Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Divide free players from paying players

Jake B. HayesJake B. Hayes Posts: 2 New Member
Free miniclip is quite unfair to people who play. Why not divide the game f2p and p2p? There's no reason I'm level 40 and should be playing a level 108 with a cue that is like 68 levels above mine. The game gives no chance to free players unless you play with crappy cues and low risk and then somehow get lucky with the higher rank divisions. It takes way too much skill and abstract luck for free players. I'm not saying free players are entitled to more in the game, but the game is moving way way too far in the direction of you have to play to compete with the better cues. I've played this game for 4 YEARS and I'm a level 40 with like 7K coins. People have made more in ONE DAY that I have in that time. NO FAIR TO FREE PLAYERS against PEOPLE WHO PAY TO GET COINS/CUES AT ALL. Game is driven towards profits and is disadvantaging free players and pushing them to pay.

Now the free coin thing gives us 1 COIN EACH instead of 15 COINS, so now free playing players (that don't buy anything with real money) have yet another obstacle to overcome. Totally disugsted with this because I have loved Miniclip 8 ball pool old version for forever, and new version doesn't have that feel for me. I'm just getting tired of every free game being pushed towards paying, it happens to every game and this one especially hurts since it's driving me away with all the changes towards pressuring people to pay or not play anymore.

Comments

• JJoeJJoe OLD PC/MOBILE Posts: 878 Pool Expert
    Hi, if you love old version that's great then. Old V has no disadvantage for free playing players honestly. Tho a good case can be made for mobile being like you said.

Happy to play some free, friendly games with you sometime
  • COOLOCKERCOOLOCKER Secluder.Posts: 3,731 Pool Champion
    I think there would still be a gap if the game was split between free to play, and pay to play. Im not sure, but the way i am seeing your post is telling me that you play for free? Nothing wrong with that at all.

So even if they did divide it between the 2 sides (f2p and p2p), there will be those free to play players who will still make a killing in the game anyway. Just because players have spent big money on cues, it does not make them great or better players.

I think the idea is mute to be honest. Somebody is going to be a great player in either set up, and those less good at the game will still lose. I hope you see what i am trying to say?
  • sizzzlersizzzler Posts: 47 Pool Player
    Mobile players should not have to pay because their devices already cost so much.
  • ΣXτIПζτΣXτIПζτ Posts: 98 Pool Player
    Free miniclip is quite unfair to people who play. Why not divide the game f2p and p2p? There's no reason I'm level 40 and should be playing a level 108 with a cue that is like 68 levels above mine. The game gives no chance to free players unless you play with crappy cues and low risk and then somehow get lucky with the higher rank divisions. It takes way too much skill and abstract luck for free players. I'm not saying free players are entitled to more in the game, but the game is moving way way too far in the direction of you have to play to compete with the better cues. I've played this game for 4 YEARS and I'm a level 40 with like 7K coins. People have made more in ONE DAY that I have in that time. NO FAIR TO FREE PLAYERS against PEOPLE WHO PAY TO GET COINS/CUES AT ALL. Game is driven towards profits and is disadvantaging free players and pushing them to pay.

Now the free coin thing gives us 1 COIN EACH instead of 15 COINS, so now free playing players (that don't buy anything with real money) have yet another obstacle to overcome. Totally disugsted with this because I have loved Miniclip 8 ball pool old version for forever, and new version doesn't have that feel for me. I'm just getting tired of every free game being pushed towards paying, it happens to every game and this one especially hurts since it's driving me away with all the changes towards pressuring people to pay or not play anymore.

That shinny amazing cue you referenced can be obtained winning leagues and getting cash to buy the legendary boxes. Haven't spent a dollar on this game and haven't legendary cues already. I think it's kind of dumb to categorize everybody into a pay to play category. Although I do see where you are coming from.
  • CorbyCorby Posts: 494 Pool Pro
    I like giving pay to play players the impression I'm easy to beat with my low level cue. Lol
  • ΣXτIПζτΣXτIПζτ Posts: 98 Pool Player

That shinny amazing cue you referenced can be obtained winning leagues and getting cash to buy the legendary boxes. Haven't spent a dollar on this game and haven't legendary cues already. I think it's kind of dumb to categorize everybody into a pay to play category. Although I do see where you are coming from.

**I have 2** auto corrected some words and can't edit
  • Deimos666Deimos666 Mobile / AndroidPosts: 589 Pool Expert
    I think others members summed it up pretty much. But throw in my 2 cents.

I've been playing this game for like 4 maybe 5 years or so now too, I'm level 169, with 2.5B coins, I play 100% FREE. The last part again: "I play 100% FREE". Makes no difference if you play FREE players or go against people that pay for things with real money.

I'm fairly decent with the beginner cue, as I've practiced with it a lot, and it has no powers at all, I'm also not too bad at no guidline games, as again I've done tons of practice without guidlines to where I feel confident, so high power cues mean nothing. The worst part is, people think they are required or it isn't fair, not true! What I'm getting at here is, just become proficient with your cue of choice; stick to the standard cue, or a country cue and that is all you need if you learn how to use it. You can then get something like the Black Hole Cue down the road once you earn more coins, but it won't make you better.

Money doesn't make the player, what makes one good, is the love of playing the game for what it is, lots of practice, honing your skills (No guide, indirect etc.) having fun, winning. You will level up / earn more coins as you go / get better.

The only gap between players, is those that put a lot of time in, to those that don't, and of course some cheaters mixed in there. I go up against players that "pay" and I don't even know it, I'm sure, all the time, I don't even think about it or care what cue others are using. You have to play a lot, and not be afraid to move up the tiers, otherwise you'll be stuck at level 40 for a long time.

Coins can be earned with your time / efforts, I know as I've done it (like many others on the forum here). Pool cash can be earned, not as easily, but again I've done it by winning leagues, not the top leagues, but was able to win lower ones to get some pool cash. Not easy, but can be done (or well, could of a couple years ago when I did it), especially if you hit it hard when first put into a new league.

Even if they divided like you want, you'd still be playing me at level 169 and Black Hole or Czar cue, still above what you want to play, no? Yet I have never paid real money to this game, we'd both be in the free play side. I'm not a great player, but is just an example since I also play FREE.

Truth is, we've all been through this, we all played and were beaten by other players much higher ranked than us, we've all had the same obstacles pretty much, we just worked our way up as you are slowly doing, takes time and effort.

Also, sounds like your a PC player, just get a tablet or iPad and play mobile, much more fun!!! ;) :D

It's easy to not focus on playing by getting hung up on simple things, just have fun and not worry about these trivial things!
  • G11gamingG11gaming Rock out :BPosts: 4,555 Pool Champion
    The catch with free to play games can be to....

Offer items that free players can't have

Give a leveling up boost

Make you look unique

Entice free players to spend by offering such shop items.

You can play the game for free and still have as much fun as those who pay.

As i've said a thousand times before on here!... i put in a few quid in every now and again for nearly 4 years now, but not a silly amount - £30.00!!!... or more is what you would pay for a popular m/p game that gives you hours of fun game-play, but that's just me.
  • Tálhá SájjádTálhá Sájjád UnknownsvillePosts: 672 Pool Expert
    edited April 7
    sizzzler wrote: »
    Mobile players should not have to pay because their devices already cost so much.

Agreed :joy:
  • ZogggZoggg Posts: 1,066 Pool Champion

PCs and laptops aren't exactly free.
    Zoggg wrote: »

I know, I burned through enough of them.
  • MozoidMozoid Posts: 773 Pool Expert
    All ftp players should get a free yearly device to play pool on and payed minimum wage to play.

• Nineballina GeNineballina Ge Posts: 411 Pool Pro

hey

sounds to me like if you've been playing 4 years and are still at level 40, nothing wrong with that, then it's where you want to be in the game, playing players of a similar skill level, playing regularly at similar buy-ins etc

but however the algorithm works, i'm sure it pairs you up against level 10-20 players sometimes who can barely hit a ball and you get a nice win

conversely the flip side to that coin is every now and then you might find yourself playing a players double the level you're at

the pay to play segmentation doesn't really have anything to do with it tbh, like has been said it doesn't mean anyone has a huge advantage over you as they have a massively superior cue, again as many have said, having played for 4 years there are numerous ways to obtain even a medium level cue that will not be dramatically different from the upper end cues

also, and i understand the point you're making, but just because the guy is at 108 doesnt mean he's any good, better than you etc, you may well have played far more games than him and be more experienced

i've been playing a couple of months and am 160 - something and am not really all that good tbh, it's not a barometer for skill

the cues are just something nice and shiny that other folk can have a look at whilst you're having a few shots during a game and if you feel so inclined, have a butchers through their collection.

i have never really played the pc verson old or new (knocked a couple of balls around to give it a try)
    so i can only speak for the mobile version, but when i started i think it was a free 50 chip bonus EVERY hour you get, 1 free spin and win per day, some person called jean b sends me 100 - 1000 chip present every now and then so there seems lots of ways that lower level, free to play players are given bonuses and help boosting their chip count

i wont go into it too intricately but the legendary cue collection gives you a certain % of a lost game buy in back which helps to offset the rake miniclip take from the higher games, a practical reason why pay to play players might want a legendary cue collection, but i wont go into that now, and those players would be mostly playing the last 5 levels against other legendary cue wielding peeps in berlin etc, o not something you need worry about.

before i started paying for cues, moving up the buy in levels etc, i thought miniclip (on mobile) did a pretty good job with starting people off with coins, cue pieces, bonuses etc, and their model for providing people with help, incentives and game balance was a good one

it does sound like, as is seemingly the case with a lot of folk, you're not loving the new version on pc, and noticing a lot of other things with the game that you never really had a problem with before

hopefully you'll adapt to the new version and get back to just enjoying playing the game

• Nanny OggNanny Ogg Growing Old DisgracefullyPosts: 10,653 Pool Forum Veteran
    edited April 9

I have to agree with everything that has been said by all the previous posters.
    I'm also a little perplexed how you can still be at level 40 after 4 years ?
    To still be stuck down there after so long makes me think that you probably only play a few games a week.
    After 7 years of play I am at level 129 on my main with over 41k games played plus another 22k+ games on my alts and guest play.
    As stated by the previous poster I spent the vast majority of that time in the low tiers and like you I have never spent a single penny.
    Everyone who plays this game regularly knows that there will always be level mismatches, at every level I have played I have been matched with players vastly higher and lower than my own, it is a part of the game that you have no choice but to accept.
    I have beaten players over a hundred levels higher than me and have been beaten by players over 100 levels below me.
    Levels are literally meaningless, at least back in the day your level could go down as well as go up, which was a real incentive to be the best that you can be.

I would suggest that you may like to give the beta version a second chance.
    I didn't like it either initially, but I persevered and slowly started getting used to the different physics.
    I'm glad I did too, because it took me over 6 years to make my first million and within the last few months playing in the beta I have turned that into over 5m. And that includes coming up against lots of those overpowered fancypantsy sdsf cues that we all dislike so much.
    You don't have to pay to win and you don't have to pay to have fun and enjoy yourself, but you do have to put in the effort and the practice if you want to improve your game and your coin balance.
    Post edited by Nanny Ogg on
  • Tálhá SájjádTálhá Sájjád UnknownsvillePosts: 672 Pool Expert
    Zoggg wrote: »

I got mine for free :joy:
  • whalersailorwhalersailor Posts: 112 Pool Pro
    Mobiles cost more? Not always. I play on a Kindle Fire 8 inch and I can't imagine switching to any other device. It cost $50.
  • MozoidMozoid Posts: 773 Pool Expert
    I played on my old kindle fire 7 inch for a while, it was great. I used a mouse for a while but that died and what with all the fur and wee... So.... I moved onto a stylus, but my screen got a bit scratched up and my lps just didn't sound the same. So I resorted to the finger as we all do from time to time, and now I play on my 8 inch for fun, and have even made a little cardboard outfit for my finger and called it fingermouse.

Pic, please.
  • LadyGeveLadyGeve Posts: 1,715 Pool Champion
    Have fun :)
  • Fred JonesFred Jones Posts: 18 Pool Player

I understand all too well where you are coming from! One way or another, the game is going to make sure that you lose especially on the mobile app. I am Level 123 so in their defense, there are many players who can consistently clean the clock with your a$$. In your defense, Miniclip should be ashamed of themselves for the **** they do to influence people to spend real money! Ther some higher rank players who will attempt to tell you that you are just trash but in many cases, that is ****! Sill is not relevant if you clean the table & drop the 8 and all of a sudden your opponent gets another turn. Skill isn't relevant when the english/spin mysteriously doesn't work or when the cue ball decides to keep it moving until it scratches or ducks behind another ball that was clearly in its line of site. Thats **** near paranormal. I can go on and on and on. At the end of the day, it is simply just my gift & curse. I can't stop playing!

I don't mind helping anyone so if you contact me directly, I can show you a few tips/tricks that helped me to compete better when I was lower ranked.