Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Abu Dhabi Championship thoughts

d4ve_tvd4ve_tv Posts: 132 Pool Pro
What do you guys/gals think of this newest Coin Pot championship Abu Dhabi?

Personally I think it's literally a waste of time and resources for the majority of players worldwide and just another way for Miniclip to tempt you to spend real money.

Since this tournament is only call your pocket on the 8, luck can be a big factor. Even the top echelon of players here couldn't possibly get all the way to even the top 100 without losing some games. So that means you'd have to use some of your pool cash to stay in the tournament. So unless you have a lot of pool cash in reserves, which most of us don't, then you're going to have to spend real money to buy pool cash.

Also (as of this writing since the pot and amounts are continually increasing) 4th to 100th place only gets 10M and most top players here can play Berlin and win 23M in an instant.

I'd venture to guess top players here have already figured this out and don't waste their time or pool cash. The only possible reason I can think of is if they're going for the ring.

Comments

• odlllboodlllbo Posts: 396 Pool Pro
    edited May 16
    Haven't played it yet but am surprised 4th place gets so little. I'd agree hardly anyone plays it for the coins.

Seems miniclip as figured out that these win streak style tourneys are a better way to get cash purchases than the standard tourney format (chicago etc) which is likely why we havent seen a new one of those in quite a while. Much more tempting to spend cash to continue a high win streak than it is to buy into round 2 of a standard tournament. And the more wins u have the more tempting it becomes. Devious >:) :D
  • d4ve_tvd4ve_tv Posts: 132 Pool Pro
    odlllbo wrote: »
    Haven't played it yet but am surprised 4th place gets so little. I'd agree hardly anyone plays it for the coins.

Well as of my writing it was only 10M, but it has 94 hours remaining so as the pot builds so will the coins. It's still saying 4th to 100th gets 10.476M but I see the overall pot has increased to 2B now.
    odlllbo wrote: »
    Seems miniclip as figured out that these win streak style tourneys are a better way to get cash purchases than the standard tourney format (chicago etc) which is likely why we havent seen a new one of those in quite a while. Much more tempting to spend cash to continue a high win streak than it is to buy into round 2 of a standard tournament. And the more wins u have the more tempting it becomes. Devious >:) :D

If you're talking about the tournaments where you have 2 rounds and you have to win 6 games in a row to get a win then they just had the San Francisco tournament that ended this past Sunday. Anyway, I agree with you 100%. Miniclip has a great marketing guy. Yes they're a for profit business and they're making a killing with the ingenious ways they come up with to tempt you to spend money. One way I'm surprised they haven't done yet is to market custom cues. There are many sports fans so why not offer cues with your favorite sports teams? or favorite band? Ok I'll stop giving them ideas LOL

• odlllboodlllbo Posts: 396 Pool Pro
    True they have the San Francisco tourney et al but these tournaments have all been out for for a while then they just reappear every couple monhts or so. But they haven't designed a brand new one like Abu Dhabi for quite some time. I assume they want to devote those programming hours to the more profitable tourney style.

Good point about the custom cues. I know customizable skins are popular in microtransaction games so I wouldn't be surprised if thats the next update we see.
  • !Murray!Murray Posts: 71 Pool Player
    edited May 16
    I just go for the rings in these. I have a 6 win streak atm, but I’ll just wait and play if I might fall outside of the top 100k. I will never waste pool cash tho.
  • ZogggZoggg Posts: 1,066 Pool Champion
    I played a guy who had a 10 10 10 10 cue, he played a stupid shot and potted the white. All the money he spent on it down the drain.
    With 70 hours remaining the pot is up to 3B now! Everyone start spending your cash! LOL
  • VijayGunnersVijayGunners Posts: 823 Pool Expert
    I only play for the ring and try to use as little pool cash as possible
  • Carlos TalesCarlos Tales Posts: 1,399 Pool Champion
    My thoughts is that these championships are the best part of the game. If any player wants to compete to see how well they can play then set yourself a 70 pool cash limit and go for the Top 100 award. I can’t think of anything better for using pool cash on.

Top 100 awards are far more desirable than any rings. And it doesn’t take a bucket full of pool cash or any real cash to win the awards.

I honestly don’t know why there’s so much negativity when there’s so much fun to be had competing for the award.
  • -Alyna-Alyna 80.7%Posts: 799 Pool Expert
    edited May 17
    My thoughts is that these championships are the best part of the game. If any player wants to compete to see how well they can play then set yourself a 70 pool cash limit and go for the Top 100 award. I can’t think of anything better for using pool cash on.

Top 100 awards are far more desirable than any rings. And it doesn’t take a bucket full of pool cash or any real cash to win the awards.

I honestly don’t know why there’s so much negativity when there’s so much fun to be had competing for the award.

I agree, I just hate the fact that it's always won by the same team players
    @Carlos Tales
    I appreciate your point of view and to an extent I agree wholeheartedly, but my key point to your statement is the part where you mentioned "... a 70 pool cash...". That's my point of contention. For those (which I can safely say are in the minority) who have that much pool cash, go for it and have fun. It's an awesome challenge to really prove your "mettle" against all the other players in the world and see how far you can get. But if you don't have 70 pool cash or any cash, then you either don't play or you fork over some real cash.

So saying these championships are the best part of the game wouldn't be my sentiment. It's cool and it's there, but as I said originally, these are really only for the higher tiered, upper echelon players. A newbie or even a mid level player who had decent skills would not make it very far without a large pool of pool cash.

I bring this up and yet I offer no solution... shame on me. Well if I had a solution I would offer it, but I really don't. Well, how about instead of just giving the 1st game "free", how about 3 chances?

I bet there are a few forum members here who have already challenged each other to see who got the most points. Just for the fun of it :smile:
  • LifeEternalLifeEternal Posts: 517 Pool Expert
    d4ve_tv wrote: »
    @Carlos Tales
    I appreciate your point of view and to an extent I agree wholeheartedly, but my key point to your statement is the part where you mentioned "... a 70 pool cash...". That's my point of contention. For those (which I can safely say are in the minority) who have that much pool cash, go for it and have fun. It's an awesome challenge to really prove your "mettle" against all the other players in the world and see how far you can get. But if you don't have 70 pool cash or any cash, then you either don't play or you fork over some real cash.

So saying these championships are the best part of the game wouldn't be my sentiment. It's cool and it's there, but as I said originally, these are really only for the higher tiered, upper echelon players. A newbie or even a mid level player who had decent skills would not make it very far without a large pool of pool cash.

I bring this up and yet I offer no solution... shame on me. Well if I had a solution I would offer it, but I really don't. Well, how about instead of just giving the 1st game "free", how about 3 chances?

I bet there are a few forum members here who have already challenged each other to see who got the most points. Just for the fun of it :smile:

and just for mobile players ;)
  • Nineballina GeNineballina Ge Posts: 411 Pool Pro
    Zoggg wrote: »
    I played a guy who had a 10 10 10 10 cue, he played a stupid shot and potted the white. All the money he spent on it down the drain.

sounds like me
    d4ve_tv wrote: »
    @Carlos Tales

I agree with what you say and realise not everyone has pool cash to use so these championships can’t be played by everyone. Some championships before (Dublin first time round and others) had a free entry to round 1 throughout. If MC cared about their customers which they obviously don’t they would make it a free first round entry for all championships.

Still worth saving the free pc you get from levelling up and watching videos etc to give it a go even if it’s just to win the ring like what Vj does.
    the rings seem pretty easy to get tbh

i never tried with the first two on here, i think it was a brazil one and kyoto, then someone clued me in that top 100k get a ring, so i played the last one, and i think i came top 10k or 20k and spend 8 pool cash, i think i was on match 9 or 10 and it wanted 16 pc to continue, i mightve even started again a couple of times just because i enjoyed the format, cant remember tbh

but this time i won 4, then used 2 pool cash, won another 4 then used 4 pool cash. won another two, then lost, but it said i'm in the top 20k so i cant really see dropping out of it

like you said unless you have a prop bet with a mate it doesnt matter if you come 102nd or 99996th you're getting the same prize, so it seems a bit top heavy and not much incentive to try and crack the top 100, if like me you havent got the time, or probably arn't good enough, could maybe do top 1000 if i really tried, and set a limit of X amount of re-buys, 64 pool cash or something

i do like seeing some of the accounts in the top 10 though, wow some serious stats there, i'm sure the dude winning it this time i recognise from last time though? abu something?

with all the good players out there be pretty cray if the same guy won it

and some dude with 83% win rate, and 100/110 tourney wins, and two madrid rings, chicago etc in there so not micky mouse tourneys, ridic tourney stats to have at the top level of tourneys, and i do like some of there cue collections lol, makes mine look pretty rubbish :D

is this a "new" tourney of this format? i cant remember having ever seen anyone with this ring before

none of you guys, i know @Carlos Tales has a lot of the, top 100, rings, gonna give the top 100 a crack?

@Alyna @Obel Putiah @odlllbo

i'm sure there are a few others on here who could get top 100 if they really tried, although i know some of the people with ridic stats on here still like pc version so probs arnt that bothered with this format

be good to see one of you guys breaking up the monopoly of team accounts winning leagues etc, flying the flag for the forum, although i'm minded one of you said that team accounts play this tourney which, yeah just about bragging rights then tbh and i suppose you cant really beat a team thats playing non stop, maybe thats what that abu guy does that always seems to be at the top
  • ZogggZoggg Posts: 1,066 Pool Champion
    @Carlos Tales how many games do you have to win to get in the top 100?
    You need for the shorter tournaments (96 hrs) approx 96k points which is approx 25 4096 point games. Of course it depends how many times you need to start from round 1 that will determine how many games you need to play. The least amount of pool cash I’ve used to win the award is 38. I played around 50 games.

Abu Dhabi is 120 hrs so more points will be needed. 110 to 120k will be required.
    i only just noticed this one was a bit longer

looks like the same dude is gonna win it though

woulda been good to see some faces from here in the top 100

a lot more players playing, when i played the dublin one i played the first match and it said i was in 800,000th or so place, so i was guessing that the amount of people that had taken their first go and won, gives you an idea of the numbers

this time though it was 1.3m position after winning a game so maybe because its a longer format, or brand new one people all want to have a crack, although ive only been playing since febuary i dont know if these have been around for months or years

only remember seeing a couple of people with more than 1 so guessing not that long
  • -Alyna-Alyna 80.7%Posts: 799 Pool Expert
    Reached the 109th place with 32 cash and the guy who broke my streak played some fluke shots, not really happy :D :D
    edited May 19

woulda been good to see some faces from here in the top 100

There’s 2 forum members in the top 100. They’ve been there since day 2
  • ObelObel Posts: 76 Pool Player
    Awesome. One of them is you?
    Great