Please keep our forum rules in mind: we aspire to provide a safe environment for our users, so will not tolerate discriminatory, hateful, inflammatory or threatening posts. Thank you. http://mcgam.es/forum-rules
If you are not currently able to login via Facebook login, please right click on the Facebook icon and choose the option to "open in a new tab". Thank you for understanding
Please note that registration for the forum is age-restricted.

Best 9-Ball break?

odlllboodlllbo Posts: 437 Pool Pro
Are there any 9 ball players here that have found a good break shot?

This one seems to be the most popular and best odds of making a ball but the cue ball goes flying and I find you're often hooked on the one when the balls stop.
l4bxmnly4lx1.png

With this one it's a bit easier to control the cue ball but u end up with a dry break more often.
bqqm3cyh583h.png

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Nanny OggNanny Ogg Growing Old DisgracefullyPosts: 10,849 Pool Forum Veteran
    This is my mine, I usually pot a ball on the break and most times when I don't I leave the number 1 snookered for my oppo. I have also made a 'magic' break a couple of times with this

92xg39pwvvn6.png

I also want to say how much I dislike 9ball, due to the amount of people who just hit and hope and the number of times they manage to pot the 9ball against all the odds and totally fluked.
    I prefer playing "call pockets" due to that and would love to see the rules change so that potting the 9 early is no longer allowed.
  • odlllboodlllbo Posts: 437 Pool Pro
    Nice one Nanny Ogg, I'll try that break and report back. Ill play around with different force cues to see if i can find the best speed cuz I think with the 9 ball break harder is not always better.

And I totally agree about the 'hit and hopers', which is I prefer to play in Dallas with call pocket on each shot. The ball in hand penalty for potting in the wrong pocket really makes it not worth it to hit and hope.

Too bad the player pool is much smaller in Dallas than Miami, I guess a lot people prefer pinball to pool :p .
    odlllbo wrote: »
    I guess a lot people prefer pinball to pool :p .

OMG hahahaha that is so true ! LOL

• G11gamingG11gaming Rock out :BPosts: 4,555 Pool Champion
    Are there any 9 ball players here that have found a good break shot?

This one seems to be the most popular and best odds of making a ball but the cue ball goes flying and I find you're often hooked on the one when the balls stop.
    l4bxmnly4lx1.png

Any thoughts?

That's the golden break....

It was!....mc have adjusted the weightings. :p
  • ZogggZoggg Posts: 1,075 Pool Champion
    I just smash the break straight down the middle.

I only play in Dallas, can't stand the hit and hope merchants in Miami.
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    This is my mine, I usually pot a ball on the break and most times when I don't I leave the number 1 snookered for my oppo. I have also made a 'magic' break a couple of times with this

92xg39pwvvn6.png

I also want to say how much I dislike 9ball, due to the amount of people who just hit and hope and the number of times they manage to pot the 9ball against all the odds and totally fluked.
    I prefer playing "call pockets" due to that and would love to see the rules change so that potting the 9 early is no longer allowed.

I couldn't get that break to work for me Nanny, kept leaving a big cluster. It must only work on pc.
    Zoggg wrote: »
    I just smash the break straight down the middle.

I only play in Dallas, can't stand the hit and hope merchants in Miami.

I do this sometimes, might be the best way to go. Would u say u make a ball more often than not?
    edited January 13

I couldn't get that break to work for me Nanny, kept leaving a big cluster. It must only work on pc.

I was under the impression that the pc beta version was supposed to be almost the same as mobile, but obviously that isn't true.

I only use a 3-3-3 or a 2-3-2 cue so although I break as hard as I can there really isn't very much power there on the beta, and switching between the 2 pc versions means I am constantly misjudging my shots LOL
    I am still struggling to find a decent break that works in the beta 8ball for me LOL
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »

I was under the impression that the pc beta version was supposed to be almost the same as mobile, but obviously that isn't true.

I only use a 3-3-3 or a 2-3-2 cue so although I break as hard as I can there really isn't very much power there on the beta, and switching between the 2 pc versions means I am constantly misjudging my shots LOL
    I am still struggling to find a decent break that works in the beta 8ball for me LOL

I thought that too about the beta version tho I haven't played it myself. Maybe I need to keep tweaking it to find the spot/speed/spin. It's amazing how often ur opponent gets the break when ur trying to practice ur break :D
  • christhecueballchristhecueball Posts: 465 Pool Pro
    im unsure, but since you have no pushout, i think a safety break could do wonders.......... on the downside, when you meet a hitnhoper it could be over after his first smack lol
    It's amazing how often ur opponent gets the break when ur trying to practice ur break :D

LOL isn't that what the practice tables are for ? :p ;) :D >:)
    Oh wait, forget that last post of mine, I bet MC don't give you a 9ball practice table LOL
    im unsure, but since you have no pushout, i think a safety break could do wonders.......... on the downside, when you meet a hitnhoper it could be over after his first smack lol

I think I've come across a few players who were going for the safety break but since so few play a second game I'm not sure. I agree that if there was a break that could get the cue ball consistently snuggled on the rail behind a cluster that would be darn tough to beat with no push out.

Since the hitnhopers are without shame, the threat of a sarcastic "well played" wouldn't be enough to deter them from smashing away at that one ball :p so you'd need to have them really hooked well.
    edited January 13

I think I've come across a few players who were going for the safety break but since so few play a second game I'm not sure. I agree that if there was a break that could get the cue ball consistently snuggled on the rail behind a cluster that would be darn tough to beat with no push out.

Since the hitnhopers are without shame, the threat of a sarcastic "well played" wouldn't be enough to deter them from smashing away at that one ball :p so you'd need to have them really hooked well.

should be makeabale to figure out a good safetybreak....... but then, i just remembered theres no 3 foul rule too, so even with bih and that closed pack you need to play a darn good defensive game to prevail in the end!
    but....if i would play there i would try it out (since im a darn good defensive player :D )
    I love me a good safety battle too. I think I've got my next 9-ball goal: the perfect safety break.
  • JJoeJJoe OLD PC/MOBILE Posts: 943 Pool Expert
    I've been trying to work out a good 9 ball break for some time now and it's so hard, the differences in split and positioning are so dependant on small differences in how you pull the power back.

One I've surprisingly had most success with is just hitting the front ball head on from the middle with top spin
    I love me a good safety battle too. I think I've got my next 9-ball goal: the perfect safety break.

keep us updated! :D
    joe. wrote: »
    I've been trying to work out a good 9 ball break for some time now and it's so hard, the differences in split and positioning are so dependant on small differences in how you pull the power back.

One I've surprisingly had most success with is just hitting the front ball head on from the middle with top spin

Yea this might end up being the best break, especially if MC keeps adjusting the break physics slightly to prevent pattern breaking.

I've found using this break with full speed (9 force) and about half a ball of top spin gets a good spread and lets the cue ball spin back into the pack. Only problem is you still end up with a dry break pretty often and since the one ball tends to stay up table you're often hooked when u do make a ball. I'd say u end up with a clear shot on the one less than half the time but I need a bigger sample size to be sure.

Also it might be a case of just needing a minor tweak in spin or angle to make it work so this break is a definite contender :) .

keep us updated! :D

So I was toying around with the safety break and realized that at least 3 balls need to hit a rail for it to be a legal break. Otherwise your opponent gets ball in hand. This definitely makes finding a consistent safety break much harder and without a practice 9 ball table likely a very time consuming endeavor. :D

By fluke this break was one of the first tries that I had by just skimming the one and coming two rails behind the pack:
    cjz0adh4bdka.png
    I'd say without the 3 balls to rail rule this would be pretty tough to escape from :)

So in light of this 3 ball rule I think ill stick to looking for a solid offensive break. The search continues!
    yeah sure you have a breakrule, otherwise it would be too easy :D
    but it should be possible with a cut on the one when you break from the side!
    :D Thats true it would be too easy. I think the rule irl 9 ball is 2 balls need to hit a rail. Not sure tho. In the break result i showed above the 4 and 6 hit rails. That extra ball makes a big difference! :D

Maybe ill give it another try in a bit.