png

c) looking at the above examples above this is one that we can see coming a few shots out, is this a situation destined to replicate the ones above, and are you happy for it to do so, if you get the chance to see that that's the way it's going is it a situation you're happy to let happen or is it omething to try and avoid at all costs

o3dq0mprl80f.png

so how do you feel about the above spots and these situations in general, is there a rule for them you tend to follow, what is your goal, and is there another way instead of getting into these spots that can maybe move you away from these exchanges that maybe people have missed or over looked

obv in these spots if ur on the right side you get ball in hand a few times, i've noticed that trying to get his ball of of the cushion ever so slighty seems to be an advantage, very hard to judge but means further shots from him will just connect to his ball and move it even more away from the rail, eventually opening up the rail completely, like i said very tricky to judge and maybe a but idealistic but the chance came up once in an encounter like this and i saw how difficult made the exchange for my opponent and keeping the rail

anyway those are my thoughts and observations on those horrible exchanges that tacticaly can be quite interesting but can also be laborious, time consuming and soul crushing if you're on the wrong end of one :D

ideas?

1. Tie the black up with his ball, then on next shot free your ball - in hopes you can then use your ball to break out black while potting it?
    2. with ball in hand, put cb behind the 5 and roll the 5 other near the 8, to set up a break out
    3. its his shot so it really depends what he does, but if he just taps up - go game! you're in control so put your balls and break out accordingly

@Nineballina Ge what you think?