Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

what would you do?

13»

Comments

• JJoeJJoe UKPosts: 788 Pool Expert
    JJoe wrote: »
    4 a) so those pesky on the rail tippy tappy situations :)

how do you feel about these spots, and who tends to have the advantage, in the end arnt we just heading towards the corner pocket, however many shots later it is? what are we trying to achieve?

hnecujbngixz.png

several shots later as we headed towards the middle pocket i think he could see he was gonna leave an opening over or around the middle and was forced to do something a bit more creative but came unstuck, maybe i forced him into the mistake, maybe he got bored, but is that what we're trying to achieve, positive safety of just try to get oppo to make a mistake?

d1doec7kdjof.png

b) so this one was on the cards for a while and then went on for a good few minutes...

w4bwwtxtdvgq.png

i messed up in the end and left the black of the pocket, luckily for me he missed it, and pretty sick for him wound up sending the black into the pocket down the other end of the table, but i played one of these situations last week where i didnt get away with it, after a 10-15 shot exchange, knocked it over the bin very marginally, and he smashed it in

4kah7sdykmgw.png

c) looking at the above examples above this is one that we can see coming a few shots out, is this a situation destined to replicate the ones above, and are you happy for it to do so, if you get the chance to see that that's the way it's going is it a situation you're happy to let happen or is it omething to try and avoid at all costs

o3dq0mprl80f.png

so how do you feel about the above spots and these situations in general, is there a rule for them you tend to follow, what is your goal, and is there another way instead of getting into these spots that can maybe move you away from these exchanges that maybe people have missed or over looked

obv in these spots if ur on the right side you get ball in hand a few times, i've noticed that trying to get his ball of of the cushion ever so slighty seems to be an advantage, very hard to judge but means further shots from him will just connect to his ball and move it even more away from the rail, eventually opening up the rail completely, like i said very tricky to judge and maybe a but idealistic but the chance came up once in an encounter like this and i saw how difficult made the exchange for my opponent and keeping the rail

anyway those are my thoughts and observations on those horrible exchanges that tacticaly can be quite interesting but can also be laborious, time consuming and soul crushing if you're on the wrong end of one :D

ideas?

1. Tie the black up with his ball, then on next shot free your ball - in hopes you can then use your ball to break out black while potting it?
    2. with ball in hand, put cb behind the 5 and roll the 5 other near the 8, to set up a break out
    3. its his shot so it really depends what he does, but if he just taps up - go game! you're in control so put your balls and break out accordingly

@Nineballina Ge what you think?

*pot
  • طلحہ سجادطلحہ سجاد UnknownsvillePosts: 672 Pool Expert
    I won this game, guess how did I manage to do so :wink:
    ppctqslx1o1n.png
    ppctqslx1o1n.png

put black in front of cluster, then get your ball out after?
  • Nineballina GeNineballina Ge Posts: 171 Pool Pro
    @odlllbo

i just realized in my first 3 spots i play 3 fouls, i'm not an overly passive/cautious player, so i don't think i have a naturally negative view of the game, it's just tactically i think the attacking options can be a bit more tricky to spot, and execute, so maybe with a bit more practice and improvement i might be a bit more naturally attacking, but i'm not confident on cannon/position based shots, and think if i mess it up i put myself in a bad spot when i can go with the above choices, which are more neutral, but leave the onus on the opponent to mess up instead of me, which weirdly is the opposite of how i play in real life, but i'm a lot more confident in real life

i love the number 2 shot, you can see the wheels turning as you're writing and come up with it but the major problem i see with that shot is convincing anyone we actually meant it and it wasn't just a hit and hope lol ;)

and option 3 i think, if you read my initial thinking we're sort of on the same page about, it was what i was looking at and semed like the right line to take, but just didnt fancy it after my first shot, it just seemed to me like i was gonna skim in off the way i was looking to play it, so thought i'd see if he did something stupid instead, and if not with the balls the way they were i couldnt really be in any trouble that i could see do felt like i was free rolling on giving him the chance to mess up, but the way you say it makes it sound so standard, but moving the black out there off the 11 without going in off just felt really tricky for me, so i kinda bottled it lol

@JJoe

1) is such an attacking shot for me in that position, a mm out and it's a shot if i get wrong i lose the game, if i'm reading what you're saying right? although i think it kinda went that way, i just did it a bit more cautiously, tried to move it to the black, but i felt like i'd rather under hit it than mangle it and lose the game and a few shots later when he was tied up by the black and middle, he sorta messed up for me, but i think you've confirmed that maybe these exchanges dont have to go on for as long as they sometimes do, with me anyway lol

2) i like this option, saves the impending cat and mouse game, that i was lucky to win tbh, i think i'd be adverse to putting another ball up there as, like i said above, i think my cannon shots are pretty poor and i do tend to mis-judge pace/spin etc, sometimes so i think i try and play too perfectly sometimes where obv sometimes in this game you do have to trust a little bit to luck, but if it's a part of my game i'm not confident with i'll try and avoid it

3) i'm pretty sure that he just let the clock run down, or tapped it and gave us the ball, but how do you knock the 14 out without potting the black? it looks horrible to me?
  • Nineballina GeNineballina Ge Posts: 171 Pool Pro
    ppctqslx1o1n.png

this looks like an ugly ugly situation for both

i'm guessing he knocks the black in trying to move his balls out?
  • طلحہ سجادطلحہ سجاد UnknownsvillePosts: 672 Pool Expert
    JJoe wrote: »
    ppctqslx1o1n.png

put black in front of cluster, then get your ball out after?
    ppctqslx1o1n.png

this looks like an ugly ugly situation for both

i'm guessing he knocks the black in trying to move his balls out?

I pushed the black in front of the pocket... then cleared the top right pocket... he moved his red ball and gave me the cue ball lying at the bottom left side of the table... I banked the orange in the top right pocket and the black was a piece of cake :smiley:
    @odlllbo

i just realized in my first 3 spots i play 3 fouls, i'm not an overly passive/cautious player, so i don't think i have a naturally negative view of the game, it's just tactically i think the attacking options can be a bit more tricky to spot, and execute, so maybe with a bit more practice and improvement i might be a bit more naturally attacking, but i'm not confident on cannon/position based shots, and think if i mess it up i put myself in a bad spot when i can go with the above choices, which are more neutral, but leave the onus on the opponent to mess up instead of me, which weirdly is the opposite of how i play in real life, but i'm a lot more confident in real life

i love the number 2 shot, you can see the wheels turning as you're writing and come up with it but the major problem i see with that shot is convincing anyone we actually meant it and it wasn't just a hit and hope lol ;)

and option 3 i think, if you read my initial thinking we're sort of on the same page about, it was what i was looking at and semed like the right line to take, but just didnt fancy it after my first shot, it just seemed to me like i was gonna skim in off the way i was looking to play it, so thought i'd see if he did something stupid instead, and if not with the balls the way they were i couldnt really be in any trouble that i could see do felt like i was free rolling on giving him the chance to mess up, but the way you say it makes it sound so standard, but moving the black out there off the 11 without going in off just felt really tricky for me, so i kinda bottled it lol

@JJoe

1) is such an attacking shot for me in that position, a mm out and it's a shot if i get wrong i lose the game, if i'm reading what you're saying right? although i think it kinda went that way, i just did it a bit more cautiously, tried to move it to the black, but i felt like i'd rather under hit it than mangle it and lose the game and a few shots later when he was tied up by the black and middle, he sorta messed up for me, but i think you've confirmed that maybe these exchanges dont have to go on for as long as they sometimes do, with me anyway lol

2) i like this option, saves the impending cat and mouse game, that i was lucky to win tbh, i think i'd be adverse to putting another ball up there as, like i said above, i think my cannon shots are pretty poor and i do tend to mis-judge pace/spin etc, sometimes so i think i try and play too perfectly sometimes where obv sometimes in this game you do have to trust a little bit to luck, but if it's a part of my game i'm not confident with i'll try and avoid it

3) i'm pretty sure that he just let the clock run down, or tapped it and gave us the ball, but how do you knock the 14 out without potting the black? it looks horrible to me?

Just realised I made a mistake for number 1! I thought you had ball in hand! I thought you could just move the white, and tap the black....

And for number 3, don't worry about potting the black, all you need to do is go back cushion first to go into it, half ball off that ball opposite side of table, top right spin? I think anyway
13»