Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
If you are not currently able to login via Facebook login, please right click on the Facebook icon and choose the option to "open in a new tab". Thank you for understanding
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Tactical Breaks

Tommy 37Tommy 37 Posts: 37 Pool Player
I’ve been playing just Mumbai for the last week or so, and recently noticed that i have gone from playing opponents in their 200’s, to players in their 300’s and above.

Against the lower level players, nearly every game would be one shot. (ie a denial, or table cleared after one missed shot).

Against higher level players i’d say about 1/4 of their breaks are clearly tactical, a group of balls left in the original position.

I am close to 75% denials on my breaks, so am reluctant to lose that advantage, but i imagine most of these opponents at that level would at least have the same denial rate from breaks if they chose, so it’s obviously a fun change up for them to leave a cluster.

Do people mostly like a “shoot-out” denial style game, or a tactical snooker fest?

I don’t mind either way, but the more i play the more i enjoy the longer games.

Comments

• 81U381U3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯Posts: 1,254 Pool Champion
    I would enjoy playing against someone who is good at snookering me. It's a good challenge to try to get out of one. Most players in this game, after being snookered, will smash the cue ball and hope for the best...
  • odlllboodlllbo Posts: 440 Pool Pro
    That's interesting that more high level players are starting to go for the defensive break. Could be just a fun change up like u say, a way of making the racks more tactical.

Against a certain range of opponents it could actually be a smart play ev wise. Say if u run out on 60% of ur breaks but ur opponent only gets out 25% of the time u leave them with a big cluster in the rack area. Unless ur opponent is playing smart defense often enough to counter this, u could get a lot of value with them committing to the tougher runout then running into trouble with the last couple balls. Giving u a big advantage when the ball count is 6 or 7 to 2 in your favour.

Think the two main disadvantages when ur faced with a defensive break are 1) u have to commit to ur group on the breakout shot before u see the lay of the balls, and 2) once the rack is loosened a bit with a soft break it's harder to get a good spread of the balls and ur more likely to leave clusters. So unless u have a decent defensive game to balance these disadvantages a player may be in trouble against this strategy.

Would be interesting to see the database (if one exists:) of the many millions of games played and see how often a player runs out against a soft break vs how often they break and run, and how often the defensive breaker wins the game. This added to the 'let's see what u got' psychological factor of the defensive break... maybe there's some value to be had.

Plus it makes for more interesting matches :)
  • RollYour RockRollYour Rock Posts: 259 Pool Pro
    edited June 7
    Tommy 37 wrote: »
    I’ve been playing just Mumbai for the last week or so, and recently noticed that i have gone from playing opponents in their 200’s, to players in their 300’s and above.

Against the lower level players, nearly every game would be one shot. (ie a denial, or table cleared after one missed shot).

Against higher level players i’d say about 1/4 of their breaks are clearly tactical, a group of balls left in the original position.

I am close to 75% denials on my breaks, so am reluctant to lose that advantage, but i imagine most of these opponents at that level would at least have the same denial rate from breaks if they chose, so it’s obviously a fun change up for them to leave a cluster.

Do people mostly like a “shoot-out” denial style game, or a tactical snooker fest?

I don’t mind either way, but the more i play the more i enjoy the longer games.
    odlllbo wrote: »
    That's interesting that more high level players are starting to go for the defensive break. Could be just a fun change up like u say, a way of making the racks more tactical.

Against a certain range of opponents it could actually be a smart play ev wise. Say if u run out on 60% of ur breaks but ur opponent only gets out 25% of the time u leave them with a big cluster in the rack area. Unless ur opponent is playing smart defense often enough to counter this, u could get a lot of value with them committing to the tougher runout then running into trouble with the last couple balls. Giving u a big advantage when the ball count is 6 or 7 to 2 in your favour.

Think the two main disadvantages when ur faced with a defensive break are 1) u have to commit to ur group on the breakout shot before u see the lay of the balls, and 2) once the rack is loosened a bit with a soft break it's harder to get a good spread of the balls and ur more likely to leave clusters. So unless u have a decent defensive game to balance these disadvantages a player may be in trouble against this strategy.

Would be interesting to see the database (if one exists:) of the many millions of games played and see how often a player runs out against a soft break vs how often they break and run, and how often the defensive breaker wins the game. This added to the 'let's see what u got' psychological factor of the defensive break... maybe there's some value to be had.

Plus it makes for more interesting matches :)

"Hall of Fame" question and response!👍
    * I hope more players will join in and contribute..
  • christhecueballchristhecueball Posts: 469 Pool Pro
    for fun? why not........ but dont do it to me, i love to punish softbreaks :D

ftw? never ever, when you have a 70-80% denialrate its a very bad idea to let your oppo on the table and you wont get better odds with a softbreak (on top we dont lose every game we dont run)....... its imo another thing when you dont have a high den rate, then it could work out in your favour!
  • IrOnMaGiKIrOnMaGiK Posts: 116 Pool Pro
    81U3 wrote: »
    I would enjoy playing against someone who is good at snookering me. It's a good challenge to try to get out of one. Most players in this game, after being snookered, will smash the cue ball and hope for the best...

I love snookering 😂