Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

what would you do?

Comments

• odlllboodlllbo Posts: 365 Pool Pro
    yeah bank it top right, leave it short and use the 8........i call it "the sell out shot" :D

Looks tempting as he*l :D
  • Nineballina GeNineballina Ge Posts: 356 Pool Pro
    i was gonna say first thing i do, playing from spots, is probs wrap the 9 up with our 6, i know this is super negative, and probably causes us some problems down the line, but i cant see a shot from there where he can pot anything, or cannon the tied up balls if he can

i know this seems a bit obvious, and from the pic we've already selected the pocket, but 7 into the top right (as we're looking at the pic) and then i know the angle we're at and pace we'd have to play it at wer're a bit limited with how exact we can be with position, but depending on what we fancied surely we're on the 1 or 6?

looking at it again the 1 is the ball we wanna probs be on if taking this line, so across the table, or probs screw back off two cushions should leave us good for the 1 ball?

and thinking about it now probs a good opportunity to break the 6 and 9 apart?

it seems on in my head anyway lol, either of those

i like being on this side of the fence, and not the one always finding myself in these ridic horrible spots lol

gonna go to the practice table and see if my shot is on or if it just looks to good and obvious in my head :D

couple of new spots that came up, real tricky ones tbh, and they developed into two of the longest and more difficult strategy/safety battles that i've ever had, hoping you guys can help simplify them (edit - forgot about number 3 which wasn't a long drawn out one, just a rather tricky spot)

1) the first one is a pretty standard spot that comes up regularly when its just one set of balls, coupled together on the rails at the end of a match, but coming down to the business end of the game not sure i've ever had two sets of balls both be in this position, really did turn into a tough scrap this one, but any ideas on what you'd be thinking about doing here, how you'd like it to play out, both in terms of the initial shot you'd be playing and long term, and who has the upper hand as it's out shot and we're assessing what to do?

4szjfzt8m3qi.png

2) again it's our shot here, but this has trouble written all over it, well it did to me lol, obv i think we need to keep our 2 ball in play, but ideas as to what we should be looking to do here and any shots we can play staight away to avoid the long slugfest that was to ensue?

6xmpz45lanyc.png

3) dont wanna risk the cannon here and the black looks like it goes all day long and we insta lose, another to cannon it or another line to take? maybe a very opponent dependent one? hoping if we put our opponent in trouble he tries to go for some crazy double and moves them for us, dont think anyone goes for that a very high % of the time though so i think he'd just be happy to keep giving us the ball back, any ideas? this was a tricky one for me but i did think maybe there was something more obvious here that i was missing?

2ohxr7ne70c2.png

couple of new spots that came up, real tricky ones tbh, and they developed into two of the longest and more difficult strategy/safety battles that i've ever had, hoping you guys can help simplify them (edit - forgot about number 3 which wasn't a long drawn out one, just a rather tricky spot)

1) the first one is a pretty standard spot that comes up regularly when its just one set of balls, coupled together on the rails at the end of a match, but coming down to the business end of the game not sure i've ever had two sets of balls both be in this position, really did turn into a tough scrap this one, but any ideas on what you'd be thinking about doing here, how you'd like it to play out, both in terms of the initial shot you'd be playing and long term, and who has the upper hand as it's out shot and we're assessing what to do?

4szjfzt8m3qi.png

2) again it's our shot here, but this has trouble written all over it, well it did to me lol, obv i think we need to keep our 2 ball in play, but ideas as to what we should be looking to do here and any shots we can play staight away to avoid the long slugfest that was to ensue?

6xmpz45lanyc.png

3) dont wanna risk the cannon here and the black looks like it goes all day long and we insta lose, another to cannon it or another line to take? maybe a very opponent dependent one? hoping if we put our opponent in trouble he tries to go for some crazy double and moves them for us, dont think anyone goes for that a very high % of the time though so i think he'd just be happy to keep giving us the ball back, any ideas? this was a tricky one for me but i did think maybe there was something more obvious here that i was missing?

2ohxr7ne70c2.png

1st spot is a really interesting one. Are we solids or stripes? Assuming we're solids my goal would be to pot the opponent's 13 ball to give us the ball advantage. Then we can use our 4 ball to help free up the 1. I think I'd try and pot the 13 by playing the 4 into the rail at just the right angle. Even if we miss there's a good chance we can pot it on our next turn but would def help if we can keep our 4 ball in it's way by playing the shot at just the right speed.
    Ur prob right that it's opponent dependent as a strong indirect player is a favourite to bank that 9 ball in from most spots on the table imo. So that's def a factor to consider.

2nd spot. Hmmm tough one for sure. Maybe we could shoot straight into the 2 and play it two rails towards the 13. If we pot the 13 then yahtzee but if not there's a decent chance we could tie it up with the 13 or 8 and prevent opp from potting our ball. Not sure if this is our best shot tho.

3rd spot if we want opponent to solve the problem for us we could always "accidentally" miss the 15 ball and leave the cb on the top rail :) but I kinda like playing the 9 into the rail just above the pocket at a slow speed and rolling into the 8. This should move the 14 just enough to free it up or at the very least put the 9 in the mix and give us more break out options.
  • christhecueballchristhecueball Posts: 369 Pool Pro
    1st: you, you and you, see no way to lose that game lol
    first you need to get behind one of your balls.....i´d slowroll a 2 rail safety behind the 13, even when i could flick it....... when you dont make it, it doesnt matter since he cant do anything and when you make it you have won lol soon as you are behind we try to tiptap the 4 to the sidepocket and the 8....in best case we split the 8 and pot the 4 too lol only needs a few steps.....

2nd: going for the split should be the right shot here, not easy to get the upperhand in a safetybattle on that table.....

3rd: also unlosebale lol just roll the 9 infront of the 8 via long rail and the cb behind the 14....chingchangchung
    edit to 1st

you also can do it with the other couple.......key is here to get bih, then you have countless options.....
  • JJoeJJoe OLD PC/MOBILE Posts: 855 Pool Expert

4szjfzt8m3qi.png

6xmpz45lanyc.png

2ohxr7ne70c2.png

1. attacking safety play for me here, the 8 is out of commission (to use a snooker phrase lol) there, and in the screen shot both his balls are as well. So first shot I'd literally just promote black to a nice potable position. Then see what opponent does, but you shouldn't be able to lose unless you give up free ball to him.
    2. you've gotta go to break out your bad ball with the 2, no choice. Top right hand side, nice pace, you've a chance.
    3. wow, just play the 9 over the pocket near where the 8 is! snooker him at same time, you'll probably get free ball and then you have a nice easy split :)
    edited May 12
    "this was a tricky one for me but i did think maybe there was something more obvious here that i was missing?"

that was what i wrote for number 3, and pretty sure everyone came up with the insta super easy answer, which yeah now kinda seems obvious so thanks guys

differing opinions about number 1 a bit, and like you said @JJoe another element of it that i was kinda mindful of was the black being tied up

everyone seems to think we were in good position here, but i wasnt sure, @odlllbo i can see why you wasnt sure what colours we were with the name being different on the second one, my alt account, but yeah 50/50 as to what we were and you chose wrong lol, but good to hear the analysis from the other side actually

although everyone seemed to see no1 a bit differently so i'll show you guys how it played out, @christhecueball i know you thought it was a super good spot for us here

the two rail drop on our ball snooker is a super tough one for me to judge, i did look at it actually but was too hard, looking at it now the way you've said it maybe very little down side to a shot that has a huge upside, as tricky as it would be for me to judge

so i go passive safe after which he plays an attacking snooker and tries to get my ball right off the cushion, so now i feel like he's moved our ball of the cushion and it has definitely swung a bit for him?

zduqkxtqzh37.png

so we get to here and this goes on for a while, bit of a stalemate:

yhrxifpeljwk.png

and this was a real grind by now, very long match and coming up on 10 mins

so i decide that i have an idea to take the upper hand, i'll explain my thinking after, but i come up with this gem of a shot, guessing not many will like this idea, (and it did have a theory behind it) wrong line to take though?

ouzx5n5v66z2.png

so as you can see it's now gotten a bit congested around the top right pocket

azvvjggu8u3f.png

so with ball in hand i'm thinking the pot/cannon into the cluster, is that the right shot here?

amazingly after potting the 9 and going for the cannon this is here we end up

xa62a6qh4n5d.png

and as you can see oppo again clearly condones the white balls final position lol

after that obv we're in all kinds of trouble and lose the match soon after, so where did this one get away from us lads? a few shots there which i wish i could re - play and i think the shot on the black, especially, as wacky an idea as i had come up with for it, was fatal for us and it was all down hill from there, i feel like he waited me out, just tapped his ball around when we got the bottom cluster out, i blinked first, came up with a shot i thought was a good spot for that shot and had a long term plan for, but wound up ultimately costing us the match, was there a shot that i particularly mangled or were they pretty much equally butchered throughout lol, thoughts?

I went to edit a typo in my comment and it has disappeared pending approval :# hope it returns
    edited May 12
    odlllbo wrote: »
    I went to edit a typo in my comment and it has disappeared pending approval :# hope it returns

i've done that before a fair few times mate

so far i'm 100% on them not reappearing, which doesn't bode well :(

fingers crossed

(although i have found a couple of times that if i come out of the thread, or site, when i come back in the draft is back in the comment box at the bottom so hopefully it might still there, as you're reading this message, scroll down a bit more, and hopefully, bingo :) ...........)

Nope look like it's gone :s that's annoying. Didn't realize that was a common thing. Guess theres a ton of posts out there floating in limbo waiting to be approved, maybe some day lol

Well to give a recap I was saying that if we're stripes then I like skimming the 9 with max left and hiding behind it. Then use bih to get free. And we def don't wanna give bih to our opponent as they could just pot our 13 by skimming off the 4.

From pic 1 in the last post I like kicking at the 9 slowish speed just to hit it and maintain our advantage.

From pic 2 if we wanna go aggressive we could spin back all the way from the 9 and run into the 4 and we should be a favourite to have a shot. Not sure tho. What was ur plan with the 8?

From pic 4 u prob got a bit unlucky with ur cannon shot but we could also roll into the 8 super slow off our 13 and leave it hooked provided the 8 isn't frozen to rail.

The toughest thing for me if I was playing this game would be to not time out due to over thinking lol

Oh and going back to number 2 from previous post (Toronto table) I think that Chris and Joe are prob right that going for the breakout off the 2 is our best bet as the defensive route doesn't look that promising.
    @odlllbo "What was ur plan with the 8?"

i was gonna pot his 1 after, i think it wouldve been a great situation for us then with how the balls were, whatever he wanted to do.

i think he saw what was coming though and quickly wrapped the balls up in the top right

yeah i like your solution to pic 4, maybe that was the way to go, it mightve got tight for a while but we then have a massive advantage and should win from there, i think i saw a chance the smash them up and for once decided on the positive attacking option, felt right at the time, and not wanting to be results orientated i think yeah, a bit unlucky with the cannon maybe

so this one came up, seemed a bit similar to some other spots so wasn't sure about posting it

lp9475bj4qte.png

the same tippy tappy type situations, as its turned out that situation has now been solved :o
    (note the spin on the cue ball) played at what i'm guessing was about 1/2 pace

p21rwnbj9gmn.png

and bingo

kad3wtww8ei0.png

really made me think about the game and hoe it compares to a live game, i've been very impressed so far, i think on a 9ball table yes, but on a trappy little 8 ball table, just cant see this shot at all and have never seen it

there are some things, i think mainly with 9 ball, how big the balls are with thin cuts you could never make in real life, i question how real the game has been made, but i think it's about as real as you could make it, i was imagining the situation above coming up on a real 8 ball pool table, down the pub, pool night, all your team mates watching on, match tied at 6-6, and you go for THAT shot! in terms of quantify chance, value etc there's a high % chance you are getting the drinks in for the next few rounds in you try this shot!

it was just a bit surprising to see and played with a lot of confidence a shot that i would never take on in real life, i mean i suppose the trick shots you see on thos trick shot videos people wouldnt go for in real life either, in proper game, the physics of the game wouldnt allow some of them, it just got me thinking about taking on a shot, not because it's value, or what you'd do in real life etc, but because it's on a computer game and here it works, so made me re - think the way i approach the game a bit i suppose

Other than the way the ball reacts coming off the rail (which I posted about in another thread) I'd agree the physics are quite realistic. I know what u mean about the different play style between this game and real life. Think the main difference is that in this game u can pot 100% of the direct shots no matter the angle or distance so that really affects the way people play shape. For instance if the next ball is on the end rail and ur cue ball is at the other side of the table, there's less reasin to try and play a fancy shot to get ur cb uptable, and risk scratching etc, when u can just leave the cb there and play a long distance 85 degree cut shot and still make it every time. This def affects optimal pattern play in the game vs irl.

And have those tiptap situations been solved? Cause I'm still not sure what the gto approach to two ball rail clusters is and I kinda just play each one as I see it.

Other than the way the ball reacts coming off the rail (which I posted about in another thread) I'd agree the physics are quite realistic. I know what u mean about the different play style between this game and real life. Think the main difference is that in this game u can pot 100% of the direct shots no matter the angle or distance so that really affects the way people play shape. For instance if the next ball is on the end rail and ur cue ball is at the other side of the table, there's less reasin to try and play a fancy shot to get ur cb uptable, and risk scratching etc, when u can just leave the cb there and play a long distance 85 degree cut shot and still make it every time. This def affects optimal pattern play in the game vs irl.

And have those tiptap situations been solved? Cause I'm still not sure what the gto approach to two ball rail clusters is and I kinda just play each one as I see it.

yeah thats true, but i like avoiding that for some reason, i think it makes the game less real and looks scrappy, but it has cost me, i think in real life i'd do my bets to get position on this tricky ball that obv i dont want to be taking on from all the way at the other and of the table, from a tricky angle, so yeah you wouldnt play it like that, and i still try and get position and make life worse for myself, trying to get position, and maybe messing it up, just because i think it looks more real, like it would in real life, i still do that, not sure why

i think leave the ball here, and pot this ball 100% of the time that would maybe be a 7/10 in real life, or come off 3 cushions and make it 100%, when it's already a 100% i just still play like i would in real life, which like you say on here you dont have to

i think i just had the hump, this guy playing the double kiss run through, that would never be on in real life, he posts my ball, judges the pace perfectly and the white rolls through and pots the black, its just a shot you dont see a lot in real life and i dont think would work a high % of the time, but this guy did it pretty easily and made me think wow, no need for strategy game here, he just solved the situation forever, the plant run through double kiss the black in, it looked good lol, but in real life would be still be hard to get right, even with, how straight they are in the pic

• JJoeJJoe OLD PC/MOBILE Posts: 855 Pool Expert
    50ndk10ojdw5.png

What would you do? Its your turn on Solids
    horror of a situation to try and sort out

i think @odlllbo @christhecueball and @COOLOCKER probably got a better shot at unravelling this mess than me

before i give it a shot though, can we see the 7 ball into the middle, not being a pc player one of those snooker situations when something looks very obvious from the commentary box but is completely different down on the table, so being so used to mobile i think because of the different layout, i know it shouldnt make a difference, i cant tell if it goes or not?
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Now you know.Posts: 3,682 Pool Champion
    The time ran out on me as well Joe, trying to think of what i would do, lol. I was looking at this for a time yesterday, but with a sore head, lol. Thats one tough looking situation there.

The only thing i could think of was going for the middle pocket on your 7, with a lot of topspin. It looks like a slight angle on that so that you dont follow through into the pocket. Its a tricky shot, as the black is just hanging there. And we know how tricky that middle pocket can be when using a lot of power.

If your shot came off, you would then be on the 1 ball, and depending on the angle your left with, you could use your next shot to go down and break up the 4 and 6. After that its anyones guess what your left with, but that 5 is your next battle.

yeah thats true, but i like avoiding that for some reason, i think it makes the game less real and looks scrappy, but it has cost me, i think in real life i'd do my bets to get position on this tricky ball that obv i dont want to be taking on from all the way at the other and of the table, from a tricky angle, so yeah you wouldnt play it like that, and i still try and get position and make life worse for myself, trying to get position, and maybe messing it up, just because i think it looks more real, like it would in real life, i still do that, not sure why

i think leave the ball here, and pot this ball 100% of the time that would maybe be a 7/10 in real life, or come off 3 cushions and make it 100%, when it's already a 100% i just still play like i would in real life, which like you say on here you dont have to

i think i just had the hump, this guy playing the double kiss run through, that would never be on in real life, he posts my ball, judges the pace perfectly and the white rolls through and pots the black, its just a shot you dont see a lot in real life and i dont think would work a high % of the time, but this guy did it pretty easily and made me think wow, no need for strategy game here, he just solved the situation forever, the plant run through double kiss the black in, it looked good lol, but in real life would be still be hard to get right, even with, how straight they are in the pic

I'm the same way where i try and play position the way I would in real life, and I can't give a great reason either lol. Guess it just makes it more realistic for me and closer to a real pool game. Though if the cb is against a rail or some other balls, I won't hesitate to put backspin on it when this would be impossible irl :)

That follow through shot on the 8 is doable irl with a good stroke but keeping the balls in a straight line is the tough part. And I'd guess it gets exponentially tougher the farther the 8 is from the pocket. Having the rail there as a guide might make it a bit easier not sure. I'll have to try it the next time I'm playing and report back :)
    @JJoe oofh! That's a brutal spot lol don't like our chances. Especially with that 5 where it is. In game I'd likely just tie up the 7 with the 14 and hope for the best.

Another option is to try and bank the 1 into the top left pocket but play it off the top rail and kiss off the 12. This would hopefully tie up the 12 with our balls or even knock the 12 free possibly. If we hit it with a lot of top spin and not too hard we should avoid hitting the 8.

Hopefully after this a way knock the 5 free becomes available. Hope is a bit part of my strategy here lol
    edited May 16
    1vf4pm7vn4sz.png

only defensive chance i see.......the hope he isnt good enough for the split lol!
    potting the 7 as suggested is a) tricky af and b) even when you make it, what next?

the only offensive shot i see here which would make sense would be to bank the 1 top left very soft with top right.......maybe you get the 5 a bit out and also you could move the 12 out of the way......
    and when nothing works but the bank (it should work, you have a huge pocket there, which you should use anyways) you still can block top left with the 7 or even pot it rail first over the 12, could split well here!

personally idk what shot i´d play, depends how i feel and how good my oppo is.......but by thinking of it i´d prolly go for the 1.....